Things I love about this addiction.

Loco57

Dec 1, 2011
Melbourne Australia
Good evening all, I have recently (in the past year) since retirement of sorts been on a bit of an upgrade project even though nothing has left the stable;). Starting with speakers Amphion Krypton2 to the new 3X version teamed with a REL 6 stack, this followed with a trio of Aquas finest Formula dac, LinQ, and just last night a La Diva M2 CD spinner and for good measure a new pair of Stax SR-X9000 ear speakers. I like probably most of you have gone away from playing CD's and streaming is the norm, convenient vast choice and in many cases perceived better sound quality? Me to a tee until the La Diva was teamed with the Formula dac yesterday afternoon, how wrong I have been despite having a very respectable streaming setup, if you thought the humble Redbook CD had seen its day think again.

I originally auditioned the La Diva out of curiosity (costly mistake) it literally made you sit up and take notice of just how great the CD Redbook format can sound nothing short of phonemonal even using the same Formula dac and LinQ in the streaming rig that now sounds just ok by comparison. I tried two other drives I have an Esoteric D03 and an Audio Analogue Maestro V2 via digital out into the Formula, while the AA was clearly the better of the two it paled by comparison compared to the Aqua La Diva. It just goes to show don't dismiss supposedly old technology as it certainly proved me clearly wrong. Even ripped WAV files from the same played CD's have no chance against this Aqua combo it was quite a collective holy #$@& realisation for the three of us who were here yesterday.

I now have a vast CD collection to relisten too in a way I have never heard them before, don't know about you but this is why I love this hobby, just my 2 cents.

Reactions: J007B
Nice, congratulations on your Aqua La Diva. I spin exclusively Redbook CD on my system using a reclocker after CD transport *), haven't bothered with streaming yet. Good physical CD playback beats a lot of "high-res" streaming that is typically (not always) suboptimal; sounds more natural. CD is in fact a high resolution format.

*) see my signature; for visibility on phone you need to turn phone broadside.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu