Thinking about starting a YouTube channel on high end audio.

Tabl10s

Jul 30, 2019
Sacramento
People who actually know how to review. Most of them are wanna-be reviewers with a 12 word vocabulary.

They have near zero technical background, so all they can do is recite the brochure in their videos, then use that 12 word vocabulary of theirs to describe what they're hearing.

As far as "Jay" that you're talking about, I don't know which you're referring to. The one from Canada is alright and tolerable and a nice, down to earth guy, the other one is an arrogant tool. Unfortunately, I run into him every year I go to the Florida Audio Expo, which means I'll end up seeing him again here in a couple weeks... Joy.

The Jay from Canada, I ran into him last year at the Expo and he was a pleasant guy. His reviews have more substance to them than the other Jay, that's for sure.
I don't want to get banned so I'll keep it short. Both "Jay's" have their faults. 'Big' Jay, has accomplished something that no one else is doing/has done on YT/in print.

You get to see/hear brands that normally, wouldn't be matched.

'Little' Jay, will repeat the same words/phrases 8 times in a two-sentence description. It's very irritating to watch and hear.

Two sides of the same coin.

Reactions: Chops

Tabl10s

Jul 30, 2019
Sacramento
I believe that a audiophile channel that had a better connection to music would be something unique. All of the channels I see are 100% about gear, and nothing about music.

All of the music mentioned in TAS/S'phile reviews mean nothing to me. A great recording of a Harpsichord(kill me now!)? Hideous bright brass instruments(plug my ears, please)? 'Jazz at the Pawnshop', Roger Waters or Billie Holiday...

Pass.

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
All of the music mentioned in TAS/S'phile reviews mean nothing to me. A great recording of a Harpsichord(kill me now!)? Hideous bright brass instruments(plug my ears, please)? 'Jazz at the Pawnshop', Roger Waters or Billie Holiday()?

Pass.
So you don’t like music? lol

A discussion of great sounding pressings, labels, and well recorded albums would be appreciated by many audiophiles.

Reactions: Lee

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You might have to hire actors if you go to people's houses... seems like camera shyness is the big block to that.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
I don't want to get banned so I'll keep it short. Both "Jay's" have their faults. 'Big' Jay, has accomplished something that no one else is doing/has done on YT/in print.

You get to see/hear brands that normally, wouldn't be matched.

'Little' Jay, will repeat the same words/phrases 8 times in a two-sentence description. It's very irritating to watch and hear.

Two sides of the same coin.
You won't get banned, and I won't argue, because I agree.

That being said, "Little Jay" is far more tolerable, personable and polite than "Big Jay".

Since I have met both, it becomes a bit more personal, and character and personality goes a long way, and I hold more value in that than whatever content they have on YouTube.

Arrogant, bombastic people, I drop like a hot potato.

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
People who actually know how to review. Most of them are wanna-be reviewers with a 12 word vocabulary.

They have near zero technical background, so all they can do is recite the brochure in their videos, then use that 12 word vocabulary of theirs to describe what they're hearing.

As far as "Jay" that you're talking about, I don't know which you're referring to. The one from Canada is alright and tolerable and a nice, down to earth guy, the other one is an arrogant tool. Unfortunately, I run into him every year I go to the Florida Audio Expo, which means I'll end up seeing him again here in a couple weeks... Joy.

The Jay from Canada, I ran into him last year at the Expo and he was a pleasant guy. His reviews have more substance to them than the other Jay, that's for sure.

That being said, "Little Jay" is far more tolerable, personable and polite than "Big Jay".

Since I have met both, it becomes a bit more personal, and character and personality goes a long way, and I hold more value in that than whatever content they have on YouTube.

Please take your critiques to “big Jay” directly and don’t trash him here and take potshots on a public forum where he is banned and can’t even respond. Pretty lame imho

Reactions: Lee and Pokey77

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Big Jay has been a very nice person when I have met him and recently when we speak on the phone.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Please take your critiques to “big Jay” directly and don’t trash him here and take potshots on a public forum where he is banned and can’t even respond. Pretty lame imho
For one, it's a public forum where we can speak our minds. Two, I had no clue that he was banned on this forum. I wonder why...

Pretty lame IMHO.

Chops

Apr 27, 2016
Central Florida
Big Jay has been a very nice person when I have met him and recently when we speak on the phone.
Who knows, maybe he was having some issues or something when I encountered him. Either way, you know what they say about first impressions.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Lee, as others have mentioned there already exists too many channels about music and gear so who really needs yet another channel on such topics?

What seems to be missing and what is sorely needed in this industry is education. Such as developing genuine listening skills, speaker placement, subwoofer tuning, speaker+sub tuning, fidelity of electric current and input signal flow, how to assemble a system that is genuinely musical, etc.

Not that you yourself need to necessarily be an expert in any category. But you seem to have an inquisitive nature and if you were to seek out to interview those who really knew their stuff, an angle like that just might go a long way for all of us. Especially when it seems so many think spending time on their system is little more than upgrading a component or 3.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing