Tired tubes?

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Hi Is it possible for a power tube to test good but be "worn"? I recently bought a preowned amp that uses Winged C 6550 ( date codes are from 2001 and 2006) I tested all the tubes discarded the bad ones but was wondering, is it possible that the tubes test good but are really not at the top of their game sonically? The previous owner did not give me an estimate of the hours on the tubes but I suspect from their answer it was significant. Amp is a CJ Premier 12.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hi Is it possible for a power tube to test good but be "worn"? I recently bought a preowned amp that uses Winged C 6550 ( date codes are from 2001 and 2006) I tested all the tubes discarded the bad ones but was wondering, is it possible that the tubes test good but are really not at the top of their game sonically? The previous owner did not give me an estimate of the hours on the tubes but I suspect from their answer it was significant. Amp is a CJ Premier 12.
Nice amplifier.I would try new tubes in it and see if the sound is better or not.

Lowrider75

Dec 4, 2019
There is a range in the measurement of a good tube. The tube may be near the bottom of that "good" scale which can mean it has many hours and may work ok in some circuits. But I wouldn't call this a usable tube.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
OK so I tried some of my buddy's EH KT88 and the amp complained and blew a fuse so I immediately removed them and put back in my 6550's and everything is working and I am not going to screw around rolling power tubes. I will only put in 6550s lol

Reactions: Lowrider75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing