Trans Fi Salvation rim drive tt and Terminator air-bearing linear tracking arm

Finally after 22 long months, I get my analog rig reinstalled. If there’s any interest in it, I’m very happy to chat further.
To kick off, here’s the link to the designer’s web page:

www.trans-fi.com Step009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's pretty much identical in plan area/thickness to existing plinth, marginally (5mm) taller arm mount.
I'll ask Jonathan to chip in with photos of final product, sketches etc, if he's happy to.
Tom, the sound from your 124 has swayed me in this decision. I am not expecting a replication of your sound, but being totally impressed with what I heard at yours, and critically not hearing any nasties, meant that I go into the project with more confidence.

Reactions: montesquieu

Attachments

• 0ABF774B-F471-4DE3-836D-50EE8AAF111F.jpeg
    0ABF774B-F471-4DE3-836D-50EE8AAF111F.jpeg
    797.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 9A5FFB6E-86FC-4020-BB05-422DB50390CD.jpeg
    9A5FFB6E-86FC-4020-BB05-422DB50390CD.jpeg
    623.4 KB · Views: 32
  • ECFD9593-4C5F-4B73-977D-4F960A8479F3.jpeg
    ECFD9593-4C5F-4B73-977D-4F960A8479F3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 31
Reactions: carolus
Those look pretty cool, Jonathan. Maybe it was serendipity that I happened to visit Tom with what I consider a top five tt demo, using in his Thorens 124 the very material choice you're proposing in this project.
Since buying my Salvation in 2013, I've replaced the motor/psu twice culminating in the SOTA Eclipse (sitting on a Symposium Svelte pad)/Farad LPS, isolated it on a 150kg combined Stacore Advanced platform on inert slate stand, and upgraded the original Terminator LT air arm to New Terminator version, w Zavfino Litz wire/silver Bocchino RCAs.
This Permali/aluminium plinth plus arm mount is a kind of final destination move for my involvement w Vic's original tt/arm design.
Anything beyond this would likely be a more massive expenditure on eg SP10R in Panzerholz plinth, Brinkmann Taurus, GP Parabolica, Kuzma Stabi M or Brinkmann Balance.

I gather some are interested and have been asked to post photos as it progresses. As usual things happen quite slowly. The Permali has been cut, awaiting the aluminium to be cnc’d.

Attachments

• 060E0206-10F2-442B-8C2E-21F7F828048D.jpeg
    060E0206-10F2-442B-8C2E-21F7F828048D.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 14
Aha, Jonathan! Good to see progress on this. Tbh, the new Straingauge boron stylus is such a dramatic uptick, that I'm happy to be patient on the plinth change. But I'm sure it'll be worth it. Certainly my Salvation TT has majorly benefitted from Stacore isolation and the SOTA motor/Farad LPS, and the updated New Terminator LT arm replacing the original has also been dramatic, to add to the bespoke LPS on my Straingauge, and now this "uber" stylus.
Suggesting that a fundamental improvement in plinth and arm mount should also be reflected in beneficial SQ changes. And based on your wholly positive experience installing the very same.

Well, Jonathan brought up the competed Permali plinth Salvation. And very smart it looks indeed, will get photos posted soon.
Due to my injured back (care of a long week gardening) and injured thumb (care of my car door), it took all day to reinstall things. Complexity added to by me putting in my new tonearm cable as well. I have to say, I ****never**** want to do this again!
I had some genuine fears ahead of this change...changing a whole plinth seems like major surgery...would I like some of the change, but not the rest...would it give a whole new character unfamiliar from 9 years of ownership and listening. I mean I like my Salvation, I don't want a Clearaudio lol (no disrespect to Clearaudio owners).
So, a bit of a punt, to say the least.
However, I visited Jonathan last week to drop the TT off and got to hear his Permali'd example, and was mighty impressed (as I was w his whole system, incl a vintage Denon 103, Decca London Ref, Panzerholz'd Lenco idler, Mischo Wooden amps, and nifty Altec/TAD combo horns.
Anyhow a whole day of me screaming at my back, the TT, and this custom tonearm wire (Zavfino Litz/Bocchino RCAs) kindly fabricated for me by Audiophile Bill, and an hour ago, it all came together, just a little fine tuning left to do.
Initial impressions are that this is not a slam dunk change (no Clearaudio!). The family sound of Salvation direct rim drive TT and Terminator air LT arm is maintained.
What is perceivable is a substantial reduction in cloudiness and smear, a certain grey coloration absent.
This is evident as more neutrality, less coloration and greater transparency.
But not at the expense of density, no the sound is at once more see thru, but maintains the heft of the stock slate plinth.
This is allowing classical music to express more color, nuance and subtle cues, aiding a more immersive experience. Askenazy/Solti, Bartok Piano Concertos is very expressive, a far cry from my crushed and grey playback of classical music back in London.
So, my big thanks to Jonathan for facilitating this project, despite my substantial doubts, the move is immediately apparent as positive, aiding further opening up of my appreciation of classical and jazz. And a pat on the back to Bill for his help on the wire.

Reactions: Lagonda
Tom, it's doing something very interesting, introducing more smoothness to my sound. Normally I don't like that term, but I mean it in the way of dynamic swings that glide, on top of way less grunge and cloudiness.
So not the smoothness of cloying dynamics or overly sweet tone. I mean varied colour of tone, and a less jarring ride. Fewer artifacts for a more natural experience.

This describes pretty well what I heard when I went to the Permali-cored plinth on the TD124. A quieter background out of which sound can emerge, the smoothness is as you say from less ‘grunge’ rather than any homogenising ‘sweetness’.

Good morning to you Marc and what a delightful outcome of your latest upgrade. However I wonder if the steel isolation feet (Stillpoint?) below the TT may be adding some character to the overall sound. Are they removable?

Please don’t take offence at my suggestion if (as I now know, are) they are part of the design.

regards
Blue58

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75
They're the feet that come with the plinth design. Barry, I'm not the purveyor of this thing, I have no idea why these were chosen. They are a spin on Rollerball design w ability to adjust for height. I can't install something and before I've played it a second time be thinking of changing it.
These have to be a specific minimal height for rim drive pod clearance.

Lose the stillpoints.
They are not still points. They are similar I’m sure. I’m definitely not wedded to the idea of them at all. Marc contacted me and very much persuaded me to make this thing for him, I would not do it again; too much time, hassle and not enough money in it. Obviously it had to be made the same as my one otherwise I couldn’t guarantee what it would sound like. I’m sure there are better feet out there but at the time of making, middle of lockdown, things were not so easy to get. I may well change the feet at some point in the future.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing