Transrotor ZET-1 and Moerch DP-8 tonearm

Basile: Locrian Audio

Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com

Impressions from the Moerch DP-8 Tonearm​

Following my earlier post on this forum regarding the Transrotor ZET-1 and Glanz 10B tonearm (https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/transrotor-zet-1-and-glanz-10b-tonearm.39270/), and my quest to put together a $10K turntable that competes graciously with today’s high end TTs, I tested the Moerch DP-8 tonearm. As you may recall, one of my key requirements was the ability to have a removable head shell. The DP-8 is a little different by providing a removable arm tube instead. Moerch manufactures arm tubes of different mass for better matching with the used cartridge and comes in 9 and 12 inch lengths.

1725556302720.png

I received the DP-8 arm well packed and was surprised to see how well organized all its parts were in their box. The instructions were excellent, apart from some language idioms that required deciphering with the aid of the visuals within the accompanying manual. There are a couple of YouTube videos that helped as well. When I took out the tonearm, I was stunned by how beautiful it was. Definitely jewel level!!

IMG_1298.jpeg

1725556422895.png

On the set up, it is very similar to all well designed arms with the addition of the side weights, for which there are clear instructions on how to set up properly. Otherwise, all adjustments were straightforward. The arm base was a special order from Transrotor and it added about $1,000 to the overall cost of the solution.

IMG_1304.jpeg

The sound​

The DP-8 is a very relaxed sounding tonearm. The soundstage was formed well behind the speakers and it was wide and deep. The timbres were outstanding and the DP-8 appears to allow the qualities of each cartridge to come out unobstructed. It certainly has dynamic and deep bass and very palpable highs. The midrange was excellent and mostly influenced by the cartridge’s sonic signature. Compared to the Glanz 10B, the 10B formed the soundstage just behind the speakers and had similar soundstage dimensions as the DP-8. Listening to Lauryn Hill’s Unplugged 2.0 and Patricia Barber’s Cafe Blue, the DP-8 rendered the music as if the musicians were part of a gathering, playing for a group of friends after dinner in your living room. The 10B made you feel as if you were in a small club sitting close to the stage. I enjoyed both performances!

IMG_1317.jpeg

Associated equipment​

Turntable: ZET-1 base deck with M-1 Reference power supply; Simon Yorke S9
Tonearm: Glanz 10B with ZET-1 armboard; Tri-Planar U2 Mk VII Classic with carbon arm tube
Cartridges: Shelter Harmony; Accuphase AC-6; Ikeda 9xx and SAI; Lyra Skala; VDH Frog, Transfiguration Orpheus
Head-shells: MSL, Ikeda, Ortofon and AS Arche
Phono Amplifier: Accuphase C-47
Preamplifier: Ypsilon PST 100 Mk 2
Amplifier: Accuphase A-80
Speakers: German Physiks HRS-130 and PQS-302

Attachments

• IMG_1311.jpeg
    IMG_1311.jpeg
    555.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu