Tron Atlantic Power Amplifier.

simplicity

Jun 2, 2012
SW London, UK.
Well after borrowing a Tron Atlantic for a week, months ago – I then placed my order – and I have now had the pleasure of living with my completed amplifier for a few weeks. To recap, I went for the Atlantic as I already have separate Tron Seven Pre and Phono amps (both in TOTL “GT” spec.). I have known Graham a long time and have huge respect for what he does – yes he is a friend, but money is money, so to speak.

In the short time I had the demo Atlantic it was clear from the start it was a very special amp. Despite having conventional speakers, the Atlantic’s mere 8 or 9 watts drove my Peak Consult Princess with a solidity the 250w Gryphon Diablo never did. I guess the first watt or 2 is where the magic happens….

My low efficiency speakers have been mentioned / discussed, and I know my upgrade route has some different transducers on the horizon, but here and now I have the Peak’s, so this had to work – and work better than my existing amp, and any other amp’s previously owned. This includes some massive Audio Research things, Naim NAP 500, Nagra VPA’s – and many, many more. All expensive, all disappointing.

The Atlantic was specced in black and silver. You have gold, if you are Chinese or Arab, but I prefer a more discreet and tasteful hue. I also ticked the options for a flight case (it is a heavy bastard – the amp, not Graham) and WBT terminals, special OFC wiring and some lovely EML 300b tubes. Graham also match the voltage to that in my flat. I should point out he also set the tubes up for the amp (assuming some technical thing going on here above biasing) and even helped carry it up 3 flight of stairs and connect it all up.

This is the only product I have ever bought (of this quality) where one man designed, built, assembled, tested, boxed, delivered and installed something he made. Proper service. Speaking of the design and build – it is a very appealing bit of kit – the focal point of my system and it looks beautiful. Partly industrial chic, partly faberge egg – it oozes class and has impeccable build quality. You think it looks good on the outside, the sheer OCD detailing inside is ridiculous. This is a quality bit of kit.

So once set up and switched on, then what? First, the silence. Stony silent – turn the volume up and up more … still silent. Hang on, aren’t tube amps supposed to be noisy. Clearly GT didn’t get that memo as it’s quieter than a mouse pissing on cotton. So a record was put on (Sarah Jarosz – Build Me Up From Bones) and even before I got to the listening position – wow, bloody hell….. the soundstage was massive. Many, many albums later, late nights, bottles of red wine, etc I can hand on heart say this amplifier just does less of the things that have annoyed me with previous amps before and more of the stuff that you actually want.

It makes music – provides an emotional connection or journey. Music sounds natural, real, unforced. The highs are not shrill, the lows, taut, the music just flows out into the room and is just so damned enjoyable – for very long periods of time, whatever the source or type.

This amplifier appeals for so many reasons and will hopefully be a constant in my system for many years. I’m not prone to chopping and changing key components. I’ve had my other Tron gear for years, my turntable and speakers for 10, I can see the Atlantic staying put until I decide to either go and travel the world or marry the barmaid from the Horse and Hounds.

Graham makes a very high quality product and the service is, well, how service used to be. The ease of purchase also helps and the fact you have 365 days support from GT if there was ever an issue to arise – though I’ve never had an issue with anything he has ever made or sold, but it’s nice to have the support just In case. It is a future proof amplifier for me, that here and now is aspirational AND affordable.

Ironically, it is the cheapest power amp I’ve had in nearly 20 years, but critically also the best. If you value music above all else, you need to listen to the Atlantic ?

Benanton

May 1, 2015
The Atlantic is a special and beautiful amp. I just received the integrated version a few weeks ago.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
I heard the Tron amps this year at the Windsor hifi show and was mightily impressed, if I weren't so happy with my Audionote amps I'd probably buy some of their stuff

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sorry to spoil the consensus gentleman, but I heard Graeme's Tron 211s powering Cessaro Liszts, and I was a little underwhelmed. Good scale and heft, just too slow and opaque for my liking.
YMMV as ever in audio.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing