Tube rolling in Incito S?

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Hello,

I am familiar with this post from the Kassandra thread:

(Begin quote)

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/kassandra-ii-ref-e280f-options.36740/post-873427

List below is type, brand(usual ones but not all of them), recommended bias range(not necessarily hard limits ) and subjective range(depending on brand/batch)

E280F, Siemens, Mullard,Phillips, Tele -200/-280 1~10
E180F Mullard Phillips, -170/250 1~5
E810F Siemens, Phillips, Mullard -220/-330 1-8
6j11p Russian various -190/-300 1-8 !
D3A Siemens -180/-270 1-4

There are some more types, but these can keep you occupied for a lifetime:)

The E810F is now standard in the recent units going to US/Canada side. The E810F goes quite well with the Kass and the Ianus range.
The 6j11p you can get them in the dozens easily and easily last quite some years.
Do not underestimate the E280F's life time, i tell our users to not change it until it dies. This tube gets better as it ages.Do not change if it is working on. We had an amp playing 7.5 years (daily use) with the original tubes installed.Some dies earlier but we have a lot of units playing for many years with their original tubes.

(End quote)

Same advice for Incito S?

I have done a brief experiment with a pair of inexpensive GE JAN 6688 (same as E180F) and like the result better than with the stock E280F tubes. I found the stock E280F to be a touch edgy and forward, and ultimately a bit fatiguing though with superb recordings the results could be thrilling. However, not all the music I listen to ranks in the "superb" category when it comes to production values.

The 6688/E180F offers a touch more forgiveness for less than perfect digital recordings and an even more expansive and 3D portrayal, while retaining the AC awesome dynamics and clarity.

Any further advice? Anyone want to disclose their favorite tube combos? It strikes me that while the JJ 5AR4 is good, there are others out there that might bring a little more to the party.

Thanks in advance!

Steve Z

Well, you already stimulated my curiosity, so I just bought two Mullard E180Fs. We'll see what they are like.

Yes that is

Reactions: Argonaut
Yes that is
I hope I didn't raise your expectations too much, Francisco. The E280Fs that I'm comparing to aren't Siemens, they are "Mullards" labeled "Foreign made". Maybe Chinese?

Still, I'm interested in what you hear.

Thanks,

Steve Z

Well, fortunately the price is not excessive for the fun of trying them.

Reactions: oldmustang
IMG_2370 copy.jpeg

IMG_2369 copy.jpeg

From left to right, GE JAN 6688 (E180F), Siemens E280F, Amperex 7788 (E810F) PQ.

Still evaluating but it's nice to have choices.

Steve Z

Reactions: nonesup and nenon

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing