Tubes for Airtight ATM3

MMMMMM

Dec 4, 2021
Hi there,

It's time for me to start replacing the tubes on my Airtight ATM3's. They come with 6 x 6CA7 which I could of course just renew. Anyone with experience on different ones or perhaps recommend which 6CA7's to get?

cheers,
M

Here is the list for EL34;
- Philips Holland metal base (1955-1957)
- Mullard Gt. Britain XF1
- Mullard Gt. Britain XF2 dual getter
- Mullard Gt. Britain XF2 single getter.
I would look for XF2 single getter. Easier to source.

Last edited:
Hi,

When I bought my ATM3 (1996 and still working) they were delivered with AEG EL34 and Siemens 12AU /AX7 (rebadged Mullards in fact).
I replaced them after about 3000 hours by C SED, that were also very good. After that I found some Mullards XF 2 double O rings and mono ring getter. They did their job perfectly for many years.
I am back with AEG and very happy.
The OO ring getter xf2 were the best sounding ones without question.
The Mullards simple ring getter xf2 were second ones a bit before the AEG that are very good sounding and robust.
Many years ago the C SED were the best new production tubes and the price was fair.
Unfortunately they are not in production anymore and the AEG have become out of reach (12 tubes).
It seems the new production Russian Mullards are amongst the best for sweet sounding. It would be my choice if I had to choose new EL34 tubes for my Air Tight. Look also at the preamp tubes because they make a lot of difference also and they last longer.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing