Tuning Fuses?!

I use Hifi Tuning Supreme fuse for both my DMC-30SS-2 and DMA-260 and yield noticeable improvement, especially for the Pre. The mid range is richer and sound is livelier. I am a technical guy myself and I don't understand why a fuse can improve the sound, but the fact is that I can hear it. In fact I can even differentiate the sound caused by the direction of the fuse (Yes! This sounded crazy). I found this when I was using the Hifi Tuning SilverStar fuse on my YBA CDP/Pre/Power. I checked the hot end of the IEC socket and installed all the fuse with the same orientation, based on the logo on the fuse, but it yielded different results. Eventually I just installed them based on what I heard (one orientation give a more lively and more forward sound which I preferred). Besides me, my friend could also differentiate the sound of different fuse direction. I found this really strange and I tried double blind test and I am still able to differentiate without fail. I guess that are somethings still cannot be explained with today science.

Well smack me in the face and call me Shirley. My fuses arrived, I popped them in my 360S2's and I can tell you they do sound better. This is not a profound experience, rather a subtle polish that increases clarity, further defines edges, offers a greater sense of depth/spatial presentation and just an overall tidiness. Again, it is not going to make a good system great or levitate your listening chair however I do very much think it is worth the investment, especially at the level typically discussed in this forum. So far I am please with my fuses.

I did not play with direction at all. I just installed them with the arrows pointing into the amps.

Once my system is up and running I must admit that my interest is piqued re fuses and I am going to try some. Like you I see no reason why direction of the fuse can change the sound and that you can detect it 100% of the time

I did discuss these fuses with Vladimir and his exact words were "forget it", "not necessary"

I would say I agree, not necessary but they do make my system sound better. It may not be the case for all gear, I have no idea. I just had seen enough accounts of this sort of outcome that I felt it would be a worthwhile exercise and so far, I'm pretty happy I did it. If they are like 99% of electronics/cables I have had then they will sound better in a week or so. Give it a go and let us know what you hear. I know Ack is waiting on some to arrive, he has the same amps that I do.

Once my system is up and running I must admit that my interest is piqued re fuses and I am going to try some. Like you I see no reason why direction of the fuse can change the sound and that you can detect it 100% of the time

I did discuss these fuses with Vladimir and his exact words were "forget it", "not necessary"

The dealer that sold me my Lamm pre swore by fuse upgrades.

What are you doing in the Spectral forum!? OMG!

Yikes!!!! I didn't realize. I saw a thread about fuses and didn't realize. I'm quite embarrassed.

Steve, feel free to delete these posts! :)

Madfloyd...I'll get you to a good Doc who will help with any ear pain you may experience from this exposure:) hehe I could not resist, sorry. You know I'm happy to see you.

Steve yes, they can be used with any gear and come in all sizes. I went with HiFi Tuning as it seemed to be the most recommended but there are offerings from Furutech, Synergistic Research, Isoclean and a few others out there.

Like I said initially, I don't think it's an essential thing that will wow you but it is noticeable for sure. For a frame of reference, I think AC outlets are much more noticeable that the fuses so if you've done that exercise you have an idea.

Well, those of you bound to try new fuses; do keep in mind to put the fuses in the correct direction. Don't want you wastning your money by putting them in the wrong way around.

Steve,

I've noticed that manufacturers/designers tend to have the same opinion, that fuses don't matter. I got the same answer from Hervé about changing the fuse on my darTZeel. "Not necessary", "it doesn't matter".
Dealers, on the other hand, swear by them :) So, as usual, I guess the truth lies in the middle...

alexandre

Well, those of you bound to try new fuses; do keep in mind to put the fuses in the correct direction. Don't want you wastning your money by putting them in the wrong way around.

well what I find interesting is that a fuse is non directional but yet the sound changes when the direction of the fuse changes

Steve,

I've noticed that manufacturers/designers tend to have the same opinion, that fuses don't matter. I got the same answer from Hervé about changing the fuse on my darTZeel. "Not necessary", "it doesn't matter".
Dealers, on the other hand, swear by them :) So, as usual, I guess the truth lies in the middle...

alexandre

Have you used any in your system Alexandre

well what I find interesting is that a fuse is non directional but yet the sound changes when the direction of the fuse changes

That would mean there is more in there than just a fuse link.

No idea. Could be a capacitor or inductor (bead) on one end to reduce noise and power transients, some sort of other circuit like a diode network, even tapering the fuse link somehow, but I really do not know. There's not room for much inside a fuse.

I am a skeptic on the whole AC outlet and fuse issue; I can understand why there might be benefits due to wiping action in replacing fuses and outlets, and in providing stronger clamping force in AC outlets to better pass high currents, but retain my Missouri-given right to say "show me". Maybe someday someone will give me a fuse to try or I'll win the lottery. But, experience says if I hear no difference it will be because my system and/or ears aren't good enough. I like to follow these things because it is interesting to see the effects reported and cogitate on what might be going on. Anytime a lot of people hear a difference I hesitate to dismiss it out of hand, but if it was just a regular fuse link it would be non-directional.

Anyone want to send me one to analyze and take apart? For that matter, I could put it on a network analyzer and see if it looks any different from each end, non-destructively.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing