Turntable platters, mats, stabilisers comparison plus Headquarters Audio QVMatPro review

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Yes, I agree..... I like the smoothness, and tonal density it brings to the playback.... Some might find it a little rolled off in the top octaves....I don't..... Sounds very "NATURAL"....
CHEERS....
The Yamamoto head shells are also a fantastic value.

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
I should have mentioned I tried the SPEC mat and found it sounded pretty good, but I felt it ergonomically lacking - no label recess, but more annoyingly it's a full 300mm wide (exactly the same as an LP), and about as thin as a record too, making it tricky to lift the record off without taking the mat off with it. Overall I didn't like it, mainly for those ergonomic reasons.

Interesting comments on leather mat ... this was where I found 'system' benefits in careful matching with the stabliliser. Too heavy a weight I found killed the musicality, but I guess this would be influenced by how thick the leather is. I was impressed with the Zavfino both on its own and with a not-too-heavy weight.

Reactions: jeff1225

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I should have mentioned I tried the SPEC mat and found it sounded pretty good, but I felt it ergonomically lacking - no label recess, but more annoyingly it's a full 300mm wide (exactly the same as an LP), and about as thin as a record too, making it tricky to lift the record off without taking the mat off with it. Overall I didn't like it, mainly for those ergonomic reasons.

Interesting comments on leather mat ... this was where I found 'system' benefits in careful matching with the stabliliser. Too heavy a weight I found killed the musicality, but I guess this would be influenced by how thick the leather is. I was impressed with the Zavfino both on its own and with a not-too-heavy weight.

The new SPEC is a smaller diameter and has a recessed label area.

Last edited:
Reactions: montesquieu

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Montesquieu/Tom was kind enough to lend me his HQ Mat/Stabilizer, I thought I'd leave some impressions. I'm not using it absolutely correctly, but the positives are undeniable and different to any outcomes with my current platter-LP interface, so it's almost certain when I do fully optimise setup, the results will be even more favourable.

I'm using the ResoMat that Tom also tested as standard on my rim drive Salvation TT. I was a bit unsure about his criticism of the ResoMat being too "exciteable" but when I refer back to my slight negatives of hardness or glassiness on piano crescendos and massed strings, "exciteable" is a correct analysis.

As with all good upgrades, what's ideal is if the effect is self-effacing, ie doesn't shout attention, but the effect becomes apparent as music washes over you.

Putting on some Brahms solo piano with Julius Katchen/Josef Suk, indeed a good proportion of slight shrillness I've had before on loud fast runs on the keyboard were ameliorated, but not at the expense of verve and dynamics.
I've tried any number of mats where calm is mixed with softness and mutedness, this not the case with the HQ system.

Playing the Tone Poets reissue of Ornette Coleman/NY Is Now and Love Call, this is pretty furious polyrhythmic stuff, easy for the twin horns to sound clashy and strident. Again, the HQ system did what I call decluttering and organising of the music, but not at expense of forward drive. Chaos in music is always nice if it feels deliberate, not fully out of control.

Playing Dixie Dregs first album, I was struck how pertinent bass was, not a false highlighting, more again resonance control allowing more delineation of lower frequencies.

In all the music I listened to, but most of all the Brahms, the biggest compliment I can pay the HQ system is how it really allowed notes to play out, ridding harshness on piano strikes, and reducing glare and graininess so that the full reverb and harmonic texture of notes was fully rendered, and as a piece of music played out, whole veils removed bringing playing of music at home closer to what I hear live.

Once this product is finally released, I'll be buying mine.

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
Marc, I think you nailed really well in your post what I also heard, a sense of naturalness and musical freedom. Pianos as you say are one of the big tests. The improvement over the previous top dog in my system, the graphite mat and stabiliser, was both subtle and not-subtle, pretty much as you describe.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tom, at the level I've now got my system working at, it's critical any change if I'm going to adopt it has the absolutely not "add" stuff, only "subtract" what's negative.
A good example is IsoAcoustic Gaias footers under my Zus spkrs v Revopods. The Gaias were great in many ways, but they presented music with a totally different bass presentation that felt like an "additive", certainly a coloration. Easy to hear in direct comparison with the Revopods.
The HQ mat/stabiliser absolutely leaves the tonal balance and dynamics/speed of my LP playback unaffected, but strips out a good deal of noise and hash, thus the resultant greater feeling of transparency thru notes (less shrill attack, more unimped reverb), and clearer bass definition.
If there *is* a specific change to presentation, it's in a slightly wider stereo image, but this is quite subtle, and I believe a function of less hash. Welcome all the same.

Reactions: montesquieu

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing