UltraAnalogue Recordings releases 2 more tapes by star cellist Narek Hakhnazaryan

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
I'm very excited to release 2 new tapes by Narek Hakhnazaryan & Noreen Polera

1) Beethoven Cello Sonata No.4 & Tsintsadze 5 Pieces in Folk Style
2) Beethoven Cello Sonata No.5 & Popper Hungarian Rhapsody

https://ultraanaloguerecordings.com/new/2-new-tapes-by-star-cellist-narek-hakhnazaryan/

The performances & musicality are beyond words.... with a sound to match... the slow movement of the 5th Sonata is "to die for..."

Enjoy
Ed

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Williams

Deepender

Feb 2, 2017
I'm very excited to release 2 new tapes by Narek Hakhnazaryan & Noreen Polera

1) Beethoven Cello Sonata No.4 & Tsintsadze 5 Pieces in Folk Style
2) Beethoven Cello Sonata No.5 & Popper Hungarian Rhapsody

https://ultraanaloguerecordings.com/new/2-new-tapes-by-star-cellist-narek-hakhnazaryan/

The performances & musicality are beyond words.... with a sound to match... the slow movement of the 5th Sonata is "to die for..."

Enjoy
Ed

Congratulations are once again in order for reprising on your Ultra Analogue label one of the rising luminaries of the classical music world, cellist Narek Hakhnazaryan, in sonics that have moved one incremental yet clearly perceptible step closer to that elusive truth we audiophiles seek: the absolute sound.

I quite agree, Ed, you’ve wrought two more recorded masterpieces.

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I received the two tapes and just have listened to them. First, we heard Narek last fall when he played (with his Z.E.N. Trio) in San Francisco. He is one of the great young cellists in the world, having won the Tchaikovsky Competition in 2013 (the same one Van Cliburn won in Moscow in 1958 but now it has expanded to include cello). I don't know how Ed is able to get some of the very best young classical musicians to play for him in his home studio near Toronto. Ed (along with his brilliant engineer Tony Ma) have been able to capture the sounds of the instruments so well, as well as capturing the ambience of his home concert hall. The two major works, the last two Beethoven Cello Sonatas, are the main works on the tapes. They are joined by shorter pieces to complete each reel, the Tsintsadze Five Pieces in Folk Style, and Popper Hungarian Rhapsody. Narek continues his traversal of the five Beethoven Cello Sonatas with Ed, having recorded the great third sonata in A (Op69) in an earlier release last year.

Narek shows both his playing chops and his ability to express Beethoven's late period cello sonatas. The Tsintsadze and Popper pieces give him a chance to show off. As with most of Ed's recordings, he has captured them at a live concert in his home. The sense of space is palpable, even with the very quiet audience. You feel you are there, with the musicians and the audience.

Another two great recordings. Ed and Tony really understand the space and they have the recording technique just about perfect. Doesn't hurt to have world class musicians playing flawlessly. Easy recommendation to join his earlier Beethoven cello sonata.

Larry

tapepath

Feb 19, 2014
I've always described my audio interest to other people by explaining that it is an example of technology serving the cause of music appreciation and understanding. As I became interested in audio equipment, many years ago, I started reading the liner notes of classical and jazz records and from this developed an appreciation for the music and the people who produce it. Once again this has happened as a result of listening to these two wonderful new tape recordings from UltraAnalogue's Ed Pong. These Beethoven sonatas were composed in the early part of the 19th century and were deemed "unusual and peculiar" by music critics of the day who were used to a more easy accessibility from the master. This abstract contrapuntal style music is pointing the way toward Beethoven's late string quartets and the 9th symphony which followed. After about 30 or so years listeners and critics began reevaluating what their opinions had been and felt that the music was "addressing us from outside and filling the soul within". This "filling the listener's soul" is most true in the adagio con molto second movement of the 5th sonata. The melody is frequently coarse and the harmony is sometimes harsh, but it's tremendously beautiful and poignant at the same time. Just like his life was.
It is the technical skill and musical artistry of these two musicians and the amazing job Ed does with capturing all of this in front of a live (and quiet) audience that gives us listeners the opportunity to marvel at what Beethoven has given. Highly recommended!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing