UltraAnalogue's Superlative Tatsuki Narita tape

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Are you using the normal basic (non horn) subs? What crossover frequency are you using?

Best.
Yes, the box ones that came with the system, it's been a while, but I believe they kick in below 120Hz. I always prefer my system to be bass shy rather than have the booming sub effect.

Great tape from Ed as expected! I am also hearing the avant garde speakers seeming to play really good for the first time over this youtube video (for what its worth), congratulations to you. I had a few chances to hear different iterations of trios (latest versions at Munich) and all of them have let me down. Enjoy your finely tuned version, it may be the best one :) Also your tip top condition Ampex 800 is a thing of beauty. I had an ampex atr102 but I kept my studer a807 for practical reasons :)

More important thing for me is that, it looks, you have a very good music collection. Any recommendations from your "go to" tapes.

ps. enjoy your great system

Perhaps the electronics is also importnant. :) I think they work well together. That ATR-800 was a nice find, it was actually built by Teac, and they did very good job. I love Ampexes, I also have two ATR-102's and several older ones, the 350's and the 440. They have that special feel to them.

As far as the recommendation, just off the top of my head, besides the usual suspects, I would mention any of Joe Policastro recordings by IPI (especially his vibes), the wonderful Antonio Lysy Argentinian music tape by Yarlung, and the Rembrandt 2 by STS, that wonderfully captures the venue acoustics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
Thanks Victor for the recommendation. I have meant to try Ed's tapes for a while, but not yet got around to it.
I have made quite a few recordings over the past 20 years on my Nagra IV-S, mostly orchestral but some chamber music also. I have recently started to make backup copies using 468, since the original session tapes are on 456 (I bought a large stock when Quantergy closed shop), whose longevity is questionable. I transferred them with my Nagra T Audio with the repro head directly out to my differential tube preamp, and then to the IV-S. Even the 1st generation copies sound great with barely noticeable difference. Does Ed make all his commercial copies from the original work parts ? How many copies can you make from the tapes before noticeable deterioration ? I always have concern about playing the session tapes too often.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Thanks for sharing the video :)

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Thanks Victor for the recommendation. I have meant to try Ed's tapes for a while, but not yet got around to it.
I have made quite a few recordings over the past 20 years on my Nagra IV-S, mostly orchestral but some chamber music also. I have recently started to make backup copies using 468, since the original session tapes are on 456 (I bought a large stock when Quantergy closed shop), whose longevity is questionable. I transferred them with my Nagra T Audio with the repro head directly out to my differential tube preamp, and then to the IV-S. Even the 1st generation copies sound great with barely noticeable difference. Does Ed make all his commercial copies from the original work parts ? How many copies can you make from the tapes before noticeable deterioration ? I always have concern about playing the session tapes too often.
I always make a running copy from the master recording & copies are usually made from this 1st copy. We've found, "making a very good copy" is not as simple as connecting 2 stock decks & pushing record. The playback & record electronics have to be extremely sensitive if one wants to have a copy with as little degradation as possible. So the quality of any of these copies, totally depends on the signal path of the whole recording/playback chain.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Edward, have you ever thought about doing vinyl releases of your beautiful tapes? Like, let’s say modest 1.000 one-step pieces for instance?

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Edward, have you ever thought about doing vinyl releases of your beautiful tapes? Like, let’s say modest 1.000 one-step pieces for instance?
Marcus, thanks for your interest! I have thought about it & actually took this Tatsuki Narita tape to a local studio to have a lacquer made to hear it's sound.... unfortunately it didn't go well... will look for other engineers to try this.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing