Usable watts

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Ralph then Marc got me thinking about usable watts. We all see amps with watt ratings. But how many usable watts do you get before the amp starts to soft clip, compress,distort.

I have a 50 watt KT88 PP amp and it appears to play much louder before clipping than a 27 watt SET amp I also have. I was surprised how quick the SET seemed to loose its dynamics.

How manufacture dependent is this. How topology dependent. As in tube, SS, Digital

To make the question more complex, shall we also consider how hard one may need to drive an amp to get to its sweet spot. I believe I have heard certain SS amps have more noise when running under power. That they need a load to reach optimum low distortion levels.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Rex, I wont ever consider a spkr that needs a big jolt to wake it up. Got to get into cruise mode in few Watts and maybe only 50W to really push things.

For me that means horns or high efficiency like Zu.

Critically in my opinion the sound needs to be tonally saturated at low to medium levels, and then have sufficient reserves for jump factor dynamics.

It's a reason I moved from Audion Black Shadows to Nat SE2SEs. I did dally with the idea of owning Apogee Duettas, but in my room 4x size of a more typical space, I had zero confidence I could rely on medium power triodes to saturate the room. And so that ship sailed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing