Vibro meter

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
hello
most people in here refers to subjective listening impressions when experimenting with vibration control devices, whether active or passive
since everybody(at least close to) have a cell phone, I would recommend people to download a vibration measuring app on their cell phone
theese utilizes the onboard accelerometer in the phone and give very accurate feedback to the effects of different vcd
I use "vibrometer" or "vibration alarm" on my Samsung edge 7
good luck
best
Leif

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
hello
most people in here refers to subjective listening impressions when experimenting with vibration control devices, whether active or passive
since everybody(at least close to) have a cell phone, I would recommend people to download a vibration measuring app on their cell phone
theese utilizes the onboard accelerometer in the phone and give very accurate feedback to the effects of different vcd
I use "vibrometer" or "vibration alarm" on my Samsung edge 7
good luck
best
Leif

I concur Leif. My friend, Mik, recommended me these earlier this year.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
looks like a good idea.

one of the times when Ed Hsu of Taiko Audio and SGM visited my room he brought with him a 'big boy' resonance measuring device he and Emile had been using to develop both the Tana platform and the Dazia. he measured all my racks and gear.......and floor.

it was this one........the Table Stable VA-2 Triaxial Vibration analyzer.

https://www.herzan.com/products/site-survey-tools/va-2-triaxial-vibration-sensor.html

i only bring it up since it would be great if someone could calibrate and verify how useful these phone 'apps' might be. how close to a purpose built tool it might come. since you are trying to understand what is happening, and not happening. and to make progress......it's helpful to understand the difference between horizontal resonance and improvement, and vertical resonance and improvement. and how the music relates to the numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: gestalt and tima
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
In my setup the horn subs which are capable of in excess of 130db below 30, made the 1 inch floating pine floor boards "roll" towards the listening position like a wave in water
when I placed the subs on rubloc trisolators the vibrometer could not detect anything and I couldn´t feel it any longer either
(the accelerometers are in the phones to register shocks, which Apple were fast enough to blame on when my old Iphone freaked out, despite I´d never lost it...same with humidity sensors)
the phone is very sensitive and it´s not possible to hold the phone without it registering motion
my need is sort of on or off related...either the things vibrate or they don´t
best
Leif

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
In my setup the horn subs which are capable of in excess of 130db below 30, made the 1 inch floating pine floor boards "roll" towards the listening position like a wave in water
when I placed the subs on rubloc trisolators the vibrometer could not detect anything and I couldn´t feel it any longer either
(the accelerometers are in the phones to register shocks, which Apple were fast enough to blame on when my old Iphone freaked out, despite I´d never lost it...same with humidity sensors)
the phone is very sensitive and it´s not possible to hold the phone without it registering motion
my need is sort of on or off related...either the things vibrate or they don´t
best
Leif

Are these like the industrial style floor joist isolators, Leif? Sounds an amazingly effective solution.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway

Attachments

• Rubloc trisolator nearfield view.png
    Rubloc trisolator nearfield view.png
    50.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
i only bring it up since it would be great if someone could calibrate and verify how useful these phone 'apps' might be. how close to a purpose built tool it might come. since you are trying to understand what is happening, and not happening. and to make progress......it's helpful to understand the difference between horizontal resonance and improvement, and vertical resonance and improvement. and how the music relates to the numbers.

I agree about testing phone apps versus a purpose built tool along with testing the same app on multiple instances of the same phone and testing the app on different phones. I'd like to see various phone apps for platter speed simiarly tested.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I agree about testing phone apps versus a purpose built tool along with testing the same app on multiple instances of the same phone and testing the app on different phones. I'd like to see various phone apps for platter speed simiarly tested.

I do agree that it is nice to have an idea about the absolute data outputs of such devices also.

That said, in the situation of vibro apps, as an “amateur user” I believe it is the *delta* as measured by the app not the absolute values that are particularly useful. Put another way, when playing around with home measures to improve the isolation of our equipment, it is the change in measured effect from one solution to the next that I find most helpful. Anyway I do concur that absolute values are also helpful just that it doesn’t diminish the value for audiophiles.
Another analogy is body fat scales at home. As long as your body fat is going down (assuming you want to lose fat) it doesn’t really matter whether your scale was accurate to 2%, 1%, 0.1% unless you compete in bodybuilding or similar.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I do agree that it is nice to have an idea about the absolute data outputs of such devices also.

That said, in the situation of vibro apps, as an “amateur user” I believe it is the *delta* as measured by the app not the absolute values that are particularly useful. Put another way, when playing around with home measures to improve the isolation of our equipment, it is the change in measured effect from one solution to the next that I find most helpful. Anyway I do concur that absolute values are also helpful just that it doesn’t diminish the value for audiophiles.
Another analogy is body fat scales at home. As long as your body fat is going down (assuming you want to lose fat) it doesn’t really matter whether your scale was accurate to 2%, 1%, 0.1% unless you compete in bodybuilding or similar.

Sure - that makes sense - and the sonic correlation with solutions and changes, assuming they go in the right direction, can bring confidence in the app. I would like to use the more accurate app (that is, if I had a phone.) I'm starting to see pictures taken from phone apps show up in reviews, mostly in conjunction with turntable speed. Without some confirmation of accuracy, I'm still a bit sceptical.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Sure - that makes sense - and the sonic correlation with solutions and changes, assuming they go in the right direction, can bring confidence in the app. I would like to use the more accurate app (that is, if I had a phone.) I'm starting to see pictures taken from phone apps show up in reviews, mostly in conjunction with turntable speed. Without some confirmation of accuracy, I'm still a bit sceptical.

Fremer has been using an app in his TT reviews for some time now. I think his application is similar to what I wrote above - that is a consistent comparison between TTs irrespective of whether the absolute numbers are bang on. It allows some understanding of deck to deck performance and stability. Unsurprisingly it doesn’t put forth spurious things so the new Technics sl1200g comes out extremely speed table etc. What we expect from the manufacturer’s data in that sense albeit not with same absolute values.

Anyway - just another tool.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/technics-direct-drive-sl-1200g-turntable

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing