Auralic Aries G2 Wireless Streaming Transporter

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
The latest firmware version for the Auralic Aries G2 adds a number of features. For one thing, the unit now has on-board DSP equalization capability in the form of up to 20 parametric, shelf, or bandpass filters. I haven't used that feature yet since I use a DSPeaker Anti-Mode X4 to do my system equalization for both the G2 programs and those sourced from discs or files via my Oppo UDP-205.

Another added feature is the ability to upsample/resample programs which are input to the G2 via Airplay. For those who prefer the sound of upsampling/resampling can no apply that everything processed through the G2.

As mentioned in posts above, I previously preferred the sound of upsampled/resampled programs through the G2,. However, perhaps because of system changes, in recent weeks I've come to prefer to let my Benchmark DAC3 HGC do the upsampling/resampling (it upsamples/resamples digital inputs to 110 kbps), leaving the G2 in native mode for all programming material. While the G2's upsampler makes the soundstage more spacious and larger (especially vertically), it reduces the specificity of imaging and staging. There is a better feel of instruments and voices performing in front of you and a better feel for the hall dimensions without the G2's upsampling/resampling kicked in. The G2's upsampling/resampling also sounds a bit brighter than life through my system. Long-term, I'm finding the more natural tonality of having the G2 use the native sampling rate of each program to be the overall best-sounding option, but I'm sure others may prefer the upsampling/resampling option.

For more information about the new 6.0 firmware for the Auralic Aries G2, see Xianqian's comments at the following Auralic Community page: https://community.auralic.com/t/6-0-firmware-eq-interface/2316

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing