Video Switching Device for an Audiophile

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
I’m looking for a video switching device for HDMI.

I know this is an audio forum, but I really like this site so I thought I’d try to solve my problem here. I’m primarily interested in good stereo audio, so I’ve resisted investing in a multi-channel Audio Video Receiver. But I finally did bite the bullet and invest in the Arcam SR-250, a stereo, not a multi-channel, AVR. IT was highly touted for its superior audio quality so I had hopes, but the audio was disappointing so I brought in my old Pioneer SX-1050 stereo receiver out of the closet, had it refurbished, and set it up so it handled all the audio from my AV sources via RCA cables from each source 1) satellite tv, 2) Oppo DVD, 3) Sony Laser Disc and 4) Roku. The Arcam handles the video switching between all those sources via HDMI cable. Now the Arcam has gone down and rather than repair it, I’m wondering if there is a high quality but inexpensive device that would just do simple video switching via HDMI cables between my sources. Then I wouldn’t need to replace the AVR. PS: My TV is not a good switching device.

Last edited:

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Check out B&H photo online.. A company called sescom makes hdmi type switchers and HDMI audio taps to stereo.. They have some pro type vid/audio equipment too that might help..

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i'd recommend replacing both your Pioneer and Aarcam with a 'single' used Home Theater receiver or processor. Home Theater receivers and processors get obsoleted very quickly as the movie tech advances at lightning speed, so mint examples of these units can be bought on the cheap. and with a little research (old reviews) you can quickly determine which ones have the best sound quality and video switching and then grab your great deal. the these are great video switchers and the right one's will switch with the latest spec video (not sure how important that might be).

go look at some listed on Audiogon or US Audio Mart and then google to find a review and you should easily find a good fit for pennies on the dollar of original retail.

finding a stand alone video switcher (since no one uses them so you are not going to be able to find much feedback or reviews) is not going to be easy and then dealing with the cables and remotes will be a pain. and it will be a 'dead' box for you later, there is no market for it. ought to be easy to match or improve the sound quality of your Pioneer with the newer used unit.

as a 'vididiot' (Home Theater enthusiast) myself i have one of these obsoleted boxes right now, another that will be set aside in another 6 months, and just gave another one away last year. and i know i'm not alone. i would not be surprised if you had a friend that will give you one (they are hard to sell).

there are stand alone video processors that are desired, and i have a very good one, but these are not cheap ($5k and above). they are a different beast than a video switcher.

Last edited:

Dezy

VIP/Donor
Apr 22, 2019
I’m looking for a video switching device for HDMI.

I know this is an audio forum, but I really like this site so I thought I’d try to solve my problem here. I’m primarily interested in good stereo audio, so I’ve resisted investing in a multi-channel Audio Video Receiver. But I finally did bite the bullet and invest in the Arcam SR-250, a stereo, not a multi-channel, AVR. IT was highly touted for its superior audio quality so I had hopes, but the audio was disappointing so I brought in my old Pioneer SX-1050 stereo receiver out of the closet, had it refurbished, and set it up so it handled all the audio from my AV sources via RCA cables from each source 1) satellite tv, 2) Oppo DVD, 3) Sony Laser Disc and 4) Roku. The Arcam handles the video switching between all those sources via HDMI cable. Now the Arcam has gone down and rather than repair it, I’m wondering if there is a high quality but inexpensive device that would just do simple video switching via HDMI cables between my sources. Then I wouldn’t need to replace the AVR. PS: My TV is not a good switching device.
Try this. I have an older but similar device that does a decent job. My issue was HDMI video switching with the need to strip the audio out to send optically to my DAC.

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
Check out B&H photo online.. A company called sescom makes hdmi type switchers and HDMI audio taps to stereo.. They have some pro type vid/audio equipment too that might help..
Good idea, I have found great products there. Prices jumped from a reasonable $295 to $62,000! The $295 unit is stated to be for cameras but I don’t see why it wouldn’t manage any HDMI source. I’ll followup. Thanks,

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
Try this. I have an older but similar device that does a decent job. My issue was HDMI video switching with the need to strip the audio out to send optically to my DAC.

Can you be more explicit, please? I have the same issue. I want to split off audio to my Pioneer.

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
i'd recommend replacing both your Pioneer and Aarcam with a 'single' used Home Theater receiver or processor. Home Theater receivers and processors get obsoleted very quickly as the movie tech advances at lightning speed, so mint examples of these units can be bought on the cheap. and with a little research (old reviews) you can quickly determine which ones have the best sound quality and video switching and then grab your great deal. the these are great video switchers and the right one's will switch with the latest spec video (not sure how important that might be).

go look at some listed on Audiogon or US Audio Mart and then google to find a review and you should easily find a good fit for pennies on the dollar of original retail.

finding a stand alone video switcher (since no one uses them so you are not going to be able to find much feedback or reviews) is not going to be easy and then dealing with the cables and remotes will be a pain. and it will be a 'dead' box for you later, there is no market for it. ought to be easy to match or improve the sound quality of your Pioneer with the newer used unit.

as a 'vididiot' (Home Theater enthusiast) myself i have one of these obsoleted boxes right now, another that will be set aside in another 6 months, and just gave another one away last year. and i know i'm not alone. i would not be surprised if you had a friend that will give you one (they are hard to sell).

there are stand alone video processors that are desired, and i have a very good one, but these are not cheap ($5k and above). they are a different beast than a video switcher.
Mike,

You describe yourself as a Vididiot (videophile?). I will describe myself as an audiophile, or as some might say, a two channel dinosaur. I will never go multichannel and I have long been annoyed at the idea of paying for all those extra amplifiers that AVRs sport. I finally decided to buy my Arcam because it is a two channel AVR and because it was advertised for its great audio. I had been reluctant to invest in a piece of gear with all those extra amplifiers that I’ll never use so I was happy to find it. It was way expensive though! Of course it was immediately better than my TV! However, I was just as immediately disappointed in its audio quality. what’s more I don’t need or use all its fancy features. In fact, I only use it as a switcher which means it doesn’t do anything for me that one of those $10-$50 switchers advertised on Amazon would do. Their problem is that they are junk quality. I think the B&H product might be a safer investment for me. OTOH, a used AVR that would have the latest HDMI inputs might also make a better quality switcher.so I’ll take your advice and look into the used market, but with the expectation to bypass its audio and continue to send audio to my Pioneer. There’s no way I’m going to find better audio in an AVR than my refurbished Pioneer offers.

Dezy

VIP/Donor
Apr 22, 2019
Can you be more explicit, please? I have the same issue. I want to split off audio to my Pioneer.
This is a simple device. Each HDMi source plugs into it. One HDMI out to TV and one optical out your DAC/stereo. The sound will go both to the tv and to the stereo so you will have the option to listen in either scenario (assuming your tv has speakers). Hope this helps.

Echolane

Apr 24, 2018
California
This is a simple device. Each HDMi source plugs into it. One HDMI out to TV and one optical out your DAC/stereo. The sound will go both to the tv and to the stereo so you will have the option to listen in either scenario (assuming your tv has speakers). Hope this helps.
Thanks. I just bought this one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MCS9PJD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
off Amazon. It’s quite simple, 5 ports on back for input, one port on side for output to TV and with remote control. It doesn’t have the optical out for audio that yours does, but I don’t need it. I’m sending audio via RCA composite interconnects from each source to my restored vintage Pioneer SX-950. I chose it because it has the fewest negative reviews. Hopefully it’ll work at least until my Arcam returns from a second trip to the warranty repair company. And if it works as advertised I’ll have no need for the Arcam.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing