Videos of Acoustically-Coupled Audio Recordings

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Here's my vote for best digital playback at the recent Florida show, Aurender AP20>VAC i170SE> Clarisys Minuet:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Here's my vote for best digital playback at the recent Florida show, Aurender AP20>VAC i170SE> Clarisys Minuet:

At least they were using a tube amp and not Soullution electronics. These are about the same size as my old Apogee Caliper Signatures, which sounded great with higher powered tube amps and top notch hybrids (I used a Sphinx Project 14 hybrid that worked awesomely with the Apogee).

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Piano lacks substance.

Yes, it sounds thin, and dare I say "digital"? Also, the bass level is way too high and lacks definition, but this could obviously be due to the room, seating position, phone, etc...

If someone wanted to purchase a system based on these show videos, then he/she may as well go for this:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
If someone wanted to purchase a system based on these show videos,

Why would someone be so asininely stupid to buy a system based on videos?

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Why would someone be so asininely stupid to buy a system based on videos?

I would not be surprised that some people do, especially if the reviewer's comments are positive. But the point was only to highlight how poorly the Martin Logan video sounded.

Reactions: Al M.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
this video does not change my opinion of Martin Logan Speakers.
you have to look at youtube channels that are known for making good realistic recordings. I think his recording is excellent when you listen with headphones.

If you want to judge whether you like the device or speaker, I would refer to his channel.

Last edited:

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
you have to look at youtube channels that are known for making good realistic recordings. I think his recording is excellent when you listen with headphones.

If you want to judge whether you like the device or speaker, I would refer to his channel.
He has good recording gear but most of the digitally sourced systems he videos don't sound good. His best sound was this one:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
He has good recording gear but most of the digitally sourced systems he videos don't sound good. His best sound was this one:
I think his recordings are good, especially since you get tips on how a speaker sounds at different angles. So to speak, setup tips, whether it is aimed directly at the ear or not how it sounds. Well, digital is easier, you don't need to wash the lp or adjust the cartridge perfectly. Otherwise there will be comments that he adjusted it badly. Of course you only hear the overall result, it's impossible to hear individual components. But to make a preliminary decision, do I like it or not?yes

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
this video does not change my opinion of Martin Logan Speakers.
I only listened to Martin Logan speakers (ESL X) briefly once, in a show. I felt a strong disconnect between the bass woofer and the rest of the frequency range produced by the panel, and it felt odd to me.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
I think his recordings are good, especially since you get tips on how a speaker sounds at different angles. So to speak, setup tips, whether it is aimed directly at the ear or not how it sounds. Well, digital is easier, you don't need to wash the lp or adjust the cartridge perfectly. Otherwise there will be comments that he adjusted it badly. Of course you only hear the overall result, it's impossible to hear individual components. But to make a preliminary decision, do I like it or not?yes
Yes one hears the overall result but whether I find the sound enjoyable or not usually depends on the source/source material being used. If it passes the enjoyable test I might seek out a demo of the Streamer/DAC involved.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing