Videos of Acoustically-Coupled Audio Recordings

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And to anyone who still wants to defend phone videos as useful info about a system's sound: Stop insulting your own intelligence. Please.

Ron, can you please add point 5 to your observations and suggestions opening post?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Ron, can you please add point 5 to your observations and suggestions opening post?

One would hope that bigotry would not be tolerated on WBF.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
IMHO these videos that show very little about the systems, and need too much imagination to recreate how they really sound. However the people more emotionally involved with their contents will love them, and they are part of an whole process of sharing preferences and music and should not be seen as individual universal entities. As such I they will be welcome in a forum like WBF, particularly as our hobby goes around an illusion ...

I think that the superfluous debate will go around Ked comment that listening to video needs maturity and experience, suggesting that those who do not see value on them are immature and un-experienced audiophiles ;) and Ron skeptical OP .

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Completely agree. Video listening needs a maturity and experience of listening to videos, of understanding where doubt the video and where to accept it.

The reason I prefer to stick to phones is it keeps a consistency. Adding in good recorders will add another complication.

Fremer has been using analog recorded files for ages to share with his readers. Never tried them.

I agree there will be unfair criticism.

IMHO we can not compare the value of Fremer Hi-Rez files carried at the output of preamplifiers , obtained in excellent conditions, with the dubious IPhone hand held recording.

Reactions: asiufy and Al M.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
IMHO these videos that show very little about the systems, and need too much imagination to recreate how they really sound. However the people more emotionally involved with their contents will love them, and they are part of an whole process of sharing preferences and music and should not be seen as individual universal entities. As such I they will be welcome in a forum like WBF, particularly as our hobby goes around an illusion ...

I think that the superfluous debate will go around Ked comment that listening to video needs maturity and experience, suggesting that those who do not see value on them are immature and un-experienced audiophiles ;) and Ron skeptical OP .

You should learn to read better, or clarify, instead of starting a food fight.

The experience maturity comment was to do with experience around videos, and lack of that... recording systems you have heard, seeing what the videos lose and retain, gaining experience with the videos. I am certain many here don't have experience with videos...i myself never even looked at videos till a few months ago and then started the exercise of doing this diligently

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You should learn to read better, or clarify, instead of starting a food fight.

The experience maturity comment was to do with experience around videos, and lack of that... recording systems you have heard, seeing what the videos lose and retain, gaining experience with the videos. I am certain many here don't have experience with videos...i myself never even looked at videos till a few months ago and then started the exercise of doing this diligently

Thanks it was exactly the point I was focusing. Pretending that by "diligent" listening work we can do a valid and useful comparison with these limited quality videos just because we have listened to many systems is not acceptable for many of us, including me. IMHO it is also what is being debated and we have different opinions on it.

The food fight was started in post one, I am just analyzing it and giving my opinion. A pity you specialize in telling what others should do, buy and think, and not in openly discussing arguments.

Reactions: Al M.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks it was exactly the point I was focusing. Pretending that by "diligent" listening work we can do a valid and useful comparison with these limited quality videos just because we have listened to many systems is not acceptable for many of us, including me. IMHO it is also what is being debated and we have different opinions on it.

The food fight was started in post one, I am just analyzing it and giving my opinion. A pity you specialize in telling what others should do, buy and think, and not in openly discussing arguments.

No, you quoted me as saying it needs experience and maturity to listen to videos. This is totally different from what I said, to gain experience with videos. Now whether the latter is a valid experience or not is a different point.

It is a pity you spread such falsehoods and then report posts to mods

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Reactions: ack

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No, you quoted me as saying it needs experience and maturity to listen to videos. This is totally different from what I said, to gain experience with videos. Now whether the latter is a valid experience or not is a different point.

It is a pity you spread such falsehoods and then report posts to mods

Sorry, no time for your usual bickering and childish accusations. This is not children's garden, it is WBF.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry, no time for your usual bickering and childish accusations.

Then don't start with that behavior. And if you want to dish out sh*t learn to take it instead of complaining

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Videos are audio fast food. Everybody likes fast food, but nobody wants to admit they eat it.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I find it curious that those who like the videos understand their limitations and qualify their usefulness, while those who don't like the videos seem completely dismissive of them. Those advocating for the videos see them as complimentary, not exclusive, and generally have a libertarian or live and let live attitude toward their arrival on the high end scene. They accept this arrival and some even welcome it as a good thing because it increases exposure and awareness about a hobby that we all love. Just look at the comment section on some of the YouTube videos about high end gear. People appreciate learning about this stuff, and one method seems to be through watching and listening to videos.

On the other hand, those who dislike the videos seem a bit hostile toward their arrive. Why is that? These videos aren't threatening. They are not purported by their makers to be a substitute for the sound of the actual system. They are simply a snapshot that someone wants to share with someone else, much like the quick photos my kids take on their iPhones to share with friends on Instagram. We all know that those small pictures on digital devices aren't the real people. They are just reminders of what the people look like and their images are shared as a form of communication and a way for people to connect with each other.

No one is claiming that a small digital picture of someone is an accurate representation that person. But, occasionally, it can be a pretty good facsimile of what that person looks like at a particular moment. These videos are nothing more or less than that. I don't think they are such a big deal, and I fail to understand why we are getting so worked up about it and why the two points of view seem to be in such disagreement.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
They are not purported by their makers to be a substitute for the sound of the actual system.

Sorry Peter, that's not the impression I get, specially here at WBF. When I see people comparing Munich rooms, and arriving at absolute conclusions and judgements, without ever setting foot there, all through videos, that's plain disturbing (to me).

Tim Link

Feb 12, 2019
I have been quite surprised at the usefulness of listening on headphones to videos of different systems recorded from the listening position. The cellphone microphones can be good enough to reveal some things about how the speakers are interacting with the room, which tends to be a dominant factor in the overall sound.

Reactions: MPS and RogerD

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There have been plenty of people who have, and will, continue to use information poorly, whether from videos, posts, reviews, show demos, facebook, whatsapp, and newspapers.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Sorry Peter, that's not the impression I get, specially here at WBF. When I see people comparing Munich rooms, and arriving at absolute conclusions and judgements, without ever setting foot there, all through videos, that's plain disturbing (to me).
I see no problem as most of your customers buy in store or read reviews. Nothing to be scared of here. Anyway the majority consensus is that HiFi shows are not the best place to do serious listening.
When I was in business I followed my business plan,service,build a distribution system,price, and superior product.
I really doubt these videos are any kind of competition and if they are....somebody’s in trouble.

Reactions: bonzo75

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Roger,

This has little to do with a store, but with the direction this hobby is going.

alex

Tim Link

Feb 12, 2019
High End audio music videos are fun and educational.

At first I thought this was a recording of those speakers playing in that room. That can't be true!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing