Videos of Acoustically-Coupled Audio Recordings

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Klipsch are not perfect speakers, they are fun and sometimes shoot beyond the mark, but with the right amplifier they never get boring. That's the most important thing when listening to music...foot tapping included

That first video is sterile and flat. It lacks energy and life, which is the essence of music, even sombre music about death waiting.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yes they were my initial thoughts, then I listened again all the way through and preferred 3 to 2, despite the tonal balance. Seems to have better flow similar to the turntable (captured with Shure MV88).
Sorry not hearing it…sounds dark and lacking resolution…can’t live with that.

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
I think the original digital release just isn't very good.
Take a listen to the vinyl version on a budget rig:

This album was released in 2015. I would bet that the CD and LP are very close. The YouTube recording of the system playing the LP sounds flat and there is less contrast - maybe this is what you like, but I would not say it is "better". The video posted by @Wavetouch has much better contrast - perhaps the bookshelf speakers don't extend very low, which is to be expected, but otherwise they do a good job, IMO.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
This album was released in 2015. I would bet that the CD and LP are very close. The YouTube recording of the system playing the LP sounds flat and there is less contrast - maybe this is what you like, but I would not say it is "better". The video posted by @Wavetouch has much better contrast - perhaps the bookshelf speakers don't extend very low, which is to be expected, but otherwise they do a good job, IMO.
I'm not surprised you don't think it sounds better as we hear very differently. Not sure why you think the CD and vinyl will be close, quite often they are not close even though derived from the same digital recording. You will be in a better position to hear the differences of vinyl vs digital playback if you use your turntable in an all analogue system.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
This is more like what Chris Stapleton actually sounds like, I see no reason why his record label can't offer digital releases of this quality:

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
I'm not surprised you don't think it sounds better as we hear very differently. Not sure why you think the CD and vinyl will be close, quite often they are not close even though derived from the same digital recording. You will be in a better position to hear the differences of vinyl vs digital playback if you use your turntable in an all analogue system.

I have not heard the LP, so I was just guessing that it sounds close to the CD version. Since making that statement, I actually looked it up and found this:

Seems all who have heard the LP agree that it does not sound good (worse than the CD!).

As for your last comment - you really have no idea what you are talking about.

The irony of course is that you are the one claiming to hear the "goodness" of vinyl through a low quality iphone recording of a low quality system played on YouTube with a vinyl that people seem to agree sounds bad (dull) to start with. Then you explain I would benefit from going "full analog"? Give me a break...

You sound like a "back seat driver" to me. Perhaps you should spend less time on YouTube and more time listening to actual systems (even if you don't have one yourself).

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
This is more like what Chris Stapleton actually sounds like, I see no reason why his record label can't offer digital releases of this quality:
Because it usually isn’t audiophiles who listen to Chris Stapleton . I personally think he is rather talentless and his recordings are typical mass market crap. Why you guys are even discussing his recordings is beyond me. If you like it as a guilty pkessure i guess that’s cool but to talk about the recordings? Seriously?

Reactions: Scott Naylor

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io

Here are some answers:

In this video he goes into a lot more detail as to how he records:

Or this one:

For that video you linked above, it seems they use this:

He uses this recorder: https://www.posthorn.com/Sounddev_15.html

A single, very good quality microphone, through a simple ADC can give excellent results. The "Tennessee Whisky" track involves multiple instruments, multiple microphones, mixing, etc...and maybe the engineers are looking for a different sound.

Here is a good one (nostalgia kicking in), with multiple instruments:

Really nice sound.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wavetouch

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Because it usually isn’t audiophiles who listen to Chris Stapleton . I personally think he is rather talentless and his recordings are typical mass market crap. Why you guys are even discussing his recordings is beyond me. If you like it as a guilty pkessure i guess that’s cool but to talk about the recordings? Seriously?
Here's one for you, assuming Jazz is not too low-brow, lol:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Here's one for you, assuming Jazz is not too low-brow, lol:

Jazz is great! I will listen when I have access to a proper replay system…the phone is not suitable.

Wavetouch

Jul 4, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
www.wavetouchaudio.com
Chris Stapleton needs Funspeakers more emotional not High-end speakers that sounds like hifi ...sorry
It sounds so grain that I can't hear it more than a couple of minutes (hurt my ears). But I am deeply impressed with it's musicality. I must listen my system (or an original music) to butter my ears after hearing K-sound.

Last edited:
Reactions: hopkins

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
It sounds so grain that I can't hear it more than a couple of minutes (hurt my ears). But I am deeply impressed with it's musicality. I must listen my system (or an original music) to butter my ears after hearing K-sound.
Listen to the Klipsch at home with a good tube amp, it sounds completely different than in a small screening room with lots of reverb and echoes. You'll like the sound, lively, it just rocks well.no softened high-end sound without rough edges.
I forget the Stapleon lp at a friend home, youtube playback shorty use headphone better sound.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing