Voodoo Audio Cables

jtcfdog

Apr 22, 2023
The past few weeks I've been auditioning two of this company's cables that I picked up used at very good prices.The Reference digital was first,which so impressed me I bought a pair of ICs, the Ultralinear.I believe these both are silver (not plated copper). Their pcs seem to be popular but there's very little talk about their other offerings.
The digital coax is between a Cambridge CXC transport and a AudioMirror Tubadour ll.The first day it was awful, grainy and loud tubby bass.The next day it had transformed to a smooth, delicate, detailed sound.I was hooked. The only caveat is it leans toward a cool presentation. I thought to myself that the cymbals sounded like stainless steel instead of brass.Over the next several days I tried different copper and copper hybrids from the leftover box between the Dac and Rogue RP1 pre.Nope.Then I moved the ZenWave silver IC from between the amp(AricAudio) and pre to that position and that did it.I'm not sure how to describe what changed. It was like a huge sense of aural relief, a release of tension. I felt what was needed is to stick with one metal throughout.In the past I've always mixed and matched.
Next up was the Ultralinear IC between the pre and amp.It sounded great right away with the same Voodoo house sound with an illusion of a deeper soundstage. Changing the input tube to a warmer sounding Psvane eliminated the cool tone and restored the warmth that was lacking.
I thought I was done with fooling with cables but I had to go and buy new super sensitive Zu Omen Def speakers which changes everything again.Anyway,I like these cables quite a lot and I'm not tempted to move up towards Voodoo's flagship products. The ZUs don't need any help being more dynamic and detailed than they are naturally. After these cables settle in for a few months I might try another IC or speaker cables from Voodoo to compare against the ZenWaves.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

b345t

May 10, 2020
The past few weeks I've been auditioning two of this company's cables that I picked up used at very good prices.The Reference digital was first,which so impressed me I bought a pair of ICs, the Ultralinear.I believe these both are silver (not plated copper). Their pcs seem to be popular but there's very little talk about their other offerings.
The digital coax is between a Cambridge CXC transport and a AudioMirror Tubadour ll.The first day it was awful, grainy and loud tubby bass.The next day it had transformed to a smooth, delicate, detailed sound.I was hooked. The only caveat is it leans toward a cool presentation. I thought to myself that the cymbals sounded like stainless steel instead of brass.Over the next several days I tried different copper and copper hybrids from the leftover box between the Dac and Rogue RP1 pre.Nope.Then I moved the ZenWave silver IC from between the amp(AricAudio) and pre to that position and that did it.I'm not sure how to describe what changed. It was like a huge sense of aural relief, a release of tension. I felt what was needed is to stick with one metal throughout.In the past I've always mixed and matched.
Next up was the Ultralinear IC between the pre and amp.It sounded great right away with the same Voodoo house sound with an illusion of a deeper soundstage. Changing the input tube to a warmer sounding Psvane eliminated the cool tone and restored the warmth that was lacking.
I thought I was done with fooling with cables but I had to go and buy new super sensitive Zu Omen Def speakers which changes everything again.Anyway,I like these cables quite a lot and I'm not tempted to move up towards Voodoo's flagship products. The ZUs don't need any help being more dynamic and detailed than they are naturally. After these cables settle in for a few months I might try another IC or speaker cables from Voodoo to compare against the ZenWaves.
Interesting, nice review. So regarding the tone, what do you feel vs the Zenwave (DSR?) is different with the Voodoo? I have found all of Dave's cables to be highly resolving and very correct regarding tone; no extremes. I believe Dave is about to release his new flagship cable too.

jtcfdog

Apr 22, 2023
The ZenWave DSR IC is between the Dac and pre now,sandwiched between the two Voodoos.I think they are a good match together. Dave doesn't have a digital cable, though others have had good results using his D4 as a digital coax.
I bought the Voodoos because they were 1/2 price and I was curious. I have Dave's copper ribbon speaker cables now that I like very much. But now I'm wondering since this is working out so well should I do away with copper altogether.ZenWave SCR will be on the list. I'll mull it over for a while.

jtcfdog

Apr 22, 2023
Latest experiment was to switch the Voodoo Ultralinear between the Dac and pre with the ZenWave now between the pre and amp. A bit smoother and more articulate with the Voodoos both on the digital components.I'm really tempted to purchase a second Ultralinear to satisfy my OCD:) There's one more used one available, but it's likely to be a sideways move - just a little different.I'm close to where I hope to be with a good balance of macro and micro nuance. Just a flash of upper mid glare I hope to eliminate.
A couple of months from now I want to try silver speaker cables from Voodoo,ZenWave, and also the Zu Event cables.These speakers seem to do their best with leaner sounding cabling in the system with the tubes providing a hint of warm timbre and body.

Last edited:

jtcfdog

Apr 22, 2023
So after fiddling with various ics to compliment the Voodoos and emailing Bruce himself at Voodoo, I finally took a chance on a used pair of their Stradivarius Cremoa ics.Bruce had recommended another one of OCC copper that was less expensive but I had my doubts. I tried a couple (different brands OCC) from the storage box and there were gains in some areas but unacceptable losses.
It was delivered this morning and I am just thrilled with the sound I'm hearing now. I was really worried they would be overly dynamic and cold and would have to return them for store credit for lord knows what. They are perfect.A touch of warmth but wonderfully articulate.Big sigh of relief. I think I could go for an entire loom of Voodoos. They seem to have enough variety to find the perfect mix of ics, power and speaker cables to bring the best out of a system. The caveat is the CableCompany is the only U.S. dealer and they have none to lend out.I've asked.On the other hand the music is sounding really REALLY good and seriously further attempts at upgrading is just audiophile nervousa;-)
A couple of things that stood out today were the brass instruments in a few selections from Corey Harris -Fish Ain't Bitin' "new awlins" style trombone and tuba were spot on,really amazing. My son plays low brass professionally so I'm familiar. Another was an unusual instrumental featuring guitar and vibraphone - MistRess of Storms from Charity of Night - Bruce Colburn. I could hear the mallets strike the keys and follow them practically visually as they moved back and forth. If everything isn't "right" the vibes glare horribly. I was so happy! I knew the ZUs were capable if I didn't give up tweaking.

jtcfdog

Apr 22, 2023
Not being able to leave well enough alone, I went ahead and bought an eight foot pair of Voodoo Evolution speaker cables.Just had to know what would happen with a loom(except pcs).I'm hearing a more natural ebb and flow along with a bit more transparency and separation,like an OTL amp sounds.A different flavor than the ZenWave scrs but not better. I had enough sense to go for a longer length this time so the speakers can be repositioned as they really need to be.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

b345t

May 10, 2020
Not being able to leave well enough alone, I went ahead and bought an eight foot pair of Voodoo Evolution speaker cables.Just had to know what would happen with a loom(except pcs).I'm hearing a more natural ebb and flow along with a bit more transparency and separation,like an OTL amp sounds.A different flavor than the ZenWave scrs but not better. I had enough sense to go for a longer length this time so the speakers can be repositioned as they really need to be.
Could you elaborate on how you hear their difference compared to the Zenwave in terms of tone, speed, bass etc?

jtcfdog

Apr 22, 2023
Could you elaborate on how you hear their difference compared to the Zenwave in terms of tone, speed, bass etc?
I'll try. The ZenWaves are the copper ribbons not the silver ribbons that Dave also offers. The Evolutions are strands of both solid silver and strands of solid copper.They will measure differently and as usual YMMV.
In my system between my tube amp and Zu Omen Defs and Harbeths that came before the ZWs were warmish with really nice tone and texture, beautiful midrange.To get more definition in the highs and bass, clean clear new production tubes for the input stage did the job.I was happy with them.
The VD Evolutions are leaner and cooler in comparison.They have more definition and separation between instruments and vocalists.Cymbals,shakers,etc.are clearer.The bass is outstanding, deep and articulate. The mids aren't as lush and "tubey" but still retain the correct tone.I'm using warmer tubes in the input and the VD Strativarius ic (copper/silver) to balance the sound.The ZUs respond really well to leaner cooler cabling.That became obvious as soon as I changed the digital cable, then began working my way to the speakers.

Reactions: b345t

b345t

May 10, 2020
I'll try. The ZenWaves are the copper ribbons not the silver ribbons that Dave also offers. The Evolutions are strands of both solid silver and strands of solid copper.They will measure differently and as usual YMMV.
In my system between my tube amp and Zu Omen Defs and Harbeths that came before the ZWs were warmish with really nice tone and texture, beautiful midrange.To get more definition in the highs and bass, clean clear new production tubes for the input stage did the job.I was happy with them.
The VD Evolutions are leaner and cooler in comparison.They have more definition and separation between instruments and vocalists.Cymbals,shakers,etc.are clearer.The bass is outstanding, deep and articulate. The mids aren't as lush and "tubey" but still retain the correct tone.I'm using warmer tubes in the input and the VD Strativarius ic (copper/silver) to balance the sound.The ZUs respond really well to leaner cooler cabling.That became obvious as soon as I changed the digital cable, then began working my way to the speakers.
Thanks!

sergeyvoronov

Sep 28, 2023
Erevan
Could I ask a quetion? Maybe not exactly about the cables, but about the company and its business practices. I know that Voodoo Cable probably a good company and they are making a good cables. But at the same time they are selling their cables in Russia and not just selling it (many still does it) - they are partnering with a guy named Vlad Shumilov who is known very well in Russia as a ultra-far-right pro-putin, pro-war, pro-USSR and anti-American activist. How ethical it is for a respected American company to work with such a guy? I understand that not everybody could leave this market alltogether like Coca-Cola, Macdonalds and hundreds other companies did, business is business and money is money, but maybe they should check better with whom to work with? Or money doesn't smell at all?

jtcfdog

Apr 22, 2023
Could I ask a quetion? Maybe not exactly about the cables, but about the company and its business practices. I know that Voodoo Cable probably a good company and they are making a good cables. But at the same time they are selling their cables in Russia and not just selling it (many still does it) - they are partnering with a guy named Vlad Shumilov who is known very well in Russia as a ultra-far-right pro-putin, pro-war, pro-USSR and anti-American activist. How ethical it is for a respected American company to work with such a guy? I understand that not everybody could leave this market alltogether like Coca-Cola, Macdonalds and hundreds other companies did, business is business and money is money, but maybe they should check better with whom to work with? Or money doesn't smell at all?
I had no idea!Nowadays Voodoo's focus is mostly on connectors and not so much on cables here in the states. I stumbled across the cables while perusing used silver cables.I never thought to delve into the company owner's political leaning.If they were more mainstream that would have come to light and caused me to fact check.
There are some fine companies and owners based in countries where I strongly disagree with the governments,but not the individuals.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing