VPI HW19 Mk3 Motor speed issue

Phoenix Engineering

Jul 15, 2016
Behind the Cheddar Curtain
The actual dimensions of the pulley on the player are 18.2(33.3) and 24(45) measured at the bottom of the pulley-groove.
OK, I'm confused. If the actual OD of the 33 RPM spindle is 18.2mm, then it would need to be 500 RPM.

I forgot about those pulleys with only a single groove.

With a speed controller, you do not move the belt, the controller changes frequency to move between 33/45 RPM.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Math is fun.

gocc

Mar 11, 2022
OK, I'm confused. If the actual OD of the 33 RPM spindle is 18.2mm, then it would need to be 500 RPM.

I forgot about those pulleys with only a single groove.

With a speed controller, you do not move the belt, the controller changes frequency to move between 33/45 RPM.
I cannot check the markings on the motor, it's inside the plinth and I will disassemble the player only if I have to. Setting up the arm again is NOT simple. And regarding the rpm - of course you are right, I was thinking one thing and writing another. - the speed of the motor is 500rpm on 50hz or 600 at 60. The math mentioned before proves it too.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Still no word from VPI?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So we do have some communication.

gocc

Mar 11, 2022
Latest update - I've received a new/correct sized pulley. Yeeeee... But I have another problem now. I expected the old pulley to be fastened with two screws, like the new one. But there are no screws on the old pulley. Seems to be just pressed on or even maybe glued on the shaft. Tried applying some force to remove it but it does not move. Any suggestions, how can I remove the old pulley from the motor shaft?

Thanks!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Let's assume it's not a one price. You have to be careful. It's probably seized up. Which is a good thing until you need to remove it.
WD 40 usually loosens most things. Be patient.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Latest update - I've received a new/correct sized pulley. Yeeeee... But I have another problem now. I expected the old pulley to be fastened with two screws, like the new one. But there are no screws on the old pulley. Seems to be just pressed on or even maybe glued on the shaft. Tried applying some force to remove it but it does not move. Any suggestions, how can I remove the old pulley from the motor shaft?

Thanks!
Try using a heat gun, or at least a hairdryer to heat up the pulley. If it's a tight fit, that will loosen it up. If it's glued it should loosen up the glue. Take your time and don't lose your temper. You might also need some kind of lever to apply steady force in the direction they should be separated.

If you use WD40 remember to clean it afterwards. It has a drying effect that might damage bearings inside the motor.

gocc

Mar 11, 2022
Thanks for the suggestions!

Fixed it with a heat gun on low setting. 30 sec blowing did the trick. New pulley mounted and works perfectly. Correct speed at last!! :) HW19 Mk3 + Forsell Air Reference + Shinon Red Boron are here to stay. No plans or reasons for an upgrade for a long time!!

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Don't forget to thank VPI.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thanks for the suggestions!

Fixed it with a heat gun on low setting. 30 sec blowing did the trick. New pulley mounted and works perfectly. Correct speed at last!! :) HW19 Mk3 + Forsell Air Reference + Shinon Red Boron are here to stay. No plans or reasons for an upgrade for a long time!!
Glad to hear it worked. Sounds like a stunning setup!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing