VTL TP-6.5 Signature II Phono Stage Reviewed by Michael Fremer

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
Not intended to be meant as a direct comment to anybody but in principle I try not to comment on the components I have not used in my system or listened to in few other system I know well. It is very hard to pinpoint the reasons (mainly) for bad or average sound to a certain component if you don’t know the system well enough. I think many discussions would be more relevant (and shorter) if we would stick to this principle and not use second or third hand experience.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I think writing these reviews is like standing blindfolded in front of the firing squad waiting for the bullets, with extremes of fanboys and defiants coming out of the woodwork.

Somebody wrote about the coinage of the audio critics, where they couch their language in a way that 'says everything and says nothing', a sort of criticspeak diplomacy that needs to be interpreted through subtle shades to get the main message if any, but always allows plausible deniability and defense. Much is just poetics exotica. I sometimes wonder how much of it is appended to hearing or is just made up as filler.

It reminds me of pathology or radiology reports, where doctors fearful of liability have very strange, elaborate language in their reports, trying to sound non committal while giving clues that won't bind them up later, kind of wink wink nod nod stuff.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
funny, I love the ARC 160ms and think they are the best ARC amps in decades and avoid that whitish, SS-like sound from old ARC tubes. Perhaps it was just a poor match with the unnamed speakers you heard them on.
also funny that the 160 series is the most popular amps I believe that ARC has ever produced. It is also a fact the there is a MK 2 version of the amplifiers now available and a new Reference320 coming down the pipeline soon. My company will be exhibiting using 4 of the new 160M MK2 at Axpona and I am very sure it wont sound awful.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Most discussions on the audiofora end up being a discussion regarding taste .
People should be thankfull for diversity in audio land
I liked the ARC 160 M in the brief exposure i had , one could argue i have no taste off course , but all these discussions come across as rather simplistic .
If you find something you like buy it/ enjoy it , simple
No instead most of the time on fora is spend in denigrating other products.
It was the first time I ever heard a dealer putting down his own product...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Thank you for pointing that out. My intention was not attacking to reviews but it went in a different way.

I heard enough amplifiers or enough Audio Researchs to draw conclusions and spent enough time to distinguish a bad match from a terrible sound but that’s not really important.

I don’t argue if Audio Research 160Ms are bad or not. I only brought that up as a clear example of how wrong you can go if you buy based on reviews. Just like the people here I’m sharing my honest opinion without expecting any benefits. I’m behind my words about 160Ms. I might be wrong but I’m not lying. IMHO that is not always true with reviewers.
it was your word choice - using pejoratives is going to get a response on an Internet forum. You don’t like ARC, that’s fine.

and Mr Jazz was being facetious…

Reactions: MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
it was your word choice - using pejoratives is going to get a response on an Internet forum. You don’t like ARC, that’s fine.

and Mr Jazz was being facetious…
I was......being facetious..... Apparently a few thought otherwise.... Although I have never heard the 160 Mono's, I can't envision them sounding "HORRIBLE",..... under any conditions unless there was some obvious system setup issue, etc.

I have however read a few posts on various forums that thought the 160 Mono's didn't sound quite as good as anticipated.... but definitely NOT HORRIBLE..... ONE individual mentioned that they thought the 160S Stereo version sounded considerably better, which seems paradoxical when Mono's of the same brand are compared to their Stereo equivalents.....

Anyway different strokes for different folks as the saying goes.

Cheers....

Scott Naylor

Mar 19, 2021
I have consistently complemented Michael for conducting comparative reviews, and I have lauded him for the greatly heightened level of effort and time and box-swapping and critical listening which comparative reviews require. Michael concludes this review with:

- MF review quotation removed for brevity’s sake-
But it sure would've been great to learn Michael's comparative thoughts on this VTL phono stage versus his reference CH Precision phono stage. I hope the powers that be at The absolute Sound have not pressured Michael to cease conducting and writing comparative reviews. I hope I'm worrying about nothing.
For some comparative thoughts between the VTL and CH Precision, see Roy Gregory's excellent work here:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing