Wadax World Premiere at Munich Highend

Looks nice .
Im in Neurenberg at the moment ,beautifull weather here in germany.on my way to the show
I ll be seing / hearing it saturday sunday .

Price.....???

Separate power supply i assume?
It’s a self contained unit than can also be hooked directly to an amp. They are planning in the future to make a PS upgrade and an add on clock . No details as of yet.

Thanks for sharing. Have Göbel built a room within a room? Have a great show.
no it’s the same room design and treatment that has been used for a few years .

comments from a (non Wadax owner) friend from Munich this morning. below is a short video w/product detail brochure) on the new Wadax "STUDIO PLAYER" product.

>>>>>The new Wadax caught my attention. And I feel that there is new things in that one box, which may flow through to the reference. That’s what we felt when we kept asking questions.

the new Wadax was sounding very sweet.<<<<<

da1b1185-d9a1-4399-894d-f9ad180a81ef.jpeg6eb23264-7439-4755-9ca2-4f06f1c5ddd5.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't understand something, it seems that Studio Player has a built-in DAC, however in the attached image an independent DAC appears.IMG_0610.png

So the other three devices below the Studio Player are upcoming later than Munich?

comments from a (non Wadax owner) friend from Munich this morning. i had mentioned i was interested in how the new Taiko Olympus server sounded. i'll post any relevant follow-up comments if i get them. below is a short video w/product detail brochure) on the new Wadax "STUDIO PLAYER" product.

>>>>>The Taiko has a dark background too. It’s still just the first day, so I can’t fully comment.
I can’t say it sounds bad, nor can I say it is gripping.

The new Wadax caught my attention more. And I feel that there is new things in that one box, which may flow through to the reference. That’s what we felt when we kept asking questions.

the new Wadax was sounding very sweet.<<<<<

View attachment 130437View attachment 130438
the design looks much nicer, the other reminds me of a mantel clock from the 19th century..sorry

Assuming that the DAC, Clock and PSU are future upgrades coming for the Studio. Is this the replacement for the standard Atlantis setup that was recently discontinued? Would the Studio player by itself be an upgrade over the standard Atlantis Transport/DAC?

George

Reactions: Alrainbow
I have a picture of the rear it’s a complete stand alone
looks like options for ext psu and ext clocks
has what looks like is bal analog outputs
only
Network connection no internal storage
does has a few digital a few digital outputs for I think a transport use
Me personally having heard wadax a few times
This is for many a way to get into sota and a cheap cost

So no USB input? No way to connect a quality music server like a Taiko or other? Seems like a bit of a miss if one is more interested in local file playback than streaming. Am I missing something? Been sick all week and on strong meds so I must be! :)

George

Well, with that configuration on the back, the playback of local files would have to be from a NAS on the Local Network and it seems that the connection to an external DAC would have to be done via SPDIF, since I don't see an AKASA output connector, like in the Reference Server.

I correct, watching the video indicates that the connection could be Akasa to the DAC. It will then be by adding an Akasa module to the Studio Player.

Well, with that configuration on the back, the playback of local files would have to be from a NAS on the Local Network and it seems that the connection to an external DAC would have to be done via SPDIF, since I don't see an AKASA output connector, like in the Reference Server.
Except I don’t see any mention of uPnP support on their website.

George

@nonesup

talking to Elliot in Munich on the phone, he did say that the STUDIO series dac in that one picture is not a real thing at the moment. but that is a future possibility in the series. the clock and power supply are real and will be coming soon.

looking at the specs from the link, you can output a digital stream, so this could be used for a CD only transport for the big Reference series dac. it won't quite be on the level of the new $120k Reference transport as it won't have the Akasa optical link among other advantages, but it's real world money and a possibility to do.

Digital outputs:
1xSPDIF RCA (32KHz-192KHz, 16-24 bits)
1xSPDIF BNC (32KHz-192KHz, 16-24 bits)
1xAES-EBU (32KHz-192KHz, 16-24 bits)

also; those clock inputs can be used with another clock. I already have a $27k Esoteric Clock for my Esoteric T1 tt which could be used.

so it's real world to use the STUDIO PLAYER right now as a transport for the Reference dac with a clock. only PCM including Blue Ray discs. have to use the analog output for SACD. and the PSU connector is the same used for the Reference series so I suppose I could plug my Reference Server PSU into it.

hummmmmmmmmmm. :) :p :)

Last edited:
the design looks much nicer, the other reminds me of a mantel clock from the 19th century..sorry
I am way over worrying about negative impressions of the Wadax Reference chassis design. anyone who sees my Wadax gear in person fawns over it. and I love it.

agree the new STUDIO series is easier to like in photos. which I suppose matters. it will have to be more WAF friendly.

regarding the external digital outputs to
most dacs have what is shown
only usb is not shown
what I don’t see is a way to use the Dac alone from an alt digital source
An example my own transport or digital source
what’s best is the cost to start
very few players do this at this level of status and not at this price.

@nonesup

talking to Elliot in Munich on the phone, he did say that the STUDIO series dac in that one picture is not a real thing at the moment. but that is a future possibility in the series. the clock and power supply are real and will be coming soon.

looking at the specs from the link, you can output a digital stream, so this could be used for a transport for the big Reference series dac. you would need to get the input module for your dac which is not standard. it won't quite be on the level of the new $120k Reference transport as it won't have the Akasa optical link among other advantages, but it's real world money and a possibility to do.

Digital outputs:
1xSPDIF RCA (32KHz-192KHz, 16-24 bits)
1xSPDIF BNC (32KHz-192KHz, 16-24 bits)
1xAES-EBU (32KHz-192KHz, 16-24 bits)

also; those clock inputs can be used with another clock. I already have a $27k Esoteric Clock for my Esoteric T1 tt which could be used.

so it's real world to use the STUDIO PLAYER right now as a transport for the Reference dac with a clock. and the PSU connector is the same used for the Reference series so I suppose I could plug my Reference Server PSU into it.

hummmmmmmmmmm. :) :p :)
Mike, it looks like the Studio DAC will be able to connect to the Reference Server and Studio Player via the Akasa optical link. Of course, this means adding an Akasa module to the Studio Player, which does not have it in the image on the back.IMG_0612.png

I am way over worrying about negative impressions of the Wadax Reference chassis design. anyone who sees my Wadax gear in person fawns over it. and I love it.

agree the new STUDIO series is easier to like in photos. which I suppose matters. it will have to be more WAF friendly.
It is important that you are satisfied, for me a no go round display on right-angled devices. Even if the build quality is exceptional.

It is important that you are satisfied, for me a no go round display on right-angled devices. Even if the build quality is exceptional.
ok. we have clearly established that the chassis design of the Wadax Reference series is not your cup of tea.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing