Wally Tools are coming back

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I checked into the Wally Analog Relaunch to see what's new. Several things, it turns out.

They are offering the Wally Tractor Universal alignment tool, an updated Wally Skater to set anti-skate, and a service to examine your cartridge (you send to them) for the correct or incorrect mount of the stylus to cantilever and will tell you its SRA when the headshell is perfectly level at a nominal tracking force. (Some manufacturers will let you return a cartridge with an improperly mounted stylus.) In-home system setup is also an offering.

I was really pleased to learn they will offer a new Wally VTA tool, renamed the Wally Level. I have the original and use it everytime I setup a cartridge. A new Wally Scale is also in the offing.

Also new is a blog named Wally School - informative articles covering various aspects of cartridge mounting. No cost, just read. All are recent within the last 2 months. I see: two articles on Skating Force and Anti-Skating, Stylus Rake Angle, 9" and 12" arms and others. All are well written quick reads and interesting based on your level of knowledge or curiousity.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I'd be up for a wally vta tool.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Re the Wally VTA, maybe pictures can help; the first is stock Wally photo, the rest are mine. This is the original tool:

Wally_VTA-gauge-1.jpg

Step 1 is to measure the height of the mounted cartridge, from record to bottom of headshell.

DSC01088.JPG

Step 2: Dismount the cartridge, then mount the tool along with shims of different thickness to achieve that same height.

Step 3: Using a practice record, adjust tonearm height so the long bar of the tool is flat against the record surface. I use a flashlight behind it and adjust for no light coming under the bar. You can get the headshell exactly level. You can do this for different record thickness.

DSC00946.JPG

Once level, I write down the mark of the tonearm's height gauge so its easy to return to level without re-measuring. It's quite simple.

Reactions: MadFloyd

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I received an email for J.R. Boisclair pointing me to a series of educational videos he made about cartridge alignment and turntable setup.

Here is one about alignment patterns:
https://www.wallyanalog.com/post/th...know-this-stuff-if-you-truly-love-your-analog

The videos are brief, well made and Boisclair speaks clearly and straightforwardly on various topics. Of course they demonstrate the new Wally Tools, but the concepts involved translate to what many/some of us know about dialing in an arm and cartridge and perhaps offer a few tidbits you may not know.

I suspect novices and experts alike may enjoy viewing them. I'm kinda promoting these (no interest) because I think it is a good thing to see the vinyl-analog hobby stay active and made clearer to those just starting out.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I spoke with J.R. Boisclair the other day and he told me the replacement for the Wally VTA is available. For now it is named the WallyReference. There is support for both headshell adjusted azimuth (such as an SME Vd) and pivot area or armwand adjusted azimuth (such as a Kuzma 4Point or Tri-Planar).

He pointed me at this blurb about the WallyReference.
  • Allows simple, quick and repeatable confirmation that the top surface of your cartridge is perfectly level in BOTH horizontal axes – front/back (SRA) & left/right (azimuth)
  • Quickly and easily move your cartridge to other tonearms with the same ideal Stylus Rake Angle (SRA) and azimuth angle - No need for a second turntable or tonearm when you can setup all cartridge/tonearm parameters in 15-20 minutes
  • An essential tool for finding the ideal SRA for your cartridge
  • Displays the effect on SRA by adjustments to azimuth and vice versa. On most tonearms, changing azimuth also changes SRA. WallyReference allows you to compensate for this and keep SRA constant.
  • Includes personalized support from WAM Engineering
I have not seen or used this tool but from his account and seeing pictures, it looks like it has potential to be very helpful. Info on the WAM Web site. I have no affiliation.

Edit: Here is another information page.

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I spoke with J.R. Boisclair the other day and he told me the replacement for the Wally VTA is available. For now it is named the WallyReference. There is support for both headshell adjusted azimuth (such as an SME Vd) and pivot area or armwand adjusted azimuth (such as a Kuzma 4Point or Tri-Planar).

He pointed me at this blurb about the WallyReference.
  • Allows simple, quick and repeatable confirmation that the top surface of your cartridge is perfectly level in BOTH horizontal axes – front/back (SRA) & left/right (azimuth)
  • Quickly and easily move your cartridge to other tonearms with the same ideal Stylus Rake Angle (SRA) and azimuth angle - No need for a second turntable or tonearm when you can setup all cartridge/tonearm parameters in 15-20 minutes
  • An essential tool for finding the ideal SRA for your cartridge
  • Displays the effect on SRA by adjustments to azimuth and vice versa. On most tonearms, changing azimuth also changes SRA. WallyReference allows you to compensate for this and keep SRA constant.
  • Includes personalized support from WAM Engineering
I have not seen or used this tool but from his account and seeing pictures, it looks like it has potential to be very helpful. Info on the WAM Web site. I have no affiliation.
The tools look complex when you can simply use target level for starting point. SRA/VTA is best set by ear, don’t see the point of their shims and you can’t set azimuth from a dummy jig when cartridges are imperfect!

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The tools look complex when you can simply use target level for starting point. SRA/VTA is best set by ear, don’t see the point of their shims and you can’t set azimuth from a dummy jig when cartridges are imperfect!

I understand the purpose of this particular tool is to get the headshell parallel to the record, front to back and side to side. I don't believe it is for actually setting SRA or Azimuth but establishing a starting point for doing so.

If you look at my post about the original Wally VTA, it explains how the shims are used. But yes the new tool looks more complex than the original.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
@tima, Hi Tim did you have the chance to compare Wallytractor with Smart Tractor?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
@tima, Hi Tim did you have the chance to compare Wallytractor with Smart Tractor?

Hi Savvas.

I had an original arc-based WallyTractor for my Tri-Planar- the version that is tonearm and pivot-to-spindle specific. I liked that over the Mint because the WallyTractor had a pin-point size hole or dimple for the stylus to go in, which I thought helpful. Also I could call Wally on the phone and ask questions.

I switched to the Dietrich Brakemeier UNI-Pro and UNI-P2S when it first came out in 2010 - it has been expanded since then. The SmartTractor is a less expensive version of the UNI-Pro protractor, though the UNI-Pro includes other tools. The UNI-Pro and SmartTractor work with a wide range of arms. Wally did eventually came out with a WallyUniversal that worked with a variety of arms.

So I did compare the original WallyTractor with the UNI-Pro - three point versus single point alignment. The UNI-P2S gave me more confidence in geting the pivot-to-spindle exact than using a ruler. Imo, both protractor tools will align a cartridge correctly. I did find the UNI-Pro much easier and faster to use, largely because it made viewing the stylus/cantilever much easier and because it was a single point. It also supported multiple arms and I didn't have to purchase a new Wally if I got a new arm.

Times and tools have changed. I have not used a SmartTractor or Wally Universal. And now there is an updated Wally Universal. What would I choose today? Depends on how much I'd want to spend. I think my first choice would probably be the UNI-Pro kit though it is even more expensive now. I'd also feel confident with the SmartTractor based on using the UNI-Pro; the SmartTractor also includes the precision P2S function. The new WallyTractor includes P2S, but from what I see, it will not be as accurate and the UNI-P2S. I believe (not certain) both Wally and SmartTractor support Baerwald and Loefgren; only SmartTractor supports Brakemeier's own UNI-DIN alignment. I would definitely investigate the updated WallyTractor. There is a Fremer review of the new WallyTractor in Sept. 2020 Stereophile, but I haven't read it.

Edit: Found that Stereophile Fremer article on the new WallyTractor is on-line and read it. You can find it here. This updated tool includes recalculated null points for records with "a significant increase in innermost groove radius." Those can be post 1990 LPs and 45rpm 12" records. Fremer says the tool's P2S measument is "super-accurate." Maybe it now competes well with the SmartTractor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vienna

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Hi Savvas.

I had an original arc-based WallyTractor for my Tri-Planar- the version that is tonearm and pivot-to-spindle specific. I liked that over the Mint because the WallyTractor had a pin-point size hole or dimple for the stylus to go in, which I thought helpful. Also I could call Wally on the phone and ask questions.

I switched to the Dietrich Brakemeier UNI-Pro and UNI-P2S when it first came out in 2010 - it has been expanded since then. The SmartTractor is a less expensive version of the UNI-Pro protractor, though the UNI-Pro includes other tools. The UNI-Pro and SmartTractor work with a wide range of arms. Wally did eventually came out with a WallyUniversal that worked with a variety of arms.

So I did compare the original WallyTractor with the UNI-Pro - three point versus single point alignment. The UNI-P2S gave me more confidence in geting the pivot-to-spindle exact than using a ruler. Imo, both protractor tools will align a cartridge correctly. I did find the UNI-Pro much easier and faster to use, largely because it made viewing the stylus/cantilever much easier and because it was a single point. It also supported multiple arms and I didn't have to purchase a new Wally if I got a new arm.

Times and tools have changed. I have not used a SmartTractor or Wally Universal. And now there is an updated Wally Universal. What would I choose today? Depends on how much I'd want to spend. I think my first choice would probably be the UNI-Pro kit though it is even more expensive now. I'd also feel confident with the SmartTractor based on using the UNI-Pro; the SmartTractor also includes the precision P2S function. The new WallyTractor includes P2S, but from what I see, it will not be as accurate and the UNI-P2S. I believe (not certain) both Wally and SmartTractor support Baerwald and Loefgren; only SmartTractor supports Brakemeier's own UNI-DIN alignment. I would definitely investigate the updated WallyTractor. There is a Fremer review of the new WallyTractor in Sept. 2020 Stereophile, but I haven't read it.
Thank you, I am very happy with the Smart Tractor

J.R. Boisclair

Jun 30, 2020
Hi guys. I think this is my first time posting on whatsbestforum. I tried looking for the rules of engagement before posting this but could not find any. If this violates the rules of the forum, please advise me and accept my apologies.

There was some question as to the accuracy of the WallyTractor pivot to spindle ruler versus the SmartTractor that I'd like to address. The "beam" style protractors used by SmartTractor and Feickert have a couple disadvantages for getting pivot to spindle dimension determined accurately when compared to arc protractors.
1. Stacked tolerance errors. On Beam style protractors, there are at least four parts that must fit together across X, Y & Z axis in a manner that offers perfect perpendicularity on the horizontal plane to the radius the stylus is situated on AND ALSO remain perfectly vertical for each vertically oriented part - at each part mating so that the pin hanging over the pivot point is perfectly vertical to the horizontal alignment plane and not shifted at all on the horizontal plane off of said perpendicularity requirement. This is TOUGH to do. How can we be sure it has been accomplished? Add to this the uncertainty that the tonearm manufacturer has accurately marked the pivot point on top of the tonearm housing - if it has been done at all.
2. Parallax error. To situate the pin over the pivot point you cannot have your eye in the proper position to confirm the alignment as it is impossible to see straight through the axis of the pin. We are forced to lean to one side and determine from there. This causes parallax error (and is also the reason one should ONLY use a mirrored protractor when aligning the cantilever). If the pin is VERY sharp and cut into a severe cone shape AND if the pin is less than a millimeter from the pivot point, then parallax error can be reduced. However, if you are a half of a millimeter off on the pin alignment to the pivot point, then you can be a half of a millimeter off on your stylus position. This is the same difference of Baerwald vs Leofgren on a 9" arm.

Arc protractors bypass this concern because if you can have your stylus trace the arc then you can know with certainty that the centerpoint of the arc's radius is EXACTLY in the same horizontal position as your pivot point. This is why I don't go into much discussion about the use of the pivot to spindle ruler. It comes in handy when a customer reaches out to me to say they couldn't reach the targeted arc. I then have them measure P-S and often find that the arm was not well installed. We can usually always find an arc that will work for such cases.

Further, if you have enough play in your headshell slots and can achieve stylus alignment in the arc then why do you need to know your pivot to spindle distance is exactly what the manufacturer calls for? I have done the math on MANY manufacturer specs and see that about 25% of them are calling for non-IEC standards of the innermost and outermost grooves. Some are using off-spec groove assumptions and so on. The only one I know that is forthright about such assumptions is Marc Gomez of SAT.

Check this out for more information: VIDEO HERE. You'll see my rationale for why aligning for maximum angular error performance at the inner groove fails to take into account what your records (on average) require!

Be well!
J.R.

Reactions: LMN and bazelio

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Great post, @J.R. Boisclair . Good point about stacked errors on beam style protractors. I use a level across the beam to eliminate that error, but that's only one dimension. Though my tonearm has a perfect divot atop it's pivot (lol), and you know when the spike has landed in it (or not). I do believe this method of a level beam and spike landing in a divot is giving me a more accurate result than the tonearm mounting jig ever was. Nevertheless, your general point is well taken.

Thanks for joining the forum and contributing educational material via your website and videos.

J.R. Boisclair

Jun 30, 2020
Careful of those bubble levels. I bought 100 of them thinking I'd be using them for Type I tonearms on the WallyReference. When I set up all 100 side-by-side with each other on a perfectly flat surface (levelness was not important) at least 1/3 were WAY off the "average". I threw those away and began turning each of the remaining levels on their length axis by 90 degrees and looking again. Threw away another 25%. Did it again and threw away another 15% or so. By the time I was done, I had a fraction of what I purchased that would "agree" with each other - and that was before checking whether they could measure levelness!

Reactions: LMN and mtemur

Vienna

VIP/Donor
That’s true the majority of the bubble levels are in need of calibration and there is a method for doing it.
Rainer has send me a bubble level as a gift which has the absolute accuracy

Reactions: Lagonda and dcc

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I've been using a Starrett with calibrated accuracy of 20 to 24 minutes.

Anyhow.... @J.R. Boisclair one area I've not found good info is regarding IEC vs DIN. Eg Lofgren B-IEC vs Lofgren B-DIN. I've been using the former somewhat blindly. Could you shed some light here? I suspect this is along the same lines as your modern vs old record curves for shifting the null points away from the spindle, but the details would be interesting.

J.R. Boisclair

Jun 30, 2020
I've been using a Starrett with calibrated accuracy of 20 to 24 minutes.

Anyhow.... @J.R. Boisclair one area I've not found good info is regarding IEC vs DIN. Eg Lofgren B-IEC vs Lofgren B-DIN. I've been using the former somewhat blindly. Could you shed some light here? I suspect this is along the same lines as your modern vs old record curves for shifting the null points away from the spindle, but the details would be interesting.
Sure! Our "New Record Collection" alignment arcs are NOT anything unique in that we are not reinventing the wheel by coming up with another equation to solve for angular error across the record. We developed it because the record industry has offered us an opportunity to reduce our tracing distortions while using the same Baerwald or Lofgren equations. The only difference is one variable: where the innermost modulated groove is. IEC standard says 60.325mm radius, DIN says 57mm (yuk!).

If you read these two blog posts (one is a video) HERE and HERE I think you'll learn a lot!

The short story is: aiming to decrease angular error at "the innermost groove" doesn't give you a statistically satisfactory result. As you will see, VERY few of your records will benefit from such an alignment in which the innermost grooves are favored AT THE EXPENSES of MOST of your records over ALL of their playing surface. Further, if you listen to mostly 45rpm, it is pretty much a non-issue. The greater linear groove velocity gives you significant reduction in phase error between channels even though you have the same angular error whether you play 33 or 45rpm.

If you want to get into the history, read HERE

Reactions: LMN

J.R. Boisclair

Jun 30, 2020
That’s true the majority of the bubble levels are in need of calibration and there is a method for doing it.
Rainer has send me a bubble level as a gift which has the absolute accuracy
That's good. Calibrated bubble levels are another deal altogether though they are pricey.

However, we often do NOT want to achieve level on the front/back (SRA) and left/right (azimuth) axis in order to achieve SRA and azimuth perfection. If you inspect your native SRA under a microscope you will come up with a number that you need to then plug in HERE in order to determine how much to adjust arm height. How can you use a bubble level to accurately get, say, 1.25 degrees off level? That is why I developed the WallyReference. Additionally, when you do change the tonearm height (front/back axis) you have just caused a change to the azimuth (left/right axis). The opposite is true in what I call "Type I" tonearms when you make a change to azimuth, you make a change to SRA (though not as severely as the other way around). So, what exact angle did you just create and what, then, is the requirement to compensate for the impact to the other parameter?

I put some helpful calculators HERE and HERE that I think are kind of fun.

Reactions: LMN

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing