Wardsweb Vintage Room

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Here is a pic of my vintage "catch all" room. Made for mixing, matching, build it up and tear it down kind of fun. It is a real plethora of audio: JBL, Altec, M&K, Carver, Krell, Pioneer, SAE, Yamaha, Teac, Mission, Parasound, Sumo, SST (spread spectrum technologies), Bottlehead and a lot of DIY. There is more in the garage and shed that I should just set up in this room. If for no other reason than to be able to look at it. Just things like Apogee Duetta Signatures are large and take up floor space.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Dedicated 2-channel (mainly vinyl) in the living room, 2-channel (main digital) in the dining room, home theater in the den, and vintage mix and match in the sun room (wife calls it the man room).

Hello my name is Luther and I'm an audioholic.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That is some display Luther! There are dealers around town who have less gear on display! Anyway, I'd love to see some close-up shots if you have pics handy!

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
That is some display Luther! There are dealers around town who have less gear on display! Anyway, I'd love to see some close-up shots if you have pics handy!

I agree! Take us on a trip down memory lane with a show and tell about each piece.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I'll get some pics and stories this weekend. I've spent my entire life into audio at many levels of buying, selling, trading, bartering, repair and building. Here is the room from a different angle. You can see the Danley sub that fires into the den.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
You are a true audiophile.

While I appreciate the name, I really don't take it or myself that serious. I prefer to think of myself as an audio enthusiast. Then again, I may just be in denial. LOL

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Yes, I've know Jim since before he had an SAE site. I met him when I flew out to Montebello to meet up with Morris Kessler about a decade ago. ATI is run out of the same warehouse that housed SAE. Morris had a huge closet of NOS SAE stuff he let me dig through. I shipped back a pallet of gear. That night Jim and I had dinner together. Well that is after he came to my rescue after I manage to miss a turn and get lost.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I sent Jim an invite to this forum last week after I posted a link to his site. He wrote back but don't think he joined.

Any idea why Morris/ATI is using one of the old Museatex logos?

http://www.museatex.de/en/index.html

Found more of your work, including a Bose 901 refoam.
http://www.homebuilthifi.com/

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Morris sold the SAE line back around 1990 to DAK. He purchased the name back about 10 years later. He now sells ATI gear badged as SAE in Europe.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Thanks for the link George - I just had a few of SAE gear in the past - including two parametric eqs - and always liked their sound, I remember mating them with a pair of Ohm speakers and a Nakamichi deck.... Jim´s collection of SAE products is just amazing!

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Spent some time today to fix an SAE A201 and SAE MK2200 amplifiers. Two more working systems now in the mix.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Here is the latest setup for my vintage room. The speakers are JBL C50 Olympus with custom CNC horns from 1" bubinga. I also added some JBL 2405 tweeters. With custom crossovers, this is a very sweet rig now.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
This is gonna be fun.....

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing