Weiss dac501 or Bartok for Vitus RI-101 mkII

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Recently bought a Vitus RI-101 mkII and after a couple of weeks of fine tuning with cables I’m enjoying it with my Avalon Idea.

I have a Holo Spring 3 KTE and looking to replacing with a better DAC.

key features required:
- natural sound, not analytical nor
- dynamic
- wide soundstage (providing a DAC can really impact on such a thing)

budget 10k new or used.

I have shortlisted the Weiss dac501 and the Bartok. Any Vitus users using them?
I’m also open to other DACs recommendations.

many thanks.

Last edited:

MasonGui

Jan 25, 2022
I think the MSB discreet or Lamp’s Atlantic fit most of your requirements.

Reactions: Ricco275

eskamobob1

Jan 7, 2022
Recently bought a Vitus RI-101 mkII and after a couple of weeks of fine tuning with cables I’m enjoying it with my Avalon Idea.

I have a Holo Spring 3 KTE and looking to replacing with a better DAC.

key features required:
- natural sound, not analytical nor
- dynamic
- wide soundstage (providing a DAC can really impact on such a thing)

I have shortlisted the Weiss dac501 and the Bartok. Any Vitus users using them?
I’m also open to other DACs recommendations.

many thanks.
I cant comment on bartok (though I havent exactly heard great things about the non-apex tbh), but the wise has a bit of a smaller (hyper accurate) stage and does lean a little more analytical IMO. honestly, there are a lot of dacs that could fit the bill here depending on what exactly you are after. Dave, Totaldac (Unity if new, maybe 6 or 7 if used), and Rockna WD Sig would all be on my personal list for a not analytical, highly dyanmic sound with big stage but each has their own tradeoffs. SW1X may be up your alley as well from what I have read, but I havent heard any of their dacs yet myself.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
I think the MSB discreet or Lamp’s Atlantic fit most of your requirements.
MBS discrete should be good on paper. Need to audition it. Yesterday I have been very disappointed by the Meitner MA1. Those reviews pump up products in a way that is so easy to get unrealistic expectations.

MasonGui

Jan 25, 2022
MBS discrete should be good on paper. Need to audition it. Yesterday I have been very disappointed by the Meitner MA1. Those reviews pump up products in a way that is so easy to get unrealistic expectations.
Yep give it a try?I had discrete about 1yr really like it. I would say discrete with second power supply will have about 80-90% performance of the MSB ref. When I upgraded to ref i did a little comparison on my syste.

eskamobob1

Jan 7, 2022

I honestly found the ma3 and dac2xV2 (both significantly cheaper used than the other stuff you are looking at) a pretty substantial step above the ma1 v1 Fwiw. Ma3 is one that slipped my mind but could also fit your preference depending on what exactly you didn't like about the.ma1

eskamobob1

Jan 7, 2022
Also, I just realized you don't mention your digital front end at all. What are you using/do you need one? It will play a fairly large role in this range.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
I honestly found the ma3 and dac2xV2 (both significantly cheaper used than the other stuff you are looking at) a pretty substantial step above the ma1 v1 Fwiw. Ma3 is one that slipped my mind but could also fit your preference depending on what exactly you didn't like about the.ma1
The MA1 was not engaging and not open enough for my taste. I’ll try to audition the MA3.

eskamobob1

Jan 7, 2022
The MA1 was not engaging and not open enough for my taste. I’ll try to audition the MA3.
Depeding on what you mean by engagement the ma3 may not do it for you either. It's a bit laid back with simply some of the best liquidity I've ever heard. Stage is on the larger size but not necessarily hyper accurate or seperated like the spring 3. If you realy want just raw incision and big stage, Dave isn't a bad call (though not worth new pricing)

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Depeding on what you mean by engagement the ma3 may not do it for you either. It's a bit laid back with simply some of the best liquidity I've ever heard. Stage is on the larger size but not necessarily hyper accurate or seperated like the spring 3. If you realy want just raw incision and big stage, Dave isn't a bad call (though not worth new pricing)
Perhaps MSB discrete.

Reactions: eskamobob1

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Also, I just realized you don't mention your digital front end at all. What are you using/do you need one? It will play a fairly large role in this range.
Just Nucleus as a Roon core and MacBook as remote. No dedicated streamer.

eskamobob1

Jan 7, 2022
Just Nucleus as a Roon core and MacBook as remote. No dedicated streamer.
I would personally try and move to a network connection to your chain and not a USB one if possible. Honestly, it's simply been the better option Sq wise every time I've tried it. With a lot of these options they have a built in streamer or an option for one so you should be good there. For the ones that don't, even a simple holo red is actualy realy good performance and worth a shot (since it will be easy to sell for minimal loss if you decide to stick with running off the rock)

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
I would personally try and move to a network connection to your chain and not a USB one if possible. Honestly, it's simply been the better option Sq wise every time I've tried it. With a lot of these options they have a built in streamer or an option for one so you should be good there. For the ones that don't, even a simple holo red is actualy realy good performance and worth a shot (since it will be easy to sell for minimal loss if you decide to stick with running off the rock)
In fact I have bought a red with farad super3 PSU and used as DDC with Rock nuc i7 and I wasn’t impressed. I have sold it after one week. Which streamer would you recommend without going to up the ladder with the Grimm? And exactly which type of connection? The Rock nuc i7 is connected via Ethernet cable to the network and to the dac via usb.

eskamobob1

Jan 7, 2022
Something to keep in mind is that the spring 3 KTE and all of the versions of may are basicaly the most source imune dacs made. On them, basicaly nothing I did with upstream gear made any difference tbh. With basicaly everything else it has mattered though.

Above red you have several options such as an ultra rederu stack, antipodes s stack (obviously you don't need the server part), auralic G2.1, or the Totaldac d1-streamer-mk2. I'm sure there are a great deal more options than that as well (all should be well sub 5k used). Honestly though, it seems like most the dacs you are looking at have built in streamers so I would just use those if you go that direction.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Something to keep in mind is that the spring 3 KTE and all of the versions of may are basicaly the most source imune dacs made. On them, basicaly nothing I did with upstream gear made any difference tbh. With basicaly everything else it has mattered though.

Above red you have several options such as an ultra rederu stack, antipodes s stack (obviously you don't need the server part), auralic G2.1, or the Totaldac d1-streamer-mk2. I'm sure there are a great deal more options than that as well (all should be well sub 5k used). Honestly though, it seems like most the dacs you are looking at have built in streamers so I would just use those if you go that direction.
Perhaps msb discrete with the renderer module to stream could do. Otherwise I was considering Lumin (dac and streamer) or Innuos as streamer only. I have understood Weiss is not for me as too cold and narrow staged.

sajihassan

Feb 8, 2021
The MSB discreet I tried with my Aries Cerat Genus amplifier was very smooth and natural sounding but it lacked the 3d effect I was getting with the Aries Cerat Helene dac. But Helene is bright when compared to MSB discreet. I also have the Holo spring KTE which is having a flat soundstage compared with helene but smooth not as MSB.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
The Aries Cerat Helena sounds bright? I've read numerous descriptions of the Helena and other various Aries Cerat components. This is the first-time bright has been used. I am not questioning this observation. You have to report what you personally hear in your own audio system.
Charles

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
When compared to msb discrete the aries cerat helene is bright. For further clarification you can contact Stavros. He is aware about this.
Hi
Helene is far from bright by any means.
You mentioned that you used xlr output with pseudobalanced input of Genus.Helene xlr being floating output is incompatible with pseudobalanced(Genus xlr input is pseudobalanced) as this creates high pass filter which you will get tilting freq responce which is audible from first seconds.Strange that you were hearing with this connection for days(floating xlr into pseudobalanced ....
Rca connection only when no true xlr input is present.This is what i adviced,not that Helene is bright

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing