Westminster Lab Equipment Makes My Bucket List System My Audio Bliss System

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
My Bucket List System has had an unplanned mega enhancement by the addition of a Westminster Lab Quest preamp and a pair of Westminster Lab REI monoblocs when all was supposed to already be in place. I also have the Westminster Lab phono card but due to some ongoing problems in my analog arm, I have not yet heard it.

It is hard for me to explain my thoughts and assessment of this last minute unexpected system change because I am still grappling with an equally, if not bigger change in my overall life due to my life threatening medical problems during the past year.

What initially seemed like a major problem to me because having to move into an assisted living facility for medical reasons meant that my projected audio future for my newly assembled Bucket List System was going to have to change massively, for both financial and almost guaranteed environmental reasons. Also, it meant my medical problems were progressing, which would be bad on all fronts.

As I was thinking about whether or not to move into a facility and being aggressively being pushed by one camp to move into a facility and get ready to die, or what made more sense to me and a number of my friends was trying to obtain my medical care at home and see how that worked out. I felt it would be the ultimate assessment of where I really was in life, especially since I live alone. Also, my home is nicer than a facility room and I also had my system and my boat, my other mind distracting toy there to help me cope with whatever is coming. Besides, those facilities are everywhere so I could easily move into one if it turned out that I needed that level of care.

I was surprised by the split of the people involved with my future because they were divided into two very different two camps, but it did force me to consider some things that I probably would not have thought about had I not gotten sick. I concluded that I wanted to enjoy the two biggest toys I have ever had, my system and my boat in my backyard, for as long as I could in hopes that at worst it would help me feel better as my medical condition progressed, and for sure would be a real bonus if I was doing okay. It was also cheaper and better having a house with many familiar aspects, than paying monthly facility fees (about $10k), and likely pissing the other residents off with my music.

I knew that this was the right choice for me in this most difficult and emotionally challenging decision of my life. It seriously stressed some of my relations with those in the pro-facility camp, but I knew I had to do what was right for me, and that was reach for a best case scenario and adjust as reality unfolded. Luckily, most are agreeing that it was a good call on my part with impressive results thus far.

So as anyone who has rationalized a purchase because they really wanted it, and not because it made sense, I decided to continue to pursue that last step on my path to audio bliss if I could afford it and thus increase my daily joy, regardless of what the future brings. As I have written already on WBF, I think the Westminster Lab equipment is perfect for my very weird circumstances. What I did not expect is how the Westminster Lab equipment would alter how I listen to music and even more important was the impact on me emotionally by listening to music when played with the Westminster Lab equipment at the core of my system.

I realized almost immediately with my first exposure to Westminster Lab products, that there was something very different to their product offerings, and that it excelled in areas that have been very important to me as I built systems over the years. I knew that doing anything possible to reduce distortion and lower the noise floor are design concepts I find fundamentally very important and desirable. I also have decided that the speed of the signal processing and responsiveness are also very important to me, meaning I would have to move away from product designs that have a more lush sound, as is frequently the case with many of the best tube products, as well as many solid state products.

Each of the Westminster Lab products have the same sonic signature of a remarkably black noise floor, that makes each component of the signal sound as if it is suspended in totally black space. I feel that this consistency is proof of Angus’s design capabilities, and helps me realize that almost nothing else is capable of matching the Westminster Lab equipment’s signal processing. The rise and decay times are so fast that you forget that you are listening to a simulation. The net result is that the believability of the sonics when using this equipment, reaches new levels that I have not experienced previously.

So let me apologize in advance for this typically atypical Russ post. I am a psychiatrist by trade with tons of clinical experience because I am driven to understand why people do what they do. I have concluded and validated via diverse clinical observations from my more than 40 years working in the human behavior aspects of many different scenarios that there are some basic commonalities to how humans function.

At the core of my thoughts in this area is that what one is actively thinking about becomes their reality at that point in time. The more they obsess about a thought, the greater the emotional impact and related energy drain. Since obsessional thinking is a common consequence of our hectic lifestyle, it is important to have diversions to help us reduce reflex obsessional thinking, and thus promote a calmer state of being. Said another way, listen to music through a good realistic system is very good for one’s overall being.

On some gut level when I first realized my love of music and emerging hobby of being an audio fan was driven by my personal need to get out of my head, especially as I aged and my obsessing progressively drove me to become a workaholic servicing my 426 patients who came seeking my psychiatric and addiction medicine services at least once a month.

So insidiously, my core needs from my system du jour were to help me get out of my head ASAP. In fact, what I dreamed of as my ultimate audio goal was to have the best system I could create and afford in my living room so I could happily sit and listen to music as long as I wanted and as loud as I wanted to help me get out of my head. I envisioned this as audio nirvana for a single guy. I projected that having this scenario would be a true pleasure on a sonic front, and a definite trophy that showed me that I achieved one of my lifelong goals and had a ball along the way. I speculated that this equipment and living scenario would help improve my emotional state, especially if my medical problems continued to progress. Of course, I believed and hoped that it would also help me feel better overall. The reality is that it has become one of the most important tools for my overall healing on a medical front. I would be in a much less good place if I did not have this system with the Westminster Lab equipment at its core.

Like most of you on this site, I use music and my lifelong pursuit of the truest and most believable sound system I can create as a way to clear my mind while enjoying my favorite hobby. I truly believed or at least rationalized that the addition of the Westminster Lab products to the core of my system would convert it to my sought after wonder system that would probably produce audio bliss whenever I desired, AKA My Bucket List System.

Well, it turned out that the combination of the amazingly low noise floor and the speed of the signal rises and decays and Angus’s Westminster Lab circuit designs produced so much believability that a major byproduct was ejecting less than necessary thoughts from my mind when sitting in the sonic beam because the sonic display was so much more captivating, leaving me with a much better mind state and thus a much improved mood.

There is one potential downside - it is so captivating that it is very easy to sit and listen for hours on a daily basis. Previously, this is something I only projected, but rarely had time to do, rather than my current retired approach of using my system for both listening to music, and producing endless personal “you are there” experiences, because of the believability of the sonic presentation and more than sufficient power to demand your attention within seconds of sitting in the sonic beam. By the way, I actively use the system to help shift my thinking when I am having a bad day, making me a much happier person to be around and even more important to have more joy at my core.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
My Bucket List System has had an unplanned mega enhancement by the addition of a Westminster Lab Quest preamp and a pair of Westminster Lab REI monoblocs when all was supposed to already be in place. I also have the Westminster Lab phono card but due to some ongoing problems in my analog arm, I have not yet heard it.

It is hard for me to explain my thoughts and assessment of this last minute unexpected system change because I am still grappling with an equally, if not bigger change in my overall life due to my life threatening medical problems during the past year.

What initially seemed like a major problem to me because having to move into an assisted living facility for medical reasons meant that my projected audio future for my newly assembled Bucket List System was going to have to change massively, for both financial and almost guaranteed environmental reasons. Also, it meant my medical problems were progressing, which would be bad on all fronts.

As I was thinking about whether or not to move into a facility and being aggressively being pushed by one camp to move into a facility and get ready to die, or what made more sense to me and a number of my friends was trying to obtain my medical care at home and see how that worked out. I felt it would be the ultimate assessment of where I really was in life, especially since I live alone. Also, my home is nicer than a facility room and I also had my system and my boat, my other mind distracting toy there to help me cope with whatever is coming. Besides, those facilities are everywhere so I could easily move into one if it turned out that I needed that level of care.

I was surprised by the split of the people involved with my future because they were divided into two very different two camps, but it did force me to consider some things that I probably would not have thought about had I not gotten sick. I concluded that I wanted to enjoy the two biggest toys I have ever had, my system and my boat in my backyard, for as long as I could in hopes that at worst it would help me feel better as my medical condition progressed, and for sure would be a real bonus if I was doing okay. It was also cheaper and better having a house with many familiar aspects, than paying monthly facility fees (about $10k), and likely pissing the other residents off with my music.

I knew that this was the right choice for me in this most difficult and emotionally challenging decision of my life. It seriously stressed some of my relations with those in the pro-facility camp, but I knew I had to do what was right for me, and that was reach for a best case scenario and adjust as reality unfolded. Luckily, most are agreeing that it was a good call on my part with impressive results thus far.

So as anyone who has rationalized a purchase because they really wanted it, and not because it made sense, I decided to continue to pursue that last step on my path to audio bliss if I could afford it and thus increase my daily joy, regardless of what the future brings. As I have written already on WBF, I think the Westminster Lab equipment is perfect for my very weird circumstances. What I did not expect is how the Westminster Lab equipment would alter how I listen to music and even more important was the impact on me emotionally by listening to music when played with the Westminster Lab equipment at the core of my system.

I realized almost immediately with my first exposure to Westminster Lab products, that there was something very different to their product offerings, and that it excelled in areas that have been very important to me as I built systems over the years. I knew that doing anything possible to reduce distortion and lower the noise floor are design concepts I find fundamentally very important and desirable. I also have decided that the speed of the signal processing and responsiveness are also very important to me, meaning I would have to move away from product designs that have a more lush sound, as is frequently the case with many of the best tube products, as well as many solid state products.

Each of the Westminster Lab products have the same sonic signature of a remarkably black noise floor, that makes each component of the signal sound as if it is suspended in totally black space. I feel that this consistency is proof of Angus’s design capabilities, and helps me realize that almost nothing else is capable of matching the Westminster Lab equipment’s signal processing. The rise and decay times are so fast that you forget that you are listening to a simulation. The net result is that the believability of the sonics when using this equipment, reaches new levels that I have not experienced previously.

So let me apologize in advance for this typically atypical Russ post. I am a psychiatrist by trade with tons of clinical experience because I am driven to understand why people do what they do. I have concluded and validated via diverse clinical observations from my more than 40 years working in the human behavior aspects of many different scenarios that there are some basic commonalities to how humans function.

At the core of my thoughts in this area is that what one is actively thinking about becomes their reality at that point in time. The more they obsess about a thought, the greater the emotional impact and related energy drain. Since obsessional thinking is a common consequence of our hectic lifestyle, it is important to have diversions to help us reduce reflex obsessional thinking, and thus promote a calmer state of being. Said another way, listen to music through a good realistic system is very good for one’s overall being.

On some gut level when I first realized my love of music and emerging hobby of being an audio fan was driven by my personal need to get out of my head, especially as I aged and my obsessing progressively drove me to become a workaholic servicing my 426 patients who came seeking my psychiatric and addiction medicine services at least once a month.

So insidiously, my core needs from my system du jour were to help me get out of my head ASAP. In fact, what I dreamed of as my ultimate audio goal was to have the best system I could create and afford in my living room so I could happily sit and listen to music as long as I wanted and as loud as I wanted to help me get out of my head. I envisioned this as audio nirvana for a single guy. I projected that having this scenario would be a true pleasure on a sonic front, and a definite trophy that showed me that I achieved one of my lifelong goals and had a ball along the way. I speculated that this equipment and living scenario would help improve my emotional state, especially if my medical problems continued to progress. Of course, I believed and hoped that it would also help me feel better overall. The reality is that it has become one of the most important tools for my overall healing on a medical front. I would be in a much less good place if I did not have this system with the Westminster Lab equipment at its core.

Like most of you on this site, I use music and my lifelong pursuit of the truest and most believable sound system I can create as a way to clear my mind while enjoying my favorite hobby. I truly believed or at least rationalized that the addition of the Westminster Lab products to the core of my system would convert it to my sought after wonder system that would probably produce audio bliss whenever I desired, AKA My Bucket List System.

Well, it turned out that the combination of the amazingly low noise floor and the speed of the signal rises and decays and Angus’s Westminster Lab circuit designs produced so much believability that a major byproduct was ejecting less than necessary thoughts from my mind when sitting in the sonic beam because the sonic display was so much more captivating, leaving me with a much better mind state and thus a much improved mood.

There is one potential downside - it is so captivating that it is very easy to sit and listen for hours on a daily basis. Previously, this is something I only projected, but rarely had time to do, rather than my current retired approach of using my system for both listening to music, and producing endless personal “you are there” experiences, because of the believability of the sonic presentation and more than sufficient power to demand your attention within seconds of sitting in the sonic beam. By the way, I actively use the system to help shift my thinking when I am having a bad day, making me a much happier person to be around and even more important to have more joy at my core.
Hi Mobiusman,
Have you got the Westminster Lab pre+monoblocks?
Any update?

I visited the listening room of Angus, designer&boss of Westminster Lab yesterday.
:D

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
Hi,
I sat next to you at wonderful evening Fred and company put together at Axpona. My name is Steven. It was a pleasure hearing your excitement and enthusiasm as you spoke of your wonderful stereo system and boat. I believe the Westminster electronics in your system has really brought joy and purpose to your life.

i had to face a similar dilemma as i cared for my parents as they redied themselves for their last journey. I kept them at their beloved home to the end. As my mom endured Alzheimer’s and my father battled Parkinson’s for about 13 years. Their care took most of my time and my best efforts. Coming home to my own home and my stereo system that features a Lampi DAC and other characters was the highlight of each week. Their care was heartbreaking work yet I would do everything exactly the same if I had to do it over again

You made the right choice by staying in your home. I believe being surrounded by the things and people you love are a great comfort as we age. I believe you made the correct choice in staying in your home. I hope you get to enjoy your stereo and boat as long as you can.

if you don’t have one purchase an iWatch as it will call 911 if you fall and you can easily call for help.

It was a very fun night that Fred and Rob put together.
Keep listening!
Steven

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Hey Russ, thanks for the great description of your audio journey and landing on your bucket list piece(s). Can I ask what your speakers are and the rest of your electronics? Are you listening to mostly analog or digital or a mix and what is the size of your listening room?

The Westminister Labs amp and preamp is something I would love to hear in the future and a possible upgrade path as I also highly value a black background and that transportation of music realism.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Von Scweikert ultra-9,
I have not heard the Westminster. if it is better than vac...

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Oh sorry I meant to ask Mobiusman but Ultra-9s are impressive! It would be interesting to hear your opinion of the Westminister with the 9's.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Hi Mobiusman,
Have you got the Westminster Lab pre+monoblocks?
Any update?

I visited the listening room of Angus, designer&boss of Westminster Lab yesterday.
:D
CKKeung,

Isn't the umbilical upgrade on the MSB amazing. I was not at all ready for what I got. It also led me to audition and buy the REI's and then the Quest and most recently the Westminster phono stage for the quest. While I thought I was done with my electronics having all VAC including a pair of 452's, which was excellent, but yet had that VAC and AB tube amp sound, that I felt was a tolerable, yet pleasant coloration.

When I heard the Westminster Lab REI's in my system, I heard a totally different system because of the absolutely fastest rise and decay times I have heard, as well as the blackest noise floor I have heard. I also heard elements of the class A design, that I love, but no heat.. While still liking the VAC equipment, I concluded that I preferred the sound of the Westminster Lab sound. That led me to substitute the Westminster Quest for my VAC preamp, which further improved the sound, in my opinion, unfortunately by removing some residual of the VAC sound.

My most recent change on the Westminster front happened a couple of weeks ago when I added the Westminster phono card to enable my new ARS MACHINAE TT with a My Sonic Lab Signature Platinum cartridge. As Angus promised, it brought the same sonic signature to my revitalized analog sound. As I was hoping for, I heard the analog in a new and IMHO the best analog I have heard in any system regardless of price. It clearly exceeded my former Lamm phono stage, which was my former favorite phono stage, as well as several ARC phono stages I have owned as well as a Balanced Audio phono stage that was wonderful but a bit dark.

Unfortunately Customs has hit me hard lately with two damaged audio pieces arriving after being inspected. My TT had a damaged tone bearing, but still plays well, but not optimally. Also, my Taiko switch arrived yesterday, but customs forgot to put the USB card and cable back into the box. I expect remedying these two problems will further demonstrate the amazing sonic potential of the Westminster Lab pieces. I also inserted a Lampizator Horizon, which was becoming more amazing by the day, until Roon, did one of it thins and now refuses to start up.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Von Scweikert ultra-9,
I have not heard the Westminster. if it is better than vac...
As someone who has owned both, it is totally different and for where my hearing preferences are currently, I prefer it to the VAC. The VAC equipment is different and still a wonderful option, but for me the believability of the Westminster is what I am looking for.

Last edited:
Reactions: lscangus

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
When I heard the Westminster Lab REI's in my system, I heard a totally different system because of the absolutely fastest rise and decay times I have heard, as well as the blackest noise floor I have heard. I also heard elements of the class A design, that I love, but no heat.. While still liking the VAC equipment, I concluded that I preferred the sound of the Westminster Lab sound. That led me to substitute the Westminster Quest for my VAC preamp, which further improved the sound, in my opinion, unfortunately by removing some residual of the VAC sound.

My most recent change on the Westminster front happened a couple of weeks ago when I added the Westminster phono card to enable my new ARS MACHINAE TT with a My Sonic Lab Signature Platinum cartridge. As Angus promised, it brought the same sonic signature to my revitalized analog sound. As I was hoping for, I heard the analog in a new and IMHO the best analog I have heard in any system regardless of price. It clearly exceeded my former Lamm phono stage, which was my former favorite phono stage, as well as several ARC phono stages I have owned as well as a Balanced Audio phono stage that was wonderful but a bit dark.
Congratulations, Westminster Labs seems to have kicked some Big Brand electronics into touch :) Is there a Westminster Labs DAC in the pipe line ?

Last edited:

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Oh sorry I meant to ask Mobiusman but Ultra-9s are impressive! It would be interesting to hear your opinion of the Westminister with the 9's.
I have yet to post my latest system impressions after my recent upgrades, but will very soon.. On the speaker front, my Ultra 9's are modified, with the skirt and sound casters removed, a new reverse angled plinth with 4 CMS LS 1.5 footers attached directly to the 9's cabinet. BTW, this change was so big that if I had not been present to observe the transition, I would not have been able to identify them as Ultra 9's

Last edited:

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Congratulations, Westminster Labs seems to have kicked some Big Brand electronics into touch :) Is there a Westminster Labs DAC in the pipe line ?
Argonaut. Thanks for the question. At present we just completed two different phono card modules. No plans for a DAC at present but it would be a cool card for us to have in the future.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Nuprin,

Thank you for your kind words. I love the Ultra 9's even more than the Ultra 11's, although I think that the Ultra 7's may sound a bit better due to the superior ribbon tweeter, although the 9's have a more forceful and impressive sound stage.

When I owned VAC electronics I used to regularly say to Damon and Leif that "the 9's and the 452's love each other" for two reasons, the sonics and the extra power I had when I upgraded from a VAC IQ450S, Well let me upgrade my statement about the Westminster Labs equipment and its replacing my VAC electronics. I can say with zero hesitation the Ultra 9's are even happier with the Westminster equipment than the VAC equipment.

This is somewhat surprising for me because the REI's are merely 100 watts into 8 ohms and 200 watts into 4 ohms, which is the impedance of the 9"s. Yet the Westie's drive the 9's much better than the 452's with regard to power, to the point that I do not need a second pair of REI's. Also the sonic signature is the most believable sound I have ever heard, and has the best bass I have ever heard period on any system. Granted I have a pair of JL F113'a out of phase in my rear corners.

And, as I stated above, the Westminster Lab equipment, especially with the phono card is a total analog game changer.

I live halfway between NYC and Philly, and if you are ever in this neck of the woods, feel free to stop by and listen for yourself. It is instantly apparent. Also if you have any questions on this front, I will absolutely do my best to answer them

I will finish by saying, even though my final bucket list post is coming very soon, The Westminster Lab equipment totally changed how I listen to music, especially analog, and for me the Horizon, ARS Machinae TT and the Westminster phono card are the final cherries on my bucket list system, hopefully bring this amazing lifelong project to an end so I can spend more time listening and enjoying.

As proof of my commitment to the above statement, I have sworn that I will not attend another audio show with the exception of going to Munich next year to just see it, because I have so exceeded what I was looking for on the audio front that there is no reason to continue to look for what is next as a form of improvement..

I will get my final bucket list system post out probably over the weekend.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The audiophiles' mantra-this my final...
Attack and decay is my thing also. Two examples are: an open guitar string or piano. When you pluck that note or drop that hammer. Then after it resonates, close it. If you wanted that in tyubes Atma-sphere can do it. I admit thats probably not the best choice for the 9.
It's not to worry. VAC has many suitors and this is probably not the first time she has been jilted.
I recall trying to convince my dear departed mother that it was not a nursing home just assisted living. She was not buying it. I hope you enjoy yours.

Reactions: Pokey77 and gleeds

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Mobiusman,

Thanks for answering my questions and happy to hear your that are nearing the end of your audiophile journey. I think for me and possibly others, it's not that "there's always something better" but we are searching for the moment (much like a relationship) where we go: "Ah, this is what I've been after and I'm finally ready to settle down". My system is highly enjoyable, but there's still the feeling of something lacking or not perfect out of what I'm hearing. I think once I hear it(the right sound), I'll know it.

I appreciate the generous offer to hear your system. On the rare occasion that I do get a chance to get away from work and make a trip to NYC with the family for a visit, I will certainly try to take you up on the offer.

Would love to see pictures of your setup if you're able to share with us!

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
CKKeung,

Isn't the umbilical upgrade on the MSB amazing. I was not at all ready for what I got. It also led me to audition and buy the REI's and then the Quest and most recently the Westminster phono stage for the quest. While I thought I was done with my electronics having all VAC including a pair of 452's, which was excellent, but yet had that VAC and AB tube amp sound, that I felt was a tolerable, yet pleasant coloration.

Unfortunately Customs has hit me hard lately with two damaged audio pieces arriving after being inspected. My TT had a damaged tone bearing, but still plays well, but not optimally. Also, my Taiko switch arrived yesterday, but customs forgot to put the USB card and cable back into the box. I expect remedying these two problems will further demonstrate the amazing sonic potential of the Westminster Lab pieces. I also inserted a Lampizator Horizon, which was becoming more amazing by the day, until Roon, did one of it thins and now refuses to start up.
Hi Russ! Great to hear that you are enjoying our phono card and our approach to vinyl reproduction. The card needs 50-100 hours to break in and I am excited to hear your final verdict on it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing