WestminsterLab Rei - Class A Amplifier

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
Question for Angus or Gary: I just read this article and it certainly confirms what you fellows have been telling me about bridging the REIs. But why not simply offer a new version of the REI with double the power? Economy of scale with same sonic improvement?
?????Miyata ???????????????????????

????????????????????????????????????????????

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
?????????????????

per Google, sorry, I don’t speak Japanese
Yes but a Google Translate extension added to your browser will enable you to read the entire review and get most of the gist, . Certain idioms will get lost in translation.

Reactions: CDC77

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
And yes with all that, not only a stereo amplifier, but an integrated one as well. It all boils down to design philosophy and the degree to which integrity may or may not be compromised.

Reactions: lscangus

CDC77

May 26, 2021
Chicago
www.cdcaruso.com
And yes with all that, not only a stereo amplifier, but an integrated one as well. It all boils down to design philosophy and the degree to which integrity may or may not be compromised.
Well, I am willing to admit that of all members of this forum, I might be the least informed from a technical point of view. That being said, I understand integrating two functions, such as preamp and amp, to achieve efficiency but at a potential loss of quality. Or creating a stereo amp instead of two mono’s, again an efficiency with possible loss of quality. Bridging seems different than these examples, but at this point, I will defer to the pro’s.

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
Question for Angus or Gary: I just read this article and it certainly confirms what you fellows have been telling me about bridging the REIs. But why not simply offer a new version of the REI with double the power? Economy of scale with same sonic improvement?
Technically speaking, we can put two internals of the Rei into a bigger box ( like many other manufacturers do ). But we think it will be so much more fun and easier for customer to upgrade if they can just buy an extra pair for bridging, and it offers the flexibility in the future for them to scale up or down depending on the speakers or listening environment they have for the future. Plus, is easier to pass onto somebody with two pair of little amps than one pair of bigger more expensive amp.

If we are going to build a bigger amplifier, we will start from the ground up and it will be on a different level interns of sonics. More power may not be our priority as not a lot of speakers need that power.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDC77

CDC77

May 26, 2021
Chicago
www.cdcaruso.com
Technically speaking, we can put two internals of the Rei into a bigger box ( like many other manufacturers do ). But we think it will be so much more fun and easier for customer to upgrade if they can just buy an extra pair for bridging, and it offers the flexibility in the future for them to scale up or down depending on the speakers or listening environment they have for the future. Plus, is easier to pass onto somebody with two pair of little amps than one pair of bigger more expensive amp.

If we are going to build a bigger amplifier, we will start from the ground up and it will be on a different level interns of sonics. More power may not be our priority as not a lot of speakers need that power.
Thanks for clarifying

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing