What Can Audiophiles Learn from Rick Rubin? "I am listening to the feeling."

caesar

May 30, 2010
I find that so many audiophiles are trained by the "gurus" and "experts" in this hobby to listen to sounds. Sit down to listen with many "experienced" guys, and they are listening analytically.

So many guys, who have spent tens of thousands of dollars on their systems, are fidgeting, thinking of what to swap in or out and what to upgrade ... instead of tapping into the feeling of the music.

For those who are interested in the latter, this interview with Rick Rubin is very enlightening

I also recommend Rick Rubin's best selling book called The Creative Act: A Way of Being

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I find that so many audiophiles are trained by the "gurus" and "experts" in this hobby to listen to sounds. Sit down to listen with many "experienced" guys, and they are listening analytically.

So many guys, who have spent tens of thousands of dollars on their systems, are fidgeting, thinking of what to swap in or out and what to upgrade ... instead of tapping into the feeling of the music.

For those who are interested in the latter, this interview with Rick Rubin is very enlightening

I also recommend Rick Rubin's best selling book called The Creative Act: A Way of Being

Why do you assume, that an audiophile doesn’t go with the feeling of music? Many gurus talk about and do setup with a goal of musical engagement.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Sometimes the words don’t come out just right, they don’t cover all of what we are experiencing. We try to define what it is in simple familiar terms, often audiophile speak. I agree with both RR and Caesar if I understand correctly. For me it is all about tonality and pace, and an expression that is true and intimate to the artist being captured. Yeah, there is a lot of science, and weeding through the pseudoscience. A lot of focus on the gears and setups in this community. And all that has some value and a place in this. I think what Caesar is expressing is a frustration with listening sessions where people simply aren’t listening. They are in their analytical minds, and somewhere else. They are not in the moment, with the music. And RR conveys the importance of being HERE NOW and listening. And his success seems to prove his point. I get it.

PS: great book

Reactions: caesar

caesar

May 30, 2010
Sometimes the words don’t come out just right, they don’t cover all of what we are experiencing. We try to define what it is in simple familiar terms, often audiophile speak. I agree with both RR and Caesar if I understand correctly. For me it is all about tonality and pace, and an expression that is true and intimate to the artist being captured. Yeah, there is a lot of science, and weeding through the pseudoscience. A lot of focus on the gears and setups in this community. And all that has some value and a place in this. I think what Caesar is expressing is a frustration with listening sessions where people simply aren’t listening. They are in their analytical minds, and somewhere else. They are not in the moment, with the music. And RR conveys the importance of being HERE NOW and listening. And his success seems to prove his point. I get it.

PS: great book

Excellent post. The audiophile language that has been invented and is prevalent is about all about analyzing the sound.

Mcsnare

Apr 1, 2022
www.instagram.com
This is a subject that is near and dear to me.
I used to think my brain was ruined for the enjoyment of listening. 45 years of professional music production will do that to ya. I know only a handful of other engineers who I would call audiophiles who listen to music at home like I do. Many don't listen to music outside of the studio at all.
Getting a turntable and buying records is what changed that for me. And then later, an awareness to begin training my mind to listen in different modes: analytical and "holistically".
It's easier in some ways for producers (like RR) to escape the analytical listening habits cultivated by engineers. Producers are hired to hear the big picture. Some great mix engineers have a natural ability to shift back and forth for a wider perspective. I think it makes for more emotionally impactful recordings.
When I put a modest system together centered around vinyl about 7 years ago, I started loving just listening to music again. Then, when I was approached about writing and ended up reviewing hifi components, I zigged right back into my professional analytical mode.
It's been a bit of a journey in returning to how I loved hearing music as a kid. It's a primary reason I don't love listening to digital at home. It's too easy for me to critique the engineering of the recording and my playback system. I remain jealous still of the many audiophiles who get a strong emotional response from just the music as opposed to listening to the system. I'm getting there more and more these days.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
This is a subject that is near and dear to me.
I used to think my brain was ruined for the enjoyment of listening. 45 years of professional music production will do that to ya. I know only a handful of other engineers who I would call audiophiles who listen to music at home like I do. Many don't listen to music outside of the studio at all.
Getting a turntable and buying records is what changed that for me. And then later, an awareness to begin training my mind to listen in different modes: analytical and "holistically".
It's easier in some ways for producers (like RR) to escape the analytical listening habits cultivated by engineers. Producers are hired to hear the big picture. Some great mix engineers have a natural ability to shift back and forth for a wider perspective. I think it makes for more emotionally impactful recordings.
When I put a modest system together centered around vinyl about 7 years ago, I started loving just listening to music again. Then, when I was approached about writing and ended up reviewing hifi components, I zigged right back into my professional analytical mode.
It's been a bit of a journey in returning to how I loved hearing music as a kid. It's a primary reason I don't love listening to digital at home. It's too easy for me to critique the engineering of the recording and my playback system. I remain jealous still of the many audiophiles who get a strong emotional response from just the music as opposed to listening to the system. I'm getting there more and more these days.

Interesting. I get a strong emotional response from music via digital, even though I also love vinyl in friends' systems. For multiple reasons that I have listed on this forum in the past I will, however, never have a vinyl rig myself.

Mcsnare

Apr 1, 2022
www.instagram.com
Interesting. I get a strong emotional response from music via digital, even though I also love vinyl in friends' systems. For multiple reasons that I have listed on this forum in the past I will, however, never have a vinyl rig myself.
I’m in no way implying vinyl is the only way to feel emotion from music listening. It’s just that for me, it’s too easy to listen very analytically when I’m hearing digital.

Reactions: Lee and Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I’m in no way implying vinyl is the only way to feel emotion from music listening. It’s just that for me, it’s too easy to listen very analytically when I’m hearing digital.

Yes, that's how I perceived your post. I just wanted to add my own perspective.

Reactions: Lee and Mcsnare

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing