What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
-- You guys know Michael Fremer?

Who is going to replace him, take over, when he's gone, twenty to thirty years from now?

Where will we read and learn on $150,000+ turntables (without tonearm and cartridge and motor),
and on $25,000+ cartridges cut-made by some Japanese king guru of the Himalayas? :b

Did I miss something?

tb1

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
'Course that's like asking who will ever replace The Mick. Time has shown others step up to the plate. Been many great CFs since.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Maybe I do prefer intimacy over sonics ... I don't know, nor do I care ... I've always figured the two were very much related.

I remember when people told me that SACD would surpass the "sonics" of my CDP, while competing favorably with my TT. Even the reviewers claimed that this SACD player (Sony sa777es) was a "game changer" ... and yet ... just the opposite happened during the many showdowns within not only my system, but a variety of other audiophile systems and digital components.

SACD replay improved well past those original and very much over-hyped and overrated Sony's ... yet it never did get a foothold within my immediate area, the audiophile community here is very much pro analog and remains that way to this day.

Perhaps we don't appreciate digital "sonics" like others?

tb1

---- I like your post; it's very honest and rings true. :b

* BTW, did you ever listen to a digital machine (CD/SACD player) with the Ring DAC?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Well ...Is this a Dragon ..... ?

How did you pick that one, A. Wayne? It was never on my radar, but that was a period when I was not really paying attention. There is a lengthy thread on A'Gon about it, disputes over whether it is a modified Denon 103, questions about what Lloyd Walker really prefers, even though he apparently sold those cartridges at one point with his fancy turntable, and how it compares to other cartridges. The dealer, audio federation, is one who I have dealt with by phone, and I really liked Nell, one of the owners.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
* BTW, did you ever listen to a digital machine (CD/SACD player) with the Ring DAC?

Yes, the HDCD capable Arcam 9 and 23 I'm most familiar with, although I've heard other Arcam ringers sing in store demo's prior to their move to Wolfson Dacs. Actually, it's funny you should mention the Ring DAC, the audiophile who finally sold the Sony sa777es replaced it with a 9. The 9 was a warm (literally to the touch) but not a soft type player, with a very different tonal balance compared to the Sony 777(*). I've also heard dCS based systems, but they (or the system they resided in) were a little too clinical for my taste.

(*) the 777 was perhaps a better player than even I gave it credit for. It could in fact sound impressive at times given the right software. Strange, I was one of the rare people who actually thought it played CD at a "decent" level, and that it's SACD performance was also just as "decent" ... but none of us thought it nearly as "resolute" as the massive hype surrounding their introduction. I can still recall how certain audiophiles insisted that it was the best digital player ever made, going as far as comparing it favorably to the Linn CD12 (not even close). The hype surrounding these players was in my experience, NEVER justified. They showed consistent negative characteristics (compression during peak periods & a "hashy" noise floor which fogged-over ALL low level details). My CDP was clearly superior 90% of the time, the 777 10% advantage only evident with native DSD recorded material (but even that advantage could be offset by HDCD to quite an extent).

To this day, l still can't believe how the vast majority (but not all, some actually got it right) of the audio press kissed these players Derrieres. Furthermore, when Stereophile re-classed their digital components list, it further justified the hype, further justifying (to me at least) why the RCL is but a "borderline" useless ranking scheme.

Anyway ...

tb1

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
Lyra Atlas
Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement (in for review, but probably staying)
Lyra Kleos
Kleos Mono
Sumiko Palo Santos
Sumiko Blackbird
Grado Statement 1
Ortofon SPU
Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Ortofon VMS20 mk II
Myajima Kansui
Zu Denon 103
Denon 103
Rega Exact
Shure V15xmxr

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
The Monster Alpha is a very famous cartridge made by Monster Audio. It has been modified by A.J. Van den Hul with a new boron cantilever, a new VDH tip and a modified suspension. Result is that it is more dynamic and transparent as the original version and it has a better tracking. I really like this cartridge. monster.JPG

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
Nice cart! Will he still do them, or was this a one off?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The Monster Alpha is a very famous cartridge made by Monster Audio. It has been modified by A.J. Van den Hul with a new boron cantilever, a new VDH tip and a modified suspension. Result is that it is more dynamic and transparent as the original version and it has a better tracking. I really like this cartridge. View attachment 6844

The Alpha-2 holds many fond memories for me. If only had a phono section back then that was really capable of amplifying the cartridge's low output eg. not a Premier 3 :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I had an Alpha 2 High Output, and I used it for a few years. Tracking was quite good, better than the Carnegie 1. It can be on the 'lean' side. I always tried to tweak it to make it sound more full at the middle. But I couldn't make it sing like a Koetsu Black. :D

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
No idea, I got it from a VDH distributor in Germany, it was from his private collection. I just checked the link and it's not coming up. Shoot me a pm and I'll provide you his email address.

Nice cart! Will he still do them, or was this a one off?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Yep - I still have a couple.... and also a Virus.
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...s-Everyone-Using&p=89904&viewfull=1#post89904

I think that it's a wonderful cartridge, but it got "discredited" when someone posted that it is based on the lowly Denon 103 (not the R) and then charged megabucks. However, given the amount of work and selection (left/right channel matched to 0.1dB for example) that goes into this cartridge, I don't begrudge the manufacturer.

However, I found that it's tracking a bit lacking, and the top end a little compressed when compared to the truly megabuck cartridges, and I have the cantilever replaced with solid ruby, the stylus replaced with a line contour, and a couple more changes. Unfortunately, this makes it more finicky with set-up. SRA and azimuth has to be spot on. When it's properly aligned, it's the Emperor Dragon.

I used one of my modified Magic Diamonds in the demo in Hong Kong with the TechDAS Air Force ONE. After the first track that we played, the designer of the turntable looked at me and asked, "Can I buy 5 of your cartridges?"

Like taking a Porsche 911 and turning it into a Ruf 911 :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing