What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I am interested in what everyone is using and why. If you have more than one I would also be interested in the differences heard in your systems
Van den Hul Frog silver, VdH DDT mkII, Audio Technica AT-150MLX

VdHs are detailed and refined...AT has huge dynamics and detail but perhaps a bit coarse.

Reactions: mtemur

the_nines

Jul 6, 2019
Accuphase AC-6

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
This is my mono set up at the moment.

IMG_0997.jpeg

London Decca Maroon mono wired on an 18g EM Schröder Reference. The Decca has considerably less vertical compliance than horizontal but enough that the odd stereo cut passing under it isn’t in much danger. Having coils set for vertical and horizontal movement it’s easy to cancel the vertical one, The spherical stylus plays most mono cuts very well but not worn ones and for this reason I’m considering something more exotic when the new owners of London Decca start producing new cartridges again. This was my first Decca, to test the water, and it’s been rewarding after a few false starts but I don’t think I’ll opt for the plastic bracket next time, I’m using Dynavector 2.6mm screws as I over tightened the 2.5mm ones, it didn’t take much.

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
And for Stereo.

IMG_0996.jpeg

rangda

Mar 24, 2022
Out with the old and trusted Kleos (my third) and in with the NEW Etna Lambda. Let the sonic journey deepen! My head is simply in the clouds about this latest acquisition. More later [|;^)>

I'm running a Kleos now; the Etna is what I really wanted but it's so hard to justify $7500 for a consumable. And my Kleos is already north of 1000 hours in less than 2 years which makes even that painful.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
I'm running a Kleos now; the Etna is what I really wanted but it's so hard to justify $7500 for a consumable. And my Kleos is already north of 1000 hours in less than 2 years which makes even that painful.

Love the Kleos too, I’ve had three. Just felt the need to trade up, go in deep, and see what’s possible.

the_nines

Jul 6, 2019
Accuphase AC-2

the_nines

Jul 6, 2019
Thank you for the lovely picture. What are your impressions of the Accuphase AC-6?
We all love pics, and you're welcome. :)

A real pleasure to listen to.

Quite refined in its presentation, I found it to be very neutral and honest. It does not mask or colour anything. Superb soundstage, wide and deep. Performs quite well with any genre, but tends to love jazz, classical and acoustic recordings a tad more. As well, a real pleasure to listen to on vocals (especially female). Authoritative bass, robust mids and sparkling highs. A very accurate cartridge, it will give you what's there, nothing more and nothing less. Sounds a bit like my Benz Ref3 but one notch up.

A keeper.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Van Den Hul Grand Cru Elite, installed it today ! :) Better than my Benz LP-S and Benz TR on well recorded albums already !

Attachments

• IMG_2407.jpeg
    IMG_2407.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2401.jpeg
    IMG_2401.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 27

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Van Den Hul Grand Cru Elite, installed it today ! :) Better than my Benz LP-S and Benz TR on well recorded albums already !
I'd love to hear in which ways you feel the Grand Cru Elite is "better" than your LP-S and TR, if you'd like to share?

Thanks much and best wishes,
Don

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I'd love to hear in which ways you feel the Grand Cru Elite is "better" than your LP-S and TR, if you'd like to share?

Thanks much and best wishes,
Don
I expected better treble from the Grand Cru, as the treble is not exactly dominant on the LP-S ( a blessing some times). And it has, definitely more extended and detailed, but what strikes me most are the fantastic dynamics ! :eek: I had to check the db level again and again, thinking i had turned the preamp up louder than i normally do, it's like someone switched on a "loudness", switch i did not know about:) Bass is deep, detailed and fast, the LP-S is a little sluggish in comparison ! I started out with well recorded albums, and they all sound great, acoustic instruments have wonderful tone and believability, "suspension of disbelief TM" is of the chart, everything sounds dare i say " natural TM" !;) Later on i wanted to find out how bad regular rock, folk and bluegrasses recordings sounded, expecting a sh.t show. Big surprise ! :eek: I have not yet found a recording that does not sound better with the Grand Cru, the bass lines and drums on Queens "The Game" sound better than i have ever heard before, Bob Marley has layers of percussion i have not noticed before, the bass line and Saxophone on Lou Reeds "Walk on the wild side" are both detailed and smooth. My LP-S was long in the tooth but in it's best days never as good as this, the Ebony TR was never as good as the LP-S, just better at hiding bad recordings. David Karmeli picked this cartridge out of a batch for me, and spent a couple of days making sure it was very good. Thank you David !:)

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
I expected better treble from the Grand Cru, as the treble is not exactly dominant on the LP-S ( a blessing some times). And it has, definitely more extended and detailed, but what strikes me most are the fantastic dynamics ! :eek: I had to check the db level again and again, thinking i had turned the preamp up louder than i normally do, it's like someone switched on a "loudness", switch i did not know about:) Bass is deep, detailed and fast, the LP-S is a little sluggish in comparison ! I started out with well recorded albums, and they all sound great, acoustic instruments have wonderful tone and believability, "suspension of disbelief TM" is of the chart, everything sounds dare i say " natural TM" !;) Later on i wanted to find out how bad regular rock, folk and bluegrasses recordings sounded, expecting a sh.t show. Big surprise ! :eek: I have not yet found a recording that does not sound better with the Grand Cru, the bass lines and drums on Queens "The Game" sound better than i have ever heard before, Bob Marley has layers of percussion i have not noticed before, the bass line and Saxophone on Lou Reeds "Walk on the wild side" are both detailed and smooth. My LP-S was long in the tooth but in it's best days never as good as this, the Ebony TR was never as good as the LP-S, just better at hiding bad recordings. David Karmeli picked this cartridge out of a batch for me, and spent a couple of days making sure it was very good. Thank you David !:)
Thank you for your reply and your great description! It sounds like a wonderful cartridge... and for the additional money that it costs over that of the Benz, I was hoping it would be noticeably improved. I'm sure you will really enjoy re-discovering all of your albums :)

Best wishes,
Don

Reactions: Johan K and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Thank you for your reply and your great description! It sounds like a wonderful cartridge... and for the additional money that it costs over that of the Benz, I was hoping it would be noticeably improved. I'm sure you will really enjoy re-discovering all of your albums :)

Best wishes,
Don
I am like a kid in a candy store ! Having a hard time picking what to try next, it's all so sweet ! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing