What Do We Mean By "Resolution"?

KostasP.

May 6, 2016
Melbourne
I’m a big fan of latitude in communication Kostas. Language just isn’t something I believe you should beat people over the head with. Meaning, intent and understanding also take context. Don’t get me wrong, l like words, I quite like writing (I prefer music) but I also enjoy perspective. Some use their science or their wordsmithing like a form of currency or power. Me, I’m a shade more uncertain.

No one is beating people over the head with anything and it is not wordsmithing for the sake of power. This is your interpretation and a weak line of defence. I express my views in my own distinct way, respecting the English language as my step-mother tongue.

Reactions: Al M.

KostasP.

May 6, 2016
Melbourne
Yes, getting back to this topic... in fact wanted to share something that's the very essence of resolution.
Just about the same time last week, I visited my good mate Kostas. It was another spiritual experience indeed! Oh boy, did that have plenty of fine detail and a very high level of resolution & transparency.

On this occasion though, the music selection was quite different. Not the jazz norm or well known labels I'm used to, rather a totally different twist. Music played on simple instruments, yet involves years to master, and these instruments being the native type to those cultures. I believe the Ud, and Haval (hope I spelled it right) and other percussion instruments that are used in conjunction with improvised melodies and explosive dynamics! Two types of music played from Greece and Turkey. The Greece performances by Tania and her Trio, and accompanied trumpeter was like Miles Davis on steroids! His trumpet skills were effortless and the way in which he can twist and turn virtually in 90 degree angles is mesmerising! It was truly spectacular! The other CD was by a Turkish musician, Coskun Karademir, oh my goodness gracious! What a performance wow!!!

This type of music is like from a different planet, a different dimension and a totally unique rendition of professional playing. It's powerful tones that are reproduced so effortlessly with fierce propulsion and then can drop to an absolute whisper in a blink of eye, is just superb!
This is exactly what I'm looking for and do enjoy the most. When Coskun plays he would start as normal modes then all of a sudden go into overdrive, like a V12 engine and then drop to a whisper in a flowing tune. This rendition and lighting speed that captures the very essence of his playing abilities is outstanding! There's no way to fault whatsoever or there was absolutely nothing short of system resolution and very fine detail indeed!

So, with that experience I ordered 6 CDs of Coskun Karademir and his Quartet plus one other from Tania and her Trio. The Turkish labels are on Kalan and can be ordered through Opus3a. The beauty of these CDs is basically two things:
1. The cost on Opus3a is absolutely affordable, very reasonable cost for shipping as well, unlike most other online orders.
2. These are normal standard CDs, not SACD's or any fancy stuff, just plain good recordings.

This leads to my final point, and that is once the system has been put together thoughtfully with careful component selection, it will reach a certain threshold. From that point onwards it can only deliver what's on the recording. Hence, if the recording is not that great and somewhat mediocre then that's exactly what you're going to get! However, if the recording is done in the simplest manner possible, without too many overdubs and gizmos, you will hear a very fine level of detail along with a high level of resolution. Therefore, I believe it's not just the system that plays a part in this, it's also the source and format, without a doubt!

At the moment, I'm enjoying this particular LP as I'm typing this, and this particular recording also has a fine combination of resolution and detail. The system obviously adds to further refinement in depth and transparency, it's just a beautiful thing!
Cheers to Coskun Karademir and Tania G's Trio, my new found passion in extraordinary music!
A massive woofty woof!!!
RJ

Hello RJ,

Thank you for your company, not to mention your "reserved" enthusiasm in expressing your spontaneous and heart-felt sentiments.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
  • Haha
Reactions: bonzo75

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hello RJ,

Thank you for your company, not to mention your "reserved" enthusiasm in expressing your spontaneous and heart-felt sentiments.
Cheers Kostas!
It was a complete Paradigm shift in music, for me at least. Have very distantly heard similar tunes before but nothing quite like this, especially at this supreme level. It was certainly an eye opener plus a jaw dropping experience to share the brilliance of Martin Logan's full range stats. Definitely one of a kind and that makes me more than delighted to own the CLX's as well. I definitely made a very wise choice, no doubt!

This special kind of transducer is an end game for me, and that's saying quite a lot, considering the various types of panels I've owned in the past, even running my own dealership business with Maggie's and Apogee's, in addition to owning the mighty Apogee Diva's at one point. Right along somewhere in between our reference components, we've always used high powered tube amplifiers from CJ, and they just love electroststs!

Although, I haven't quite finalised my TT rig and digital gear, at this level it's so hard to let go of my current equipment and justify the exhorbitant spend to consider upgrading. .. I most probably will just hold onto to what I've got! Afterall, you really don't know what you've got until it's gone!

Probably looking at retirement in a couple years, who knows!
Cheers mate, it was an absolute pleasure!
Woof woof! Raj

Reactions: KostasP.

schlager

May 7, 2015
Denmark
Many good explanations and views on the term resolution. But how does one improve resolution in the audio system. The most effective way is bringing down the room noise. The live end dead end (LEDE) principal is very effective in bringing the decay and reverberation time of the room under control.

Move your listening position closer to the speakers will also give you more direct sound and less room reflections, resolution will improve but at the same time you may loose a bit of the spatialness the room gives. I will also say that speakers with constant directivity will improve the resolution, because it will be easier to remove the first reflections of the room and again control the direct/reflected sound ratio.

It should be obvious that you need an even in room frequency response. No point in having high resolution if the FR is skewed. As icing on the cake the time domain should be taken care of through FIR filters, this removes the phase rotation in the x-over and at the same time improves the group delay, so sound (fundamental tones and the related harmonics) from various speaker drivers will arrive simultaneously to the listener.

Regards Sebastian

KostasP.

May 6, 2016
Melbourne
Many good explanations and views on the term resolution. But how does one improve resolution in the audio system. The most effective way is bringing down the room noise. The live end dead end (LEDE) principal is very effective in bringing the decay and reverberation time of the room under control.

Move your listening position closer to the speakers will also give you more direct sound and less room reflections, resolution will improve but at the same time you may loose a bit of the spatialness the room gives. I will also say that speakers with constant directivity will improve the resolution, because it will be easier to remove the first reflections of the room and again control the direct/reflected sound ratio.

It should be obvious that you need an even in room frequency response. No point in having high resolution if the FR is skewed. As icing on the cake the time domain should be taken care of through FIR filters, this removes the phase rotation in the x-over and at the same time improves the group delay, so sound (fundamental tones and the related harmonics) from various speaker drivers will arrive simultaneously to the listener.

Regards Sebastian

Hello Sebastian,

In principle, I agree with your thoughts and you are absolutely correct in highlighting the importance of the listening space. Although the LEDE principle is usually applied in relatively small studios, it does not mean that domestic set-ups should not adhere to the fundamental acoustic principles so that the listening space can maximally contribute towards the optimal overall performance of the system. The speaker \ room interface is the most critical factor and different speaker types will react differently, based on how they launch and propagate their sound waves.

In my approx. 140 cubic metre dedicated space, I have ensured that my electrostatic speakers fulfil the minimum 10 ms reverberation requirement and, even though my room is conducive to good sound and dipoles are known to be more benign to boundary reflections, I have still strived to achieve a listening position which takes advantage of the RFZ (reflection-free zone ) principle.

Such set-ups tend to minimise the acoustic signature of the listening space, allowing the acoustic signature of the recorded venue to be reproduced by the direct sound field and not be smeared and "distorted" by the reflected field, although of course the room still exerts an influence on the sound that reaches the listener. A relatively large room is still needed in order to have a smoother frequency response and a more positive effect on the lower spectrum. Spatialness and soundstage scaling are not affected if the appropriate distance behind the speakers and between speakers is maintained.
Time \ phase domain issues become more problematical with multi-driver and complex x-over set-ups and is an area beyond my experience and knowledge.

Resolution, as a term, is almost a neutral concept. I am referring to HIGH resolution, which is the intrinsic trait of a relatively linear, neutral and very transparent system and a pre-requisite in order to retrieve as much as possible of the recored information ( some people conflate this phenomenon with accentuated artefacts ). Once this information enters the speakers, then all the points that you mentioned become very relevant.

Cheers, Kostas.

Reactions: schlager

schlager

May 7, 2015
Denmark
Hi Kostas.
We are pretty much on the same page, just with different rooms and setups. Panel speakers have their virtues, but needs careful setup, not to close to the front wall. You seem to have your ground covered pretty good, with a relatively big room to accommodate them. Bet it sounds good.

I also have a dedicated music room, it is L-shaped thus not symmetrical, so I listen in an area 3,6 meter wide (11 feet) by 6,5 m long (20 feet). I play on big DIY synergy horns with a coverage angle of 90 degrees horizontal and 60 degrees vertical. It controls the sound directivity down to 100 hz. So like your panels I get low dispersion in the vertical plane and can also control the horizontal dispersion. Counter intuitive, such big horns work very well in relatively small rooms. By placing them parallel out to the room wall sides and fire them 45 degrees into the room, the 1. reflection, seen from LP, is actually on the opposite wall, thus the RFZ criteria is met. This way it is easy to remove the early side 1. reflection. Pretty neat.

Smaller rooms will definitely improve with the LEDE method. Dampening the surfaces close to the speakers, side walls, wall behind speakers and also the ceiling and then disperse the sound behind the listening position. This will give the optimum conditions for the speakers to launch the soundwave on a close to pitch black background, while maintaining some late reflections for a more spacious and enveloped sound.

Correctly setup constant directivity speakers combined with the LEDE and FIR filter (DRC) creates a first direct plane wave, that is minimal distorted in both the frequency and time domain, so the output sound signal from the speakers represents as closely as possible, the input signal.

The result is truly great, which measurements also confirms. Low decay time, RT60 between 0.2-0.3 sec. linear downward tilting FR, good impulse response and step response. It improves all the attributes we associate with good high fidelity sound. Minimising the unwanted smearing room sound, will reveal the recordings more truthfully and elevate the resolution.

Best
Sebastian

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@schlager Have you shared details on your diy synergy horn build? I am intrigued in general and also what changes you made compared to the original concept.

...of course maybe for a new thread ;)

Reactions: schlager

kinch

Jan 7, 2014
Interesting thread and I would add: pedal usage on piano. I find this subtle low frequency information to be a true occurance, the recording of which depends on microphone placement. But if it's recorded then I want to hear it. It adds immeasurably to my enjoyment of, for example, Barenboim's Beethoven Sonatas ("on his new piano") because I listen with scores. Recently demoed some ultra high end speaker cables against my own, and the pedal information was gone. This was a material lack of resolution, for me a deal breaker.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Interesting thread and I would add: pedal usage on piano. I find this subtle low frequency information to be a true occurance, the recording of which depends on microphone placement. But if it's recorded then I want to hear it. It adds immeasurably to my enjoyment of, for example, Barenboim's Beethoven Sonatas ("on his new piano") because I listen with scores. Recently demoed some ultra high end speaker cables against my own, and the pedal information was gone. This was a material lack of resolution, for me a deal breaker.
Ooh. Which ones ?

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Hi Kostas.
We are pretty much on the same page, just with different rooms and setups. Panel speakers have their virtues, but needs careful setup, not to close to the front wall. You seem to have your ground covered pretty good, with a relatively big room to accommodate them. Bet it sounds good.

I also have a dedicated music room, it is L-shaped thus not symmetrical, so I listen in an area 3,6 meter wide (11 feet) by 6,5 m long (20 feet). I play on big DIY synergy horns with a coverage angle of 90 degrees horizontal and 60 degrees vertical. It controls the sound directivity down to 100 hz. So like your panels I get low dispersion in the vertical plane and can also control the horizontal dispersion. Counter intuitive, such big horns work very well in relatively small rooms. By placing them parallel out to the room wall sides and fire them 45 degrees into the room, the 1. reflection, seen from LP, is actually on the opposite wall, thus the RFZ criteria is met. This way it is easy to remove the early side 1. reflection. Pretty neat.

Smaller rooms will definitely improve with the LEDE method. Dampening the surfaces close to the speakers, side walls, wall behind speakers and also the ceiling and then disperse the sound behind the listening position. This will give the optimum conditions for the speakers to launch the soundwave on a close to pitch black background, while maintaining some late reflections for a more spacious and enveloped sound.

Correctly setup constant directivity speakers combined with the LEDE and FIR filter (DRC) creates a first direct plane wave, that is minimal distorted in both the frequency and time domain, so the output sound signal from the speakers represents as closely as possible, the input signal.

The result is truly great, which measurements also confirms. Low decay time, RT60 between 0.2-0.3 sec. linear downward tilting FR, good impulse response and step response. It improves all the attributes we associate with good high fidelity sound. Minimising the unwanted smearing room sound, will reveal the recordings more truthfully and elevate the resolution.

Best
Sebastian
My room. Smaller than yours. Zero dampening ( other than a carpet). Seating position around 9” from back wall. Speakers. 2.5-3ft from back wall.
Near field /far field? Not an issue.
Almost zero toe in.
reflections? Hardly

Sound wise? Spot on. It can be done.

kinch

Jan 7, 2014
Reactions: Cableman

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
My room. Smaller than yours. Zero dampening ( other than a carpet). Seating position around 9” from back wall. Speakers. 2.5-3ft from back wall.
Near field /far field? Not an issue.
Almost zero toe in.
reflections? Hardly

Sound wise? Spot on. It can be done.

I agree it can be done. I have a sofa and a couple of chairs in my small room and I consider them to be treatment just like the oriental rug. My head is about 18 inches from the back wall and I have large corner horn speakers in my two front wall corners. The wooden slats in the blinds covering my windows are also adjusted to affect the sound.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
I agree it can be done. I have a sofa and a couple of chairs in my small room and I consider them to be treatment just like the oriental rug. My head is about 18 inches from the back wall and I have large corner horn speakers in my two front wall corners. The wooden slats in the blinds covering my windows are also adjusted to affect the sound.
Blinds. Now why didn’t I think of that :) Bare windows me.

KostasP.

May 6, 2016
Melbourne
Ooh. Which ones ?

This is but only one example of low level retrieval and, rightly so, very important to you just like it is for me, for the note is NOT complete until all of the minute elements that comprise it are manifested, i.e resolved by a transparent and highly resolving system.

Any low level musical information that one hears in a live event, assuming that one sits relatively close to the musicians (like microphones usually do! ), should equally be heard via a good playback system. All of the recorded venue's many subtle cues which, in fact, emanate from the musicians and which enhance the musician's intent and expression, collectively constitute a vital "extra" dimension in their own music-making. By extension, if this additional dimension is missing in our playback systems, then our complete appreciation of the musician's art is also amiss. For example, the complete decay of the note will be determined by the acoustic nature of the venue and the musician's technique; in turn, the playback system should be able to reproduce this complete personality of the played note and the acoustic venue's personality.

There are so many intricate"intra-notal" ( apologies to lexicographers for my "poetic licence" ) timbral under \ over tones, inflections and other nuances from the initial attack of the note, continuing to its sustain and culminating to its decay. In my view, the complete personality of the note is both sonically and musically compromised if it is NOT rendered by the system.

These are not artefacts; they are vital sonic cues and clues that enhance the listening experience, do justice to the musician and, in the absence of visual cues, take us closer to the suspension of disbelief ( a subjectively controversial term in itself ).

Cheers, Kostas.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Non hifi and non resolution related:
Hey Bonzo, this is for you mate.
Chicken Kothu served !!! (I remember you prefer Lamb kothu but this one, home made by myself you got to try it! Got to feed the big dog once in a while...)
Woof!

Attachments

• 20211213_020942.jpg
    20211213_020942.jpg
    765.8 KB · Views: 2

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Ron, to me resolution means information. Greater resolution means greater amounts of information. Natural resolution means information presented naturally. The more natural resolution that a system can present, the more listening to the system reminds us of listening to real music.
Interesting review of the Jadis JS1 Mk. V DAC which gets at the heart of the trade-off that can arise between resolution and musicality:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/jadis-js1-mkv-reference-da-processor

Reactions: caesar

caesar

May 30, 2010
Interesting review of the Jadis JS1 Mk. V DAC which gets at the heart of the trade-off that can arise between resolution and musicality:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/jadis-js1-mkv-reference-da-processor

Thanks. Brilliant writing by Alex Halbestadt. Excellent quote from Michael Lavorgna in the article:

"Resolution can be a tricky thing when it comes to digital," my friend Michael Lavorgna recently told me. "Too much, and my focus shifts from music to sound; too little, and I become less engaged." Lavorgna, a visual artist and proprietor of the online audio-and-music publication Twittering Machines

Reactions: Tim Link

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I thought we now use pastry terms now . To understand terms is paramount and I for one don't know them per say

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing