? What Jazz Music Selection are you Listening to in the Now? | Analog, Digital ??????

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Listening now to the timeless album “bags & trane“ on a ARC Ref CD8. Sounds awesome. This is a European release I picked up many years ago on a trip overseas. Sounds a lot better than the streaming version through my Lampi DAC!

View attachment 124595

Milt Jackson made a few very nice albums in that period, which are also worth checking out:

- Soul Brothers, with Ray Charles in 1957
- Bean Bags, with Coleman Hawkins in 1958
- Bags Meets Wes, with Wes Montgomery in 1961

Bags Meets Wes has great sound quality (as a bonus).

Last edited:
Reactions: Long Live Analog

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Can anyone suggest a first-class playlist of good Jazz from the Qobuz menu of Playlists? Thanks

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Can anyone suggest a first-class playlist of good Jazz from the Qobuz menu of Playlists? Thanks

I have a bunch of tracks in a playlist which I can share: https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/8990336
There is a lot of old stuff, there is no particular order, and sound quality is not a criteria. There is so much missing, as with any playlist, but it can always give you some ideas.

Reactions: marty

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Thanks for that but I cannot find your playlist on the current Qobuz list of playlists that BluOS shows. There are a couple of lists with the title Jazz Samples but nothing under Sampler and nothing under Stephane. Any hint as to how I might find your list? Thanks

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Thanks for that but I cannot find your playlist on the current Qobuz list of playlists that BluOS shows. There are a couple of lists with the title Jazz Samples but nothing under Sampler and nothing under Stephane. Any hint as to how I might find your list? Thanks
You should be able to find it by searching for 8990336

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Thanks, but that string in the BluOS Qobuz Search box offers a single result - under Artists, a name in Chinese text - and it's certainly not jazz!

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Thanks, but that string in the BluOS Qobuz Search box offers a single result - under Artists, a name in Chinese text - and it's certainly not jazz!
Maybe search for it on the Qobuz app or web page, save it to your favorites and then you should be able to see it in BluOS? If not, I unfortunately can't help any further.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Maybe search for it on the Qobuz app or web page, save it to your favorites and then you should be able to see it in BluOS? If not, I unfortunately can't help any further.
With BluOS I have no need for the Qobuz app or their website and I'd have no idea how this could be fed into my system using these methods - but thanks for trying.

Reactions: hopkins

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
https://f4.bcbits.com/img/a2016416885_10.jpg

Bought the 3LP set last fall...only today realized that it also contained two CDs of the album...listening to the CDs now.
Sun RA in some far place: Roma '77

Thanks for the heads up. Very nice album.

The album is on Qobuz but I bought the digital version from Bandcamp anyway. The "download only" version has 4 extra tracks not included in the CD, but originally on the 3LP. Too bad the digital download does not include the booklet.

Last edited:

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Milt Jackson made a few very nice albums in that period, which are also worth checking out:

- Soul Brothers, with Ray Charles in 1957
- Bean Bags, with Coleman Hawkins in 1958
- Bags Meets Wes, with Wes Montgomery in 1961

Bags Meets Wes has great sound quality (as a bonus).
Yup, I have all of these albums on vinyl and CD. I like Bags meets Wes as well. Great recording.

Reactions: hopkins

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Listened to this fabulous 45 LP at the den of a vinyl audiophile friend last week :
IMG_20240211_095636.jpg

I immediately went to buy the sacd version :
IMG_20240211_094924.jpg
:D

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Reactions: CKKeung

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io

Earl Hines & Ray Nance - When Your Love Has Gone - 1973

Last edited:

Sunra

Jul 16, 2018
Faruq Z Bey.jpeg .
My first post to this thread and the Forum as well. While I listen to many "jazz" war horses of the genre I tend to share those that may be more obscure or challenge the notion of the genre. Personally I prefer a brief summary of the music to guide the curious listener, vice only posting an album cover. This Detroit ensemble led by Faruq Z. Bey on Emerging Field is an fine example of spiritual creative music from the Motor CIty creative music. Simultaneously introspective and probing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing