What speakers have most horn-like dynamics?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
That's not a correct generalization WRT ported speakers.

I agree with you about the KEFs, but blaming the port isn't the reality of the situation. Listen to TAD speakers, they are front ported and the bass is a touch overdamped and very "fast"... It's all about implementation, and there are some advantages to ported designs like less distortion at higher volumes because there is far less excursion required vs sealed drivers. DSP should be able to minimize or eliminate group delay issues as well, making for the possibility of a cab that is better than sealed or typical passive ported designs.

I agree. Another way to overcome an offensive port would be to cross the speaker over well above the tuning frequency to some subs. That's what I do.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Actually, speakers with small drivers and high excursion are more the opposite of horns. If you look at it in terms of mechanical impedance then large diameter dynamic drivers are much closer to horns than smaller drivers with lots of excursion. Not that it matters as high efficiency speakers with large drivers probably are the most dynamic speaker type except horns.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I got my 11s but they aren't it. 11s are pretty close but not there. Something else is ;)

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I'd say my speakers are the absolute antithesis of horns, but make for a much more intimate listening experience.

One thing I know, is that it is horses for courses - what may suit one may not suit another, and that listening environment and habits (i.e. what level you actually listen to music at) is important. But yes, my experience is high efficiency large diameter drivers offer very good dynamics. As do certain electrostatic designs.

ps that all said, I lust for some Cessaro Chopins, which are a hybrid design, as I understand it. I have a friend with Chopins and Shindo components, and admire his system greatly.Effortless balanced and lush sound.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Originally Posted by DaveC: High efficiency speakers with large diameter drivers would be the closest to horns, the large diameter drivers are key as the mechanical impedance is closest to a horn.

Actually the very opposite of a horn.
Keith.

Dave is not suggesting that high efficiency speakers are horns or are like horns. I think I understand what Dave is saying. High efficiency speakers with big drivers seem to put you in the conceptual direction of the "jump factor" of horns. I think this is why I reported great dynamics and high "jump factor" from Steve's system.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Come on, don't be so coy :) You've said that you heard something which is more dynamic than horns. Out with it! I'd love to have a listen too!

Actually I never said that I've heard anything which is more dynamic than horns, never ever :) I should be more specific. I would say as dynamic as a well sorted out Victor-Sierra bad boy set, which is saying a lot. Victor-Sierras have been my benchmark for horns since forever albeit I obviously haven't heard everything. Beastly PA horns will still beat these for shear jump, easy, but with a whole lot of trade-offs.

The VR-111s are here. I don't want to get arrested by the hyperbole police so I'll leave it at that. These are one offs so chill, shill patrol, it's a moot thing. The company will not make another set.

I will still maintain that there is nothing that would fit in a normal sized domestic environment that can beat a horn at jump. Nada. I hope to be proven wrong again someday soon.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Stevie. Yes Albert is here and he set up the 111s. It's 3 in the morning and I'll probably get to post this weekend. Kinda hectic now and dead beat. I worked three jobs today.

Errata: not Victor-Sierra but rather Sierra-Brooks. Victor Sierra left the audio business and it's a shame he did. For a while he continued making horns but sold mostly to South Korea. I hear he's just chillin' out these days as he has a few very successful businesses going and now only makes stuff for himself. Dunno what happened to Brooks.

Benanton

May 1, 2015
I'll add my speakers to the list of almost horn like jump: Tocaro's. They're without question the quickest and most dynamic non-horn speaker I've ever heard. I absolutely can not compare them to the better horn speakers as my experience is too limited, but for a box speaker they're smokin'. They're descendents of Rehdeko's, without the glaring flaws.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The VR-111s are here. I don't want to get arrested by the hyperbole police so I'll leave it at that. These are one offs so chill, shill patrol, it's a moot thing. The company will not make another set.

I have just received word that the hyperbole police have granted you full immunity from prosecution. Let her rip!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't have the words Ron ;) :D

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jack believes his VR-111s are the best VR-111's he's ever heard. He hasn't heard the literally dozens of competing VR-111's out there, but is supremely confident HIS Pair, and HIS PAIR ALONE, are the best VR-111's in the known (and unknown) universe.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Horns are horns. But as far a 'conventional' designs go, I think big ATCs are as unrestrained dynamically as it gets. Not surprising that they're primarily a pro market company; in that market dynamic compression is a major no-no. They need more power than horns, but don't compress when it's there. I think relative lack of compression via conventional designs has distinguished Wilson for many years vs. the pack.

As someone who values dynamics very highly -- live blues performances are my benchmark -- I always thought I'd own horns at some point, and even tried to -- but wound up w/Scaena line arrays that sound dynamically unrestrained at all volume levels to me.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Actually, the fastest ones after horns, or along with them, are Stat panels in the mids. They are the lightest and fastest driver of the bunch. Ribbons are fast as well, and so are the magnet panels of apogees, despite low sensitivity.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack believes his VR-111s are the best VR-111's he's ever heard. He hasn't heard the literally dozens of competing VR-111's out there, but is supremely confident HIS Pair, and HIS PAIR ALONE, are the best VR-111's in the known (and unknown) universe.

Well there is only one pair of 111s in the world and it will remain the only pair. It is a one off. I guess that makes it the best 111 by default, yes? LOL. Oh and they aren't mine. I have 11s not 111s. Now as much as I love my own being perfect for my room which was rebuilt acoustically for their eventual coming by removing the bass lift I had when I had 9s, the 111s are a different animal. It is a project where the designer was given free reign to do everything he'd ever wanted to do. You might think this is a cool thing but there's a lot of pressure when somebody puts that kind of faith in you. I surely haven't heard everything like say the Magico Ultimate (which had a similar back story), Gary's Dragons (Gary's realization of his own dreams as a designer), the LA, Tessie, the upcoming WAMM or others. Even if I had, I would like to make it clear that I in no way make any declarations of what is the best. I am from the camp that believes the only best is what an individual finds best for his needs. In my mind all gear are simply tools to accomplish an objective. In this case the objective is a natural presentation that retains its composure past the user's thresholds. This is IMO what separates simply plunking down and enjoying music from listening being an experience in itself. There's something to be said about being so worry free that any thought about the gear or fiddling with any of it is sucked out the HVAC when the music starts playing. Mind you, there is settling in to be had and optimization to be done over time. The scary part is jaded as I am, right now, I don't know how or where it can be improved. That said these are not magic speakers that make everything sound good. Some requested tracks had me reaching for some scotch because there were no ear plugs to be found. What the hell is up with music from the 80's being recorded so badly anyway? Oh yeah, the age of the dominance of cassette tape. No highs no lows, perfect for B_SE. Grrrrrrrr.

Ok arrest me now.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Actually, the fastest ones after horns, or along with them, are Stat panels in the mids. They are the lightest and fastest driver of the bunch. Ribbons are fast as well, and so are the magnet panels of apogees, despite low sensitivity.

True, but the lack of impact removes them from consideration, imo... if there's no impact to go along with the dynamics are there really dynamics?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing