What This Hobby is all About (to me anyway)

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Tough week. Travel to two cities, bad weather, long days. I made it back to Dallas Thursday night just as we were turning into Iceland! White knuckle ride all the way home. Up early Friday, worked from home on calls most of the day. Finally shutdown at 6pm, opened a nice bottle of wine, enjoyed dinner with my wife. After dinner, my wife and I went upstairs to our music room because I said we had to listen to a song. We listened to the song "Mandela (Bring Him Back Home)" from the SACD "Hope", by Hugh Masekela. We were filled with the musicians expressions of joy, peace, and hope. You are reminded of how important one man's life was to so many people. There's a lump in my throat, and right there, in those five minutes is what this hobby is all about. Who cares about tubes vs transistors, CD or vinyl, whether cables make a difference, or one brand vs another. This recording made in 1993 at Jazz Alley, Washington, D.C. by Hugh Masekela and a group of extraordinary musicians, played back in our listening room did that.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Great story. Like Dallas, it doesn't hardly snow in Seattle. But when it does, it is a nightmare. It is so great to finally get home, relax, listen to music and watch the scenery from inside. And yeh, when the music has that emotional connection to current news, it goes beyond mere enjoyment.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! It's all about the media. Forget even the fact that some recordings are imperfect, enjoy the music for what it is. Been playing my less than pristine copy of Deja Vu on the old TT, but my enjoyment is not diminished one iota.

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Tough week. Travel to two cities, bad weather, long days. I made it back to Dallas Thursday night just as we were turning into Iceland! White knuckle ride all the way home. Up early Friday, worked from home on calls most of the day. Finally shutdown at 6pm, opened a nice bottle of wine, enjoyed dinner with my wife. After dinner, my wife and I went upstairs to our music room because I said we had to listen to a song. We listened to the song "Mandela (Bring Him Back Home)" from the SACD "Hope", by Hugh Masekela. We were filled with the musicians expressions of joy, peace, and hope. You are reminded of how important one man's life was to so many people. There's a lump in my throat, and right there, in those five minutes is what this hobby is all about. Who cares about tubes vs transistors, CD or vinyl, whether cables make a difference, or one brand vs another. This recording made in 1993 at Jazz Alley, Washington, D.C. by Hugh Masekela and a group of extraordinary musicians, played back in our listening room did that.

Glad you made it safely to Dallas. Sounds like a wonderful evening at home.

I'm still stuck in MX trying to get home through Dallas. While the weather down here is fantastic today, I wish I was home (as cold as it is in Arkansas today) with my wife, a glass of wine and listening to some music.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Both posts and life moments just like this always bring a smile to my face. Thanks for sharing and happy holidays to you and yours. :)

Tom

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
It's been great sledding here with kids though. The 11th fairway t-box behind my house sits on a huge hill. It's turned into the Coppell Junior Winter Olympics over the last couple of days. :)

jdandy2

Jun 13, 2012
North Florida
Glad you made it safely to Dallas. Sounds like a wonderful evening at home.

I'm still stuck in MX trying to get home through Dallas. While the weather down here is fantastic today, I wish I was home (as cold as it is in Arkansas today) with my wife, a glass of wine and listening to some music.

Nothing worse than being stuck somewhere due to travel complications when you'd rather be in the comfort of your own castle. Hope you make it home by tomorrow.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Great story. Like Dallas, it doesn't hardly snow in Seattle. But when it does, it is a nightmare. It is so great to finally get home, relax, listen to music and watch the scenery from inside. And yeh, when the music has that emotional connection to current news, it goes beyond mere enjoyment.

Snow? That would've been more than welcome. All I saw was freezing rain, sleet, and ice. I had a chance to sit down with my rig last night and was blown away by how good it sounded. I'm not sure why, but it literally has never sounded that good before. There was an air to the music that my system normally lacks.

I'm glad you made it home safely Sorren. When I left work at 5:00, the biggest issue I had was the drivers themselves, not the roads. I'm hoping it heats up early enough tomorrow so that I can at least get out of the house for a bit.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It's been great sledding here with kids though. The 11th fairway t-box behind my house sits on a huge hill. It's turned into the Coppell Junior Winter Olympics over the last couple of days. :)
:). We love it too when it snows if we don't have to go anywhere. With all the evergreens here, it becomes picture perfect with snow on them.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I never knew it snowed in Dallas or Seattle.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

Spot on rsorren1. It's all about our emotional connection to the music. I'm currently on vacation in Mexico making a CD for my granddaughter who is 2 mo old. I was going through my 200G library on my Mac and cherry picking songs, many of which I played for my daughter when she was a child. It was an exercise in emotional joy and many a happy tear fell as I assembled my compilation. Did I listen to these on my big rig? No. Do I give a rat's ass if I have a tube system, a SS system, fancy interconnects and speaker cables with boxes attached to them, expensive PC cables named after snakes and 6 ft. speakers? Hell no. It was all done on a iPod using some JH headphones and I couldn't have had more fun or been happier listening.

Ruby 10 days-2 copy.jpg

Ruby 10 days copy.jpg

Ruby Ist tie dye copy.jpg

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Spot on rsorren1. It's all about our emotional connection to the music. I'm currently on vacation in Mexico making a CD for my granddaughter who is 2 mo old. I was going through my 200G library on my Mac and cherry picking songs, many of which I played for my daughter when she was a child. It was an exercise in emotional joy and many a happy tear fell as I assembled my compilation. Did I listen to these on my big rig? No. Do I give a rat's ass if I have a tube system, a SS system, fancy interconnects and speaker cables with boxes attached to them, expensive PC cables named after snakes and 6 ft. speakers? Hell no. It was all done on a iPod using some JH headphones and I couldn't have had more fun or been happier listening.

View attachment 12906

View attachment 12907

View attachment 12908

Beautiful Marty! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your story.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing