What to buy now? Need a new USB DAC.

martin778

Oct 2, 2014
Still unsure why I got rid of my LKS004, but I did and there is no way back....audiophilia nervosa decided that I need something better I guess.
I prefer second hand gear and the DAC must have the following options:
- Balanced outputs
- Decent USB input that will work with a SoTM-200 Ultra Neo
- Not vintage (USB-coax converters are a no-go)
- Would sonically match my Eidolon Visions and Accuphase E600.

Denafrips gear seems to be the new hype at the moment but I am not keen on ordering from China due to massive import duties (would probably add like another €2k to the price).

Any ideas? I have ~€4000 to spend.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
martin,

Look into the Aqua DACs out of Italy. The La Voce S3 is around that price, and is a ladder DAC (like the Denafrips).

cheers,
alex

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. It is also a ladder DAC, and as good as the review says:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/schiit-audio-yggdrasil-dac/

Robert Harley's conclusion:
"If you’re looking for a DAC that does quad-rate DSD, decodes MQA, offers a volume control, and includes a headphone amp, look elsewhere. But if the very best reproduction of PCM sources is your goal, the Yggdrasil is the ticket. It’s a spectacular performer on an absolute level, and an out-of-this world bargain. The Yggy is not just a tremendous value in today’s DACs, it’s one of the greatest bargains in the history of high-end audio."

(If you have DSD files you will have to convert them. In his review Harley mentions more sibilance than on other DACs, but this is not my experience.)

A friend and I did several shoot-outs against one of the expensive reference DACs mentioned in the review, and we preferred the Yggdrasil. He sold his expensive DAC for it.

The Yggdrasil has balanced outputs, and the current Gen 5 USB input is supposed to be very good (I have the USB Gen 3, but I use the AES/EBU connection from my CD transport).

Price is about 2,500 Euros.

I love mine a lot. Great tone, dynamics, transients, spatial presentation (distinct portrayal of different spatiality on different recordings, with great depth where it applies). Resolution of timbral micro-detail (e.g. on string quartets) is as good as I have heard anywhere thus far. Importantly, it is also one of the best rhythmic performers that I have heard, regardless if digital or analog. It rocks or swings like a beast.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Denafrips gear seems to be the new hype at the moment but I am not keen on ordering from China due to massive import duties (would probably add like another €2k to the price).
Any ideas? I have ~€4000 to spend.

If you buy Denafrips from the Vinshine Audio in Singapore, you still need to pay extra import duties?
https://www.vinshineaudio.com

martin778

Oct 2, 2014
I guess so, since I'm from the EU so import tax/duties would have to be added.

I've heard good things about Yggdrasil too but the availability is very limited.

What do you think about Audio-GD R7 with Singxer F-1 upgrade? ~€2.8k brand new, can pick-it up from Magna.
I don't care about DSD.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I've heard good things about Yggdrasil too but the availability is very limited.

From Schiit Europe? In the US it is now in stock, after it had been on backorder for a while.

martin778

Oct 2, 2014
I've looked at the DAC 50 but to be honest it's just a plain PCB that costs €1250 here. Compared to my previous LKS it doesn't look promising at all.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing