What's Best in Mid-Tier Cables

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hi everyone, I've had WyWire Silver cabling for 10 years and find it with good tonal density and resolution but pretty neutral - it doesn't highlight certain areas of the frequency spectrum which I've found most cables do. Its a pretty simple design with copper litz strands and air dialetric. I tried WyWires Platinum speaker cables during the pandemic which were higher in resolution, but defined the image into "L, C, R" and it was kind of strange spatially.

I've also tried Kubala-Sosna Emotion/Elation on occasion from my dealer (mid range centric/forward/closed in), Cardas Clear Beyond (not as warm as former Cardas, but has a pleasantville smooth sound on everything), and Audience Au24SX (very nice tone that grabs you at first, but then seems too forward and not neutral).

So I am looking at cables in the ~$3k range which (unfortunately or not) is the mid-tier of cabling these days. Here are some options I'm considering:

1. Clarus
2. Argento/Organic Audio
3. Hijiri

I'd like some thoughts on these or others that folks prefer - again, I'm really in the more neutral cable camp with nice resolution. But something that isn't dead analytical. I also don't want network cables.

Reactions: dgale
Hi everyone, I've had WyWire Silver cabling for 10 years and find it with good tonal density and resolution but pretty neutral - it doesn't highlight certain areas of the frequency spectrum which I've found most cables do. Its a pretty simple design with copper litz strands and air dialetric. I tried WyWires Platinum speaker cables during the pandemic which were higher in resolution, but defined the image into "L, C, R" and it was kind of strange spatially.

I've also tried Kubala-Sosna Emotion/Elation on occasion from my dealer (mid range centric/forward/closed in), Cardas Clear Beyond (not as warm as former Cardas, but has a pleasantville smooth sound on everything), and Audience Au24SX (very nice tone that grabs you at first, but then seems too forward and not neutral).

So I am looking at cables in the ~$3k range which (unfortunately or not) is the mid-tier of cabling these days. Here are some options I'm considering:

1. Clarus
2. Argento/Organic Audio
3. Hijiri

I'd like some thoughts on these or others that folks prefer - again, I'm really in the more neutral cable camp with nice resolution. But something that isn't dead analytical. I also don't want network cables.
Most neutral cables I have found that works in my systems are IC both XLR and SE by Analysis Plus, Solo Crystal Oval. Speaker cables are Townshend Isolda. Tube rig is all Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval IC and speaker cables are Purist Audio Design Poseidon.

My cables will be superior in this price range, and I have demos to try out. :)

For ICs, my DSR and D4 are <$3k and will be comparable to anything at any price range. My UPOCC silver SCs are much more expensive but less than many brands. In a lower price range my UPOCC copper ribbon cables are as good as it gets, and are objectively superior in terms of electrical properties to almost everything else. With the ribbon shape I can achieve very low inductance without excessive capacitance and a characteristic impedance that matches speaker impedance ranges without using a network box.

My lead times are a little long right now (~4wks) but I'm working to reduce them and it's worth the wait. :)

Reactions: GSOphile
Have you ever heard of Tubulus cables out of Holland? Their top of the line Concentus speaker cables will run you about $2100 for 2.5meters and they come with a money back guarantee.

(my only affiliation with Tubulus is as a customer)

I would look at Dave's Zenwave and Iconoclast. Spending more is spending more. It's not higher quality or higher performance. Probably euphonic color. Or sterile neutrality.

Anyone who has a demo cable like Zenwave should be tried. Everything else is just s guess.

I've had very good luck with Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables and there are some users who have reported similarly excellent results with the new Fidelium interconnects, which I'll be purchasing as soon as I can sell some other equipment. The ics are not on the Silversmith website but they are available for sale if you contact Jeff Smith.

Most neutral cables I have found that works in my systems are IC both XLR and SE by Analysis Plus, Solo Crystal Oval. Speaker cables are Townshend Isolda. Tube rig is all Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval IC and speaker cables are Purist Audio Design Poseidon.

+1 on Analysis Plus

Hi Keith,

I was going to suggest investigating Iconoclast as well.

For any folks who might be musing upon flat copper ribbon speaker cables I would recommend considering these: https://magnancables.wordpress.com/products/signature-speaker-cables/

Perhaps a little overlooked somewhat in todays busy modern cable market place , however if looking for a weighty , tonally dense presentation with no tipped up upper octaves they perform rather well.

For any folks who might be musing upon flat copper ribbon speaker cables I would recommend considering these: https://magnancables.wordpress.com/products/signature-speaker-cables/

Perhaps a little overlooked somewhat in todays busy modern cable market place , however if looking for a weighty , tonally dense presentation with no tipped up upper octaves they perform rather well.
Townshend also make a wonderful ribbon speaker cable. I am enjoying them immensely.

Townshend also make a wonderful ribbon speaker cable. I am enjoying them immensely.

Yup , whilst going through my ribbon cable phase I made up a few DIY’ers , Jeff’s Fidelium’s , Townshend Isolda‘s , all good in their disparate ways , but settled with the Magnan's for the properties mentioned in my previous post .

I would have very much liked to have tried Dave’s UPOCC silver SCs but never got around to it.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'm candidly skeptical on Iconoclast at the price he charges for Belden. Analysis Plus has been recommended by a reviewer friend, too.
I really love my AP Solo Crystal Oval IC's

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing