Which tube ampli for Tannoy Canterbury Se

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Good morning WBF friends

I am happily using my Jeff Rowland Coherence II / 2 preamp and a Jeff Rowland Model 8 TiHC to drive my Tannoy Canterbury SE (Cardas Golden Reference interconnects and power cables plus two pairs of: Duelund GA12 low and Double Duelund GA16 high). The sound is very transparent, dynamic and musical, now I would also like to try an integrated tube amplifier or a pre / amplifier solution (stereo) - amplifier (mono)
I was also evaluating 2 pairs of Luxman mQ 88uc stereo amplifiers bi-amp, 20watt ,,,,,,,,

What are your experiences? What power should I look for? What benefits should I expect from sound?

Thanks for letting me know your ideas ...

To further complete the whole scenario, I'll add the following data:
- my listening room is 12 meters long and 6.30 meters wide. The Tannoys are located on the side of 6.30 meters positioned at 1.20 meters from the back wall and approx. 1mt (each) from the side walls. 3mt between the two speakers and I listen to them at a distance of 4 / 5mt leaving 5 / 6mt behind my back. The room is very moderately threaded.
- I mainly use my Garrard 401 as a spinner for my LP collection; a Sony SCD1 for my CD collection and a Lumin T2 for streaming ...
- I mainly listen to 60% of jazz, 20% of classical music and the remaining 20% of other musical genres.

Thank you,
Gustavo
The upcoming Allnic T2000 30th Anniversary KT170 push pull integrated, The new KT170 tube is a force to be reckoned with, much lower colouration and control than the KT150.

Reactions: gustavo
May 2, 2022
Ho acquistato le Tannoy Canterbury SE Prestige da circa 2 mesi, ferme in negozio da 1 anno.
Erano molti anni che volevo prenderle, sono finalmente entrati a casa mia.
Mi sono subito reso conto conoscendole che questi diffusori devono suonare tutti i giorni, altrimenti il woofer si frena non lavorando bene, infatti ho dovuto utilizzare amplificazioni a stato solido in classe AB da 150/200watt. per farli ripartire, sembrava che erano ancora in rodaggio.
Sono passati circa 2 mesi , la situazione è nettamente migliorata , infatti attualmente sto utilizzando una coppia di McIntosh MC30 , con soli 30 watt a valvole, pilotano le Tannoy Canterbury SE in modo ottimale, un suono molto raffinato con musica Jazz è cantautori, veramente esce magia da questo concentrico da 15 .
Ovviamente se vogliamo ascoltare qualcosa di più impegnativo siamo un pò costretti a utilizzare un finale più correntoso.
Tra i finali a valvole correntosi , quelli che mi sono piaciuti maggiormente sulle Tannoy Canterbury SE sono stati

Coppia di McIntosh MC275 in mono a 150 watt
McIntosh MC2000
VTL 200 Signature
Manley 250 mono
Vi mostro un video di una parte del mio impianto, dove la Tannoy Caterbury SE suona con i McIntosh MC30 .
30 watt

Attachments

• IMG_20210205_142651.jpg
    IMG_20210205_142651.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: rob and howiebrou

Jono

Oct 27, 2017
Bakoon amplifiers combine beautifully with Tannoy speakers.I use a Bakoon AMP 5521.
I have not used my tube amps or my Dartzeel since getting the Bakoon.

Last edited:
Reactions: gustavo and jespera

zerung

Nov 20, 2011
I replaced my Wavac amp with the Willsenton R-800i, boy was it amazing....

Reactions: gustavo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing