Which used 2nd tier SS Integrated to purchase

ssguy4ever

Oct 2, 2024
USA
I'm retired and like a lot of retirees I'm looking to simplify my set-up. I can't afford any of the 1st tier integrateds (such as Audionet Humboldt, Soulution 530, D'agostino Momentum, etc.) so I'm looking at those (SS) integrateds which would fall into the 2nd tier. My list has been narrowed down to 5: Audionet Watt; Soulution 330, Goldmund Telos Nextgen 2, D'Agostino Progression and Vitus SIA-025 Mk 2. I'm intrigued by the Mola Mola kaluga and the AAvik 1-580 but I still think class d is a work in progress. I could be wrong. The Gryphon Diablo 300 would be considered but I'm reading posts that it can be a little dark sounding. My speakers are, unfortunately, power hungry: 87 db and 4 ohms. I listen to Jazz, Electronic, Ambient, Classic rock, and classical (rarely). I'm looking for an integrated that excels with leading edge transients and bass extension and control. Please give me your thoughts and let me know if you've heard any of these and what you ended up with.

PS: Other factors: # of inputs (need at least 4 and would prefer 5. this leaves out the Boulder) and weight. Even if I could afford the price of the Humboldt my weak back wouldn't allow me to move it! thanks.

Reactions: Passionate98
I'm retired too and I've just finished putting together my end game setups. I use a McIntosh integrated amp and a McIntosh amplifier, Conrad-Johnson for preamplifier.

Most people that I know are putting together massive systems for their retirement setup. I prefer a smaller setup, always have.

Are there any local shops in your area that carry any of your mentioned choices?

I've heard Soulution separates, but not any of their integrated amplifiers. Same for Boulder.
I like Soulution & Boulder products. Either would be a good choice from a sound point of view.

A local shop carries carries D'Agostino but I've not heard their stuff. The reviews are good though..
Like all other forums everyone will have their opinions as to what's best. However, only you can make the best choice for you.

Good luck and happy listening. :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu