Which Wilson speakers released within the last 10 years are SET friendly (20W)?

sheppard

May 18, 2016
Northern California
Wilson speakers have a reputation for being difficult to drive.

The amplifiers often paired with them are high-powered and mostly solid state (D'Agostino, ARC, Doshi, VTL, Boulder, McIntosh, Naim, Bryston, Ayre, Constellation, Mytek, Aesthetix, T+A, Moon, DarTzeel, Soulution, CH Precision, Krell, Mark Levinson, Rowland, Pass), with Lamm being the exception.
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...-what-others-are-favorites.23617/#post-465407

Which, if any, of the speaker models they've released in the past 10 years would be a reasonable match for SET amplifiers in the 20W range? I know that Steve for example uses the Lamm ML3 with his Wilson Alexandria X2, but are there others in their lineup that could work in a typical living room (15' x 20')?

Summary of responses for SET friendly Wilson speakers (or Lamm SET anyways):
MAXX 3
3.4 ohm minimum impedance around 25 Hz
89.6 dB sensitivity
https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-maxx-series-3-loudspeaker-measurements

X1 Grand Slamm
4.6 ohm impedance at 80Hz
95 dB sensitivity
https://www.stereophile.com/content...-1grand-slamm-loudspeaker-system-measurements

X2 Series II
3.5 ohm minimum impedance from 700 Hz to 1000 Hz
95 dB sensitivity

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
IMHO unfortunately no. Although they have good efficiency, Wilson speakers have low impedance and are not good matches with SETs that have high output impedance.

Electrically their best speaker for SET was the Grand Slamm - high efficiency and adequate impedance.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, agree with Micro who is far more knowledgeable than I. I have the original X1/Grand Slamm and still keep the reviews, tests and articles. I think it is about 95db efficient a fairly stable load at roughly 6ohms overall other than a 3ohm dip somewhere in the 17khz range from memory...and other elements that are typically measured apparently were fairly benign. Nevertheless, even the Grand Slamm loves high quality power and will do great things with it.

However, it certainly was not made within the last 10 years. That said, there are a number of them in great condition in circulation.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Vladimir Lamm has shown his SETS with MAXX 3s. 4 Ohms, 90db. Still, Wilson's can belie their specs.

There are very different opinions on the use of MAXX3 with LAMM SETs. I have owned both, but not at the same time and I would advise anyone to be very prudent with such choice. Stereophile measured 3.4 ohm minimum around 25 Hz and 89.6 dB, IMHO it s not SET adequate. The X2 has similar impedance: 4.2 ohm in the bass, 3.5 in the 700 - 1000 Hz, but adds 4 dB to the sensitivity - a much better match IMHO.

Reactions: tima

sheppard

May 18, 2016
Northern California
If I expand the range to Wilson speakers released within the last 15 years, would that add any more models for consideration?

For example, the more recent Watt/Puppy 8 is 92dB, though with a minimum impedance of 2.2 ohm at 77Hz. I believe Lamm exhibited the ML2.1 with the Watt/Puppy 8 in the past.
https://www.stereophile.com/content...s-wattpuppy-system-8-loudspeaker-measurements

I understand that phase angle matters as well but I'm still learning about it and don't have any intuition on how to interpret those phase angle graphs.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
There are very different opinions on the use of MAXX3 with LAMM SETs. I have owned both, but not at the same time and I would advise anyone to be very prudent with such choice. Stereophile measured 3.4 ohm minimum around 25 Hz and 89.6 dB, IMHO it s not SET adequate. The X2 has similar impedance: 4.2 ohm in the bass, 3.5 in the 700 - 1000 Hz, but adds 4 dB to the sensitivity - a much better match IMHO.

Perhaps. Wilson's are easier to drive than the numbers alone may imply. You and Mr. Lamm may disagree about what works well with his products.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing