Why is the recent generation of tube gear so much more resolving?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
CJ also made another unit, I believe the Evolution pre, that used nuvistors. I had one and was glad to get rid of it because the nuvistors constantly went noisy.

That was the one drawback with nuvistors....microphonics. When Ampex designed the MR70 electronics they mounted the nuvistors in modules that are essentially isolated and vibration free. The electronics use 3 modules,bias,reproduce and record for a total of 10 nuvistors, each shielded with large brass block heat sinks. There are also 6 nuvistors on the main board for a total of 32 nuvistors per stereo pair. The very few companies that pursued the nuvistor other than Ampex failed to design for the nuvistor properly. Also the nuvistor's introduction was at the beginning of the transistor introduction and economies of scale took hold....the rest is history.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I have a custom-made preamp as a backup, sounded quite decent off the shelf and some months later I decided to upgraded it with Mundorf caps, the mod brought it three steps back in sound quality. :(

I recapped my Ampex 350 with Mundorf supremes,silver oils,and SGO's. I also used Mundorf electrolytics in the power supply. I lost count of the hours it took for the gain to settle and reach maximum. The Mundorfs are a interleaved design and are like 2 caps in one enclosure. My experience is that they are among the best sounding caps made. If I had to guess how long it took for the recap to come up to speed I would guess 1,000 hours,but the size of the capacitors used in my Ampex 350's is about 3 times what the originals were. YMMV

p.s. The mundorfs yielded the most controlled bass I have ever heard in any preamp.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I recapped my Ampex 350 with Mundorf supremes,silver oils,and SGO's. I also used Mundorf electrolytics in the power supply. I lost count of the hours it took for the gain to settle and reach maximum. The Mundorfs are a interleaved design and are like 2 caps in one enclosure. My experience is that they are among the best sounding caps made. If I had to guess how long it took for the recap to come up to speed I would guess 1,000 hours,but the size of the capacitors used in my Ampex 350's is about 3 times what the originals were. YMMV

p.s. The mundorfs yielded the most controlled bass I have ever heard in any preamp.

The Mundorfs are excellent and a great performer given their price. I would suggest someday, if cost is no object, giving the Duelands a try :)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The Mundorfs are excellent and a great performer given their price. I would suggest someday, if cost is no object, giving the Duelands a try :)

Myles....only if I hit the lottery:D Btw most all the techs I know think I'm crazy now....imagine walking in with a bag of Duelands...:eek:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles....only if I hit the lottery:D Btw most all the techs I know think I'm crazy now....imagine walking in with a bag of Duelands...:eek:

Good thing then that they're no superlatives to crazy! ;) It's like being slightly pregnant; either you are or you aren't!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
CJ also made another unit, I believe the Evolution pre, that used nuvistors. I had one and was glad to get rid of it because the nuvistors constantly went noisy.

Their premier Seven four box preamplfiier also used nuvistors in the phono input - two per channel. I think I still have a few 6CW4 somewhere in my garage. I could get the RCA and GE ones, and remember that I had a preference for one of the brands as it was statistically less noisier, but can not remember which anymore.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
You rarely ever see a Premier 7 come up for sale.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing