Why is the recent generation of tube gear so much more resolving?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Seems like in the last 2-3 years the batch of tube gear from companies like ARC, CJ, VTL, etc., is so much more resolving. What is the cause? Is it the circuits, the tubes, or something else?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think it is parts. Particularly caps. I have a few DIY amps using decades old circuit designs. Put in teflons and up goes the resolution. Just my very limited experience experimenting with a few different coupling caps.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Don't forget the resistors. the Z-foils are very good.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Haven't had my tech roll 'em for me Roger. What's the character change you noticed? He likes using tantalum, usually Audio Note. I don't think I've had any other.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Seems like in the last 2-3 years the batch of tube gear from companies like ARC, CJ, VTL, etc., is so much more resolving. What is the cause? Is it the circuits, the tubes, or something else?

Circuit in the case of cj. Getting rid of the cathode follower in the phono and pre and new, lower impedance, driver stage in the amps. Plus Teflon caps in circuit and PS.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
One of our members had Teflon put into an old classic CJ premier...with stunning results...very close to the then flagship LP275. I think as mules would know better than I, circuit topology or something was advanced one big step further in GAT and ART amps... those 2 changes for CJ I think are both big improvements.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I thought we decided that tube gear was obsolete.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Guess that means perhaps as many as half of WBF needs to upgrade their systems! Incl me! Honestly, with enough work, I know I could find either a SS or tube system that i could happily live with...fortunately don't have to. I have both in the system.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

ROTFLMAO!

Don't forget turntables and tape too! And unpowered speakers.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
It's the newer capacitors. This is the greatest advancement in today's equipment sound. Capacitors... the final frontier.

rgrg.JPG

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Biggest difference- more companies adopting CCS loading on the small signal tubes. Makes the tubes a lot more linear, also lowers differences between different tubes.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Haven't had my tech roll 'em for me Roger. What's the character change you noticed? He likes using tantalum, usually Audio Note. I don't think I've had any other.

Resolution,clarity,detail,ect,ect.

I have used tantalums in my 440 and they are very good,but the foils are better. They are the teflon of resistors. I have ordered some TX2575 custom values for my MR70 modules needing just 3 for the high mu triodes and the feedback loop. These nuvistors are the most linear of all tubes,so I'm hoping with the teflons and the Z-foils,the result will be stunning.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Roger :D

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

imo, not over the last 2-3 years but certainly the last 20-30 yrs. we've come full circle on passive parts, theres an entire sub-culture that thumbs its nose at metal film resistors and teflon caps, they instead scour the earth looking for the last remaining stash of NOS carbon resistors and paper in oils caps. if one is right is the other wrong?

we have lamm and BAT and many other tube equipment mfrs that didnt exist when i got into the hobby, the progress i've noticed stems from more players with diferent design philosophies than anything else.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
imo, not over the last 2-3 years but certainly the last 20-30 yrs. we've come full circle on passive parts, theres an entire sub-culture that thumbs its nose at metal film resistors and teflon caps, they instead scour the earth looking for the last remaining stash of NOS carbon resistors and paper in oils caps. if one is right is the other wrong?

we have lamm and BAT and many other tube equipment mfrs that didnt exist when i got into the hobby, the progress i've noticed stems from more players with diferent design philosophies than anything else.

I think there's still more improvements to come on the passive side. as far as CR's and PIO's.....it's all subjective. At todays pricing of hi-end equipment,you better get quality parts or your getting ripped off.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think amps are starting to become simpler as well as more speakers are higher efficiency. Fewer gain stages, lack of global negative feedback, etc.

VTL Wotans and ARC 600s seem so 1999.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I think amps are starting to become simpler as well as more speakers are higher efficiency. Fewer gain stages, lack of global negative feedback, etc.

VTL Wotans and ARC 600s seem so 1999.

and in 1989 it was the VTL ichiban and ARC M300;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Lamm uses Metal film but insists on Carbon resistors.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Recordings are getting better in the digital space too...nothing to do with circuits and parts but also another important link in the chain.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Recordings are getting better in the digital space too...nothing to do with circuits and parts but also another important link in the chain.

So how do you tell when you listen to a system (or yours) whether the issue is with the system or the system revealing something in the recording that your equipment doesn't?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing