Why, oh why, does vinyl continue to blow away digital?

...actually, I think it may be contrary to Taiko's philosophy. They have done what they can to reduce noise from processing. The new I/O moves the NIC and USB (or other output) to a separate chassis, and runs it off batteries. Although it may be run inside the new server on battery as well.
All true but as you well know, HQPLAYER requires extreme processing speed and power. The Taiko philosophy is in conflict with the HQPLAYER requirements.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus
The fact that there is no alternative does not mean you have to use the only flawed tool at your disposal to draw conclusions. Silence is always an option :)

Ironically, it seems that you are now the biggest poster of systems videos on this site.

Last edited:
but he does not constantly tell us his are the best sounding....throwing them in our faces. or they are proof of something.
Can you please post a quote of me stating that mine are the best. I usually let my system videos speak for themselves.

It seems that you are now the biggest poster of systems videos on this site.

I don't think I can quite compete with you when it comes to volume, but regardless, that does not mean I don't understand their limitations (especially when it comes to the criteria you mentioned).

I don't think I can quite compete with you when it comes to volume, but regardless, that does not mean I don't understand their limitations (especially when it comes to the criteria you mentioned).

What do you make of the fact that I feel that my system videos are representative of the gist of the sound of my systems?

Ours is not to reason why but only to enjoy

You didn’t answer the question. What is better than videos for comparing two systems in different geographical locations?

Flying to hear each one in person. Videos are crap.

Flying to hear each one. Videos are crap.
You would need to rely on aural memory for comparative analysis. Aural memory is fleeting and not as good at documenting the sound as audio recordings. Hence the basis of our hobby are audio recordings.

You would need to rely on aural memory for comparative analysis. Aural memory is fleeting and not as good at documenting the sound as audio recordings. Hence the basis of our hobby are audio recordings.

Aural memory of a real system sound, flawed as it may be, is still far superior to comparing system videos. I don't think there is even a contest.

Besides, even if you concede that aural memory shifts the parameters of comparison to some extent, that shifting by unequal recording conditions between systems in different rooms is much more severe.

The only time when you (hopefully) can avoid different recording conditions is while documenting component exchanges in the same system while recording equipment is the same, the microphone position is in the same place, the recording volume precisely equalized etc. And even then the recordings can give you only an exceedingly crude idea.

Reactions: Lagonda
Aural memory of a real system sound, flawed as it may be, is still far superior to comparing system videos. I don't think there is even a contest.

Besides, even if you concede that aural memory shifts the parameters of comparison to some extent, that shifting by unequal recording conditions between systems in different rooms is much more severe.

The only time when you (hopefully) can avoid different recording conditions is documenting component exchanges in the same system while recording equipment is the same, the microphone position is in the same place, the recording volume precisely equalized etc. And even then the recordings can give you only an exceedingly crude idea.

No one is trying to normalize the analysis. They are just relative comparisons of resultant sounds, just like you would do in person. If these audio recordings are not accurate then how can studio and live recordings with more microphone feeds, mixing, mastering, and post production be more accurate? These commercial recordings serve as the basis for our hobby.

How do you reconcile saying that simple and “purist” audio recordings of systems are less accurate than commercial recordings, which form the basis for our hobby?

Last edited:
No one is trying to normalize the analysis. It is just a relative comparison of resultant sound, just like you would do in person.

Obviously, you are ignoring my arguments. Fine, I am done anyway saying what I wanted to say. People who are open to the arguments will understand them.

Let's not turn this into another system video thread.

Obviously, you are ignoring my arguments. Fine, I am done anyway saying what I wanted to say. People who are open to the arguments will understand them.

Let's not turn this into another system video thread.
The only thing pertaining to videos is that the audio recordings just happen to be embedded in the videos. We are talking about audio recordings.

No one is trying to normalize the analysis. They are just relative comparisons of resultant sounds, just like you would do in person. If these audio recordings are not accurate then how can studio and live recordings with more microphone feeds, mixing, mastering, and post production be more accurate? These commercial recordings serve as the basis for our hobby.

How do you reconcile saying that simple and “purist” audio recordings of systems be less accurate than commercial recordings, which form the basis for our hobby?

I am surprised that you don't know the difference between a professional studio or live recording and an iphone recording of a system in a listening room.

I am surprised that you don't know the difference between a professional studio or live recording and an iphone recording of a system in a listening room.

I have been in recording studios and know all miles of cables, mixing & panning, the many insert panels that the signals go through and the processing and effects added to commercial recordings. Compared to that, an audio recording done at home on an iPhone is a “purist” sound recording.

I happen to have two complete very high-end mastering studio set-ups here at home including a Sadie5 SACD authoring DAW with DSD editing capabilities.

I have been in recording studios and know all miles of cables, mixing & panning, the many insert panels that the signals go through and the processing and effects added to commercial recordings. Compared to that, an audio recording done at home on an iPhone is a “purist” sound recording.

I happen to have two complete very high-end mastering studio set-ups here at home including a Sadie5 SACD authoring DAW with DSD editing capabilities.

Impressive résumé. Do you listen to any albums that were recorded with an iPhone? Perhaps you should launch a new label and offer to record artists in your living room with your iPhone?

The only thing pertaining to videos is that the audio recordings just happen to be embedded in the videos. We are talking about audio recordings.
Yes; very low quality digital recordings of audio.

Costs does not correlate with performance and that is pretty apparent on the comparisons of the different system audio recordings that are shared and compared.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing