Why the lack of love for Bartok?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I hold the opinion that Bartok is over rated and pretentious.The compositions ask no questions and provide no answers.

With all due respect and IMHO, I find your view of Bartok's music to be overly presumptuous, myopic and pretentious.

Chacon a son gout

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
With all due respect and IMHO, I find your view of Bartok's music to be overly presumptuous, myopic and pretentious.

Oh, but lest we forget his view is the voice of exquisite, tasteful "high culture".

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
30th of May I went to barbican to watch Julia Fischer do the Beethoven concerto, which was very nice, and then Pagannini second caprice for encore (i usually start my auditions using the second caprice). I vaguely remembered the second half was not something I wanted to watch when I had bought the ticket, but on the day I had forgotten what was on in the second half. The main reason to go for that concert was the Julia Fischer Beethoven.

Both my gf and I thought the second half was awful. Then I looked at the booklet and it said Bartok concerto for Orchestra.

Reactions: KeithR

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Both my gf and I thought the second half was awful. Then I looked at the booklet and it said Bartok concerto for Orchestra.

I don't get it. At the same time you like Led Zeppelin.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I really can't remember her name. She played the Viola iirc and this was about 1966. Maybe Krips and Ozawa conducted her,but her level of understanding Classical music was impressive. One of the teachers in my life that made a profound difference. This was in Belmont.

Well I have never had a La Tache. The 1966 Romanee Conti was a spiritual experience for me and my brother. We both felt that the wine exhibited a earthy complexity and breed that the vines brought forth as if they were planted at the time of Christ on Earth. I have only drank a few wines with breed and complexity that even came close,but none matched the Conti, all old vines....pre phylloxera.

Thanks, Roger. I came to the Bay Area for grad school in 1967 and bought a student series for the SFS when Joseph Krips was still the music director. So I am sure I heard and saw your teacher play. A few years later Ozawa was a guest conductor and the SFS hired him, I think, in 1972 as the next Music Director. Boston grabbed him after another 3 or 4 years, but he kept both positions until the late '70's when he went to Boston full time. There are still two or three members of the current orchestra who were hired by Ozawa, none from the Krips era are still around.

Larry

Reactions: tima and RogerD

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I don't understand this "composer bashing". Can someone please explain why. Seems like this could be WBF's version of "kicking the dog".

One composer I like, which I'm sure many don't, is George Crumb. Try "Haunted Landscapes". Have at it gentlemen.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I don't understand this "composer bashing". Can someone please explain why. Seems like this could be WBF's version of "kicking the dog".

Why? It is to save Western High Civilization from the onslaught of barbaric dissonance and cacophony. It is High Culture against the wannabees. The supreme reign of melody against lower standards.

Reactions: tima and KeithR

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You'd think someone was ranking Katy Perry and Nina Simone.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

One composer I like, which I'm sure many don't, is George Crumb. Try "Haunted Landscapes". Have at it gentlemen.

When a thread is started with the subject why the lack of love for Bartok, what do you expect?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I don't understand this "composer bashing". Can someone please explain why. (...)

I will risk an explanation. Perhaps Bartok and some other very dynamic and less melodic composers are not too well served by vinyl and excel on digital, sometimes played by young performers that challenge the old masters or those who are considered the "best" performers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I will risk an explanation. Perhaps Bartok and some other very dynamic and less melodic composers are not too well served by vinyl and excel on digital, sometimes played by young performers that challenge the old masters or those who are considered the "best" performers.

Incorrect. I was referring to Bartok live, and actually, Bartok vinyl is excellent. It is in much better condition than the other originals (possibly because few people play it), and it makes the system sound very impressive with slam bang precision effect. You should really investigate and write, instead of putting forth an incorrect theory because it serves your purpose of incorrectly positioning vinyl with respect to digital

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

The latter certainly. There are many more recent performers who successfully challenge the old masters. The so-called "golden age" of performers is far over-rated. For example, I love Dorati in many things, but his Haydn Symphonies cycle, which was groundbreaking at its time, had been a favorite of mine for decades and still has to be considered as very good, is in my view eclipsed in most aspects by the cycle with Dennis Russell Davies conducting the Chamber Orchestra Stuttgart, released in 2009. Unfortunately, this cycle is not available on vinyl, and thus by definition cannot be as good ;), in spite of what I just said.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
instead of putting forth an incorrect theory because it serves your purpose of incorrectly positioning vinyl with respect to digital

If Francisco would really dislike vinyl that much, he would not recently have bought a TechDas Air Force One Premium turntable, would he?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If Francisco would really dislike vinyl that much, he would not recently have bought a TechDas Air Force One Premium turntable, would he?

He bought it so he could say that dCS is better.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Incorrect. I was referring to Bartok live, and actually, Bartok vinyl is excellent. It is in much better condition than the other originals (possibly because few people play it), and it makes the system sound very impressive with slam bang precision effect. You should really investigate and write, instead of putting forth an incorrect theory because it serves your purpose of incorrectly positioning vinyl with respect to digital

I was not addressing your comments, there were much more interesting ones on this subject in this particular WBF thread... Sorry!

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
He bought it so he could say that dCS is better.

Wrong again, as usual - for this purpose I have two Studer A80's ... :cool:

And I always say which I prefer, not which is better.

wil

Jul 22, 2015

I agree -- George Crumb has given us some great music.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

I've heard his sonata for solo cello and liked it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Reactions: Al M.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing