Wi-Fi and CAF What's the deal?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
CAF's dirty little secret. Or is it the Hotel?

Each year since CAF has used the Twinbrook Hilton everything seems to work swimmingly. A great venue. You can just exit the Metro and walk right into the hotel.
So what's the problem. Wi -fi. I always hear this familiar refrain? Can you play a digital selection for me? We would like to but we have a limited library. You see Wi-fi is offered only at a premium So we are only playing digital files off our laptop. Apparently Wi-fi is only offered at a premium and the exhibitors refuse to pay it.
I think it is time to complain and get this situation rectified.
What say you?

Last edited:

InfigoAudio

Industry Expert
Jun 14, 2022
Kelowna, BC, Canada
www.infigoaudio.com
CAF's dirty little secret. Or is the Hotel?

In one of our 2 rooms we were able to get wi-fi streaming going for one day, paying the premium for access. The next day, the connection failed and all attempts to get this restored were not successful. Streaming in the other room didn't work at all, despite using the same device.
The problem was the redirection page of the hotels wi-fi, it failed to redirect properly on our streamer devices. Still no clue as to why it worked on one of them the first day...
Perhaps a 'class action complaint' to the hotel might do something but I really doubt they even care...
I'm sure it's not CAF. The hotel just has its quirks IMHO....

Cheers, Hans.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Since Qobuz is big promoter maybe they will get involved.

Reactions: InfigoAudio

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
There are ways around it but you have to be tech savvy. I streamed the entire show minus about 20 minutes when the hotel booted me. Using my phone as a hotspot, the sound actually improved.

Thursday we ran into major issues that took the hotel hours to fix.

The issue is there are no Ethernet connections in rooms anymore so you have to rely on Wi-Fi. In order to convert to ethernet, most shows charge about $750 per room. It’s an absurd cost.

Reactions: Gregadd and rando

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
A few things:

1 is it NOT CAF, they have their own crosses to bear but not in this instance
2 the Hotel's WiFi is indeed throttled, HHonors and HHonors Lobby
3 the Hotel's Premium option releases the throttling to an extent, but it is all on the same network

The network can get pretty saturated and in some cases tethering one's phone and making it a hotspot would definitely provide greater/improved bandwidth, although It just might incur some extra mobile charges depending upon the customer's individual plan. :)

Some folks were getting creative and using a device similar to this one, a WiFi to Ethernet adapter:
Amazon.com: BrosTrend Universal WiFi to Ethernet Adapter, 300Mbps on 2.4GHz, WiFi to Wired Converter Wireless Bridge with RJ45 Port for Printer, Smart TV, Blu-Ray Player, etc, Connect a Wired Device to Wi-Fi : Electronics (as long as the connection is live and constant, there need not be any redirection once the connection is initiated.

Bottom line: Rather than rely on streaming exhibitors should load up a portable 1 TB hard drive with music and make it their "SHOW" drive which is taken to all shows. Streaming has its own "Achilles heel" and that is the vagaries of the Internet. I feel for those who audiophiles who make streaming services their primary/only source. :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing