Xiph Foundation Leader Calls High-Res Audio a Waste of Bandwidth

Thomas.Dennehy

Jan 5, 2012
Bloomfield Hills MI
Christopher "Monty" Montgomery (of Ogg and Vorbis fame) took to the pages of xiph.org today to argue that distibuting music at resolutions above 16/48 make no sense.

His opinions as to what bits are significant are as subjective as anyone's, his calculations are not incorrect, and I wish he could have found a more authoritative reference for information theory than Wikipedia. (Or is that an open source community thing?)

Thoughts?

It is a well written article for an online report of that type. In reality a much more authoritative and specific version exists from Bob Stuart: http://www.meridian-audio.com/w_paper/Coding2.PDF

I like Bob's conclusion better that we need just a bit more than 16 bits/44.1 Khz. Minimum sampling rate he picks is 56 KHz from what I recall. Bit depth is fine at 16 if proper dither is used. So in reality we want more than that since we don't know if people do the right thing.

I think the best argument for getting high-res music is because that is what is produced. If we can accommodate the bandwidth and storage, we might as well get what was in the studio that the talent approved. Any resampling and bit depth reduction can potentially change the sound some and if done wrong, change it fair bit. For that reason, it is better to not mess with the bits and send them along as is.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing