Zanden 1200 Signature, Soul Note E2 question

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Recently I participated in and contributed vinyl to a Zanden Electronics products demonstration held at Kyomi Audio in Addison, IL. The primary focus of the event was demonstrating the equalization capabilities of the Zanden 1200 Signature phonostage. Many recordings from different record labels, stereo and mono, were featured. Especially highlighted was the selectable function Zanden defines as the "4th time constant"; high for Neumann cutting lathes; middle for Ortofon cutting lathes, and low for Westrex lathes.

Subsequently, I emailed a question to Soul Note Germany as to whether or not their E2 phonostage has the same capability/function. They answered by referring me to the E2 manual (which I had already read).

Can anyone speak to whether or not the Soul Note E2 functionally replicates the "4th time constant" function of the Zanden 1200 Signature?

l to r: Eric Pheils (Zanden US distributor), George Vatchnadze (Kyomi Audio proprietor), John Tverdik

20230311_191017.jpg

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I cannot find this in the manual either, but I forwarded you question to Hideki Kato from Soulnote.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
4th time constant
to get a better ore more detailed answer, you might describe the „4th time constant“ , defined by Zanden.

I owned the Zanden 1200 MKII without this function and my Soulnote E-2 is doing an equalization as described in the manual, which has more flexibility, than the former Zanden 1200 MKII.

so difficult to explain, what might be missing, without your explanation what Zanden is now doing / changing on the curves.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
to get a better ore more detailed answer, you might describe the „4th time constant“ , defined by Zanden.

I owned the Zanden 1200 MKII without this function and my Soulnote E-2 is doing an equalization as described in the manual, which has more flexibility, than the former Zanden 1200 MKII.

so difficult to explain, what might be missing, without your explanation what Zanden is now doing / changing on the curves.
I agree and would like nothing better than a clear definition of the phrase and specifics behind its implementation in the 1200. Armed with those details a determination as to whether or not the E2 can also provide that function would be possible. I've been unable to obtain either.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing