Zero Distortion Digital Dangal: Jazzhead's System - Neodio Origine, Trinity, Aqua Formula, Stahltek

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Talks a lot, drinks beer, and rushes out? Probably guilty of all three Ked LOL.
However I heard Bill’s GG for longer this time, and I felt less averse to it. And Justin’s Lampi is up to snuff too.
But on balance these experiences, plus the few I’ve had at shows, are not compelling to me.
I played a couple of drum heavy dynamic tracks at Bill that day, and to say I was underwhelmed was an understatement, although the GG pulled it back from the brink with great tone, timbre and air from string qt material.
OTOH, Justin’s Lampi Big 7 off a much less sophisticated source (basic laptop, unremarkable cables) into Apogees was much more compelling.
These data points are a little conflicting to say the least, other than no conclusions to be drawn, and Lampi is not the only dac to be unafflicted by digititis. It’s all in the setup/circumstances. And that’s why fascinating as Ked’s travels are, and interesting as his reports are, I wouldn’t call them rankings, just time capsules.
Just as I found the GG to be dynamically challenged that day at Bill’s, Ked found the Formula to be lean that day at Arshad’s. Both our findings are of interest only in and of themselves as a flavour that day.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bill is now using the normal 45s. With the special 45s it will be a few levels higher. And then, he has a new system, and you didn't compare to another digital. My aqua was compared to three other dacs. And it was done over two days, comparing more, chatting less

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi Asiufy , must admit that my system is not ideal for instant compares , with its comprehensive grounding schemes constantly chopping and changing , unplugging and re plugging the earth cables does disturb the equilibrium . It takes a while to settle back . Having said that the Origine was subjected to the same the first time it was inserted , it had settling time the second time Ked visited and sounded even better . I think my Stage 3 Leviathan power cords are pretty up to it , so don't think can point any fingers there . Possibly the AES cable was a mismatch , hope to investigate when time permits . Having heard the Formula elsewhere , would be hard to classify it as full bodied. Seasons best to you .

P.S. Also do take into account that mostly all observations made were using un amplified , highly complex big scores and not girl with guitar type music.

For the record, I don't listen to "girl with guitar type music". Electronic music will show if a DAC is lean or full, and we've run the Aqua, and it did have earth shaking bass. Of course, classical music was also used often. And again, we never used anything but the USB port.

In all fairness, I do agree that the Aqua is not the last word in treble extension, so if you want a little more sparkle, look elsewhere. OTOH, and rather puzzingly, it does portray ambience really nicely, with very wide, deep soundstage, almost as if there was a tube in there somewhere.

I don't have a problem with your findings, I do have with your comment about "inherent leanness". That is demonstrably false, as I can find way more than two systems where the Aqua will NOT be the LEAST bit lean.

Again, if I had to guess, I'd say you "mooked" the Aqua into leanness... The fact that other gear reacted differently to the mooks doesn't change the fact that you have changed the character of the Aqua considerably.

Seasons greetings to you and your family as well :)

cheers,
Alex

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
When Ron revisits, he’ll find me with the digital source he really liked at first listen that he reported on here, even better than ever, with upstick from upgraded power cord and fuse, and an analog source to compare that is a bit more challenging than some in terms of a much more forensic start-stop quality, much more neutral and linear, with less bloom than some (esp my old belt drive/pivoted arm rigs I ran for 15 years).
He may choose to stick with playing music solely off the cdp .

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, as an avowed cdp guy, the Origine is the piece of gear in your visit of most interest to me. Can you elaborate in a bit more detail what it did right that the others failed to quite match?
I believe it’s availabile now 40% cheaper factory direct from Neodio, which puts it €15-20k?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yes his home system wasn't optimised to sound good with Neodio

You keep saying this but what does that mean really? The amps were wrong? The preamp was wrong? The speakers? The footers!!!???

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You keep saying this but what does that mean really? The amps were wrong? The preamp was wrong? The speakers? The footers!!!???

It means the Trinity pre, cables, grounding, were all connected to the incumbent Trinity dac. Voicing of overall system was for Trinity. Yet, the Neodio came out cold and was better.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, as an avowed cdp guy, the Origine is the piece of gear in your visit of most interest to me. Can you elaborate in a bit more detail what it did right that the others failed to quite match?
I believe it’s availabile now 40% cheaper factory direct from Neodio, which puts it €15-20k?

Marc, it's 14k euro plus VAT. I already said what it did better, in fact, it was much better. It isn't even a consideration for me compared to those other dacs. Of which I liked only Stahltek, would like to hear back from Jazzhead what happens after it settles in.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well that makes it reasonable value in the marketplace (as such for a cdp), my Tentation is €10k, Autographe is €15k. Not much else in the “organic” SQ category for CDPs at these prices.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well that makes it reasonable value in the marketplace (as such for a cdp), my Tentation is €10k, Autographe is €15k. Not much else in the “organic” SQ category for CDPs at these prices.

Ok. Nice bit of Ked, your compares are invalid, but the Neodio interests me.

If you do get it for a demo, you will need to buy back the mooks from Jazzhead

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, I just meant it was nice to hear something about the Origine. Neodio, like Eera, Audiomeca, APL, and indeed Stahl Tek are one of those brands who get/got no mainstream coverage.
So it was good to read your words. I just think to claim rankings in an unfamiliar room with unfamiliar ancillaries needs to be taken at very face value.
And I’m so past Mooks that for me a component needs to work on its own merits, or on my Stacore, to score a hit.
Certainly if I was looking at a standalone cdp, the Origine would be top of the list along with Eera.
And I’d say the same should apply to anyone looking for a cdp too.
It’s good you’ve highlighted the Origine. Too bad Stahl Tek are no longer.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
All you see doing Marc, is extrapolating how you go to unfamiliar systems and don't isolate components. Regarding unfamiliar room and ancillaries, the owner is part of the shootout validating the results (as is another regular to the room friend of his). You are a random guy over the internet who hasn't been there, done that, voicing opinions

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Don't have a comment on the compare, but a $35k dac that has this for the insides?

View attachment 37988

Given the size of the box and the emptiness inside, I am not surprised it needs vibration control ...to be honest big empty boxes do seem pointless, unless to Shield components ...and there seems to be some shielding power supply and transport, but not elsewhere?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
It means the Trinity pre, cables, grounding, were all connected to the incumbent Trinity dac. Voicing of overall system was for Trinity. Yet, the Neodio came out cold and was better.

Well, I always liked what I heard in rooms with the Neodio...kind of like I always enjoyed rooms in the past with Audio Aero La Source...it was highly musical.

Still, I am not convinced by what you say that the system was voiced specifically for this DAC.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Ked, what is the internet for if it isn’t voicing opinions ?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
All you see doing Marc, is extrapolating how you go to unfamiliar systems and don't isolate components. Regarding unfamiliar room and ancillaries, the owner is part of the shootout validating the results (as is another regular to the room friend of his). You are a random guy over the internet who hasn't been there, done that, voicing opinions

I guess you guys are back for mingles after the Ho Ho Ho period.
This sounds awefully familiar. I must have read this comment before somewhere.
I like the words David used in another thread "circle jerking." :p

Tang

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing