Ron's Favorite Private Rooms + Systems of All Time

I bought my house for the relative large listening room and garage, garden, bathrooms and kitchen where low on my priority list. I might even take out the 3 of the rooms upstairs to get better ceiling hight in my listening room. Electricity is not up to code, with American outlets on my dedicated audio lines, holes have been cut in the wood floors where the audio "stand" has been cemented directly to the foundation. I will be dead when someone tries to sell the house anyway ! ;)

Would make for a fantastic Air B&B ..

Reactions: Pokey77
I will be dead when someone tries to sell the house anyway ! ;)
maybe change that phono before it blows up again, might live longer

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K and Lagonda
Well Girl with guitar is easier to record and get correct than it is to record a Symphony at full chat. Most symphony recordings don't even come close to capturing the realism of a symphony , add audio system playback deficiencies and you need a pretty strong imagination to make it happen ..

Girl with guitar less so ..

If you really want a wake up call place a grand piano in your listen room and have it played at full chat ..

Regards
I think you are right about nearly all symphonic recordings. This is why I prefer smaller ensembles, with or without piano, to get the gist of how close a system gets. That said, even with the limitations of recording tech, good symphony recordings have probably the widest dynamic range of all genres.

Not necessarily, big room yes, if your amps are up to the task you don't need high-efficiency !;)
I once was close to buy MBL 101s and called Ken Kessler/arrogant prick he was, and asked if should go for MBL or Watt Puppy and he called the MBL1 accordion from Mars...ha-ha...went for Wilson Audio since my room wasn´t symmetric

• Haha
Reactions: Argonaut
Not necessarily, big room yes, if your amps are up to the task you don't need high-efficiency !;)

I'll beg to disagree here if we are talking about the highest level of comparison and sonic characteristics.

Aficionados of high sensitivity systems typically feel that such systems exhibit a kind of speed which cannot be matched by brute force power through low efficiency speakers.

I'll beg to disagree here if we are talking about the highest level of comparison and sonic characteristics.

Aficionados of high sensitivity systems typically feel that such systems exhibit a kind of speed which cannot be matched by brute force power through low efficiency speakers.

and purity of the recording preserved through a simpler signal path

Wife’ys tend do be like that… No understanding of an important speaker placement :D !

You just need to them show them who is boss

I prefer the fast light footed dynamics of hi eff, rather than trying to squeeze the cow through the meat grinder...

Fair enough! It is a subjective hobby.

This is why there are many different types of loudspeakers to satisfy many different combinations of sonic preferences.

They just haven't heard a good setup or are to focused on trying to run everything with tubes. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K
Fair enough! It is a subjective hobby.

This is why there are many different types of loudspeakers to satisfy many different combinations of sonic preferences.
This assumes everyone has exposure to same speakers. Many of the horn aficionados have moved from low sensitivity for a reason.

also that’s like saying digital and analog are equal, as there are both to satisfy different tastes

Reactions: PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing