1917 - Official Trailer [HD]

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Steve

I missed your review in this thread otherwise I would have posted here. I won't repeat myself because your review is spot on.

Not sure if you noticed but the actor who played Lt. Blake one of the two soldiers brother is Richard Madden. He was excellent in Bodyguard one o the better British TV series from about a year ago.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Just saw it. No question- this is excellent film-making. I'd bet my house that it gets the Oscar for cinematography. Because of the "one-shot" accomplishment, if Mendes wins best director (again!), I won't disagree. I've never seen anything like it. For much of the movie, I kept thinking "how the hell did he do that?" But he didn't just do it, he did it seamlessly. I wasn't even a typical combat movie. It was almost more like a thriller. And in the end, it was about heroism, which is why it was a beautiful movie.

Still rooting for Irishman but this is the one that might triumph on Oscar night.

A really good year for movies, that's for sure.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Good movie, but I preferred Hollywood and still hope it wins.

Innaritu did the whole one-shot thing for Birdman a few years back. It's not new persay, but it did make a significant difference to feel more involved in war. I'm not sure it beats the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan though for that.

Lots of great, basically cameos. Firth, Cumberbatch, Madden, etc.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
If tomorrow night 1917 doesn't win six Oscars I will stop watching movies for the next two weeks.

* The Irishman (which I really liked) ... one Oscar, or perhaps zero. It is what it is.
The arrival of 1917 put the lid on the coffins of The Irishman, Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood, and Parasite too.

IMHO ... from my eyes and ears @ the service of the arts and sciences in films.

? https://www.lapresse.ca/cinema/2020...les-oscars-la-touche-montrealaise-de-1917.php

Use your language translator ^

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I think the 2 sleepers for tomorrow‘s Oscars are Parasite and once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Parasite will win Best Foreign film BUT it could also win Best Picture

So also Hollywood loves QT so anything is possible

i still think 1917 will win however the film that should win is Joker as it remains my overall favorite for the year

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think Hollywood votes for itself in the end and QT wins his first Best Picture. It hits all the Academy buttons moreso than 1917.

But will find out manana!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing